PDA

View Full Version : Squeak on Shutdown??

Forced Induction
04-17-2002, 15:10
Did anyone ever encounter a squeak when the engine is shut down on the DMAX?? It sounds as if a pulley is stoping before the engine and belt and the belt is slipping for a second when you turn it off. It is perfect on start-up and when its running, but does it always, hot or cold when turning it off. Truck has only 1000 miles on it and has just started in the past 100 or so miles. It sounds like the tensioner but it's tuff to pinpoint. I might get a stethascope and try that. I don't want to really take it to the dealer because I don't trust anyone to work on my vehicles except me, but if something is broke I have no choice unless I want to pay for it. And to boot I just got my K&N in today and don't want to put it on if I have to go to the dealer. Any ideas or input would be appreciated!!

Thank Again,

Jason A.

mackin
04-17-2002, 16:17
Nothing broke serpentine belt doesn't stop as quick as your High Compression D-MAX does.......It goes away with time (wear) mine only does it occasionally .... Try the search there was a thread about GOODYEAR GATORBACK serpentine belts I think..... It's good you do your own maintainentce. I prefer to also......
MAC :D :D

More Power
04-17-2002, 16:57
Check to ensure your fan-clutch isn't locked in the engage mode.

MP

DSLPOWR
04-17-2002, 17:58
Both '01 and the '02 do it, seems to go away with time.

MNBowTie
04-17-2002, 19:12
Forced Induction,

I suspect it’s the belt as well. At about 1000 miles mine started making a squeak as well. It sounds like a bearing going bad somewhere. I trusted my dealer on this one and I will find out tomorrow, if they are right. They were able to reproduce the squeak and confirm it by testing it with water. The belt was out of stock, seams to be a nation wide stocking issue although.

tonkater
04-17-2002, 20:19
My 88 6.2 ext cab does the same thing. Has done it for last 100,000 (plus) miles. Dealer tech told me it caused by rubber left on the pulleys with serpentine belt. Changing belts doesn't seem to change it , since it doesn't do it every time I shut it down.

Not sure why you wouldn't put your K&N filter in because its going to dealer - ???? My trucks been in dealership for oil changes with k&N , and is not an issue with them.

Wilky
04-17-2002, 21:18
The belt noise is common to most Compression Stroke engines. The reason is that a Higher Compression engine when turned off comes to a stop quicker then a lower compression engine. The belt still has kinetic power, thus you hear a squeal or squeak noise. Every Navistar and Cummins in a truck that I have driven does this. On Tractors you don't hear it, because you turn them off via a fuel shut off valve. The valve is slower to react and the motor slows before a complete stop.

[ 04-17-2002: Message edited by: Wilky ]</p>

mdrag
04-17-2002, 22:34
Mine did it occasionally before I added the dual alts, now it squeals/chirps/squeaks (or what ever you want to call it) every time I shut down:

http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=002936

Forced Induction
04-18-2002, 20:41
Thanks for all the input guys, I wount even worry about it any further. I will promptly install the K&N filter as soon as possible, probably this weekend. I can't wait to magnify that magnificent turbo sound. I find myself slowing in traffic just so I can hit the go pedal and listen to the turbo spool up and whine down!! smile.gif Thanks again guys! In a few more miles I may try to join you juiced up folks and see how a diesel really runs!!

Jason A.

BOOMERHD
04-19-2002, 07:46
I must have missed something in an earlier post, but does the dealer have a problem with a K&N airfilter? I have gone to the dealer with all my mod's, including K&N on past trucks with no problem. I even went with a chip in my past trucks with no problems. I guess it depends on the dealer.

Boomer :D