PDA

View Full Version : 5" & 4" Exhaust Questions

Forced Induction
07-21-2002, 13:57
Has anyone ever used the 5" system offered by professional exhaust?? I know I saw it in a previous post and wanted to know if it fit well without any mods and does it sound any good?? I know there is no performace gains versus a 4" system but it is just the lure of a full 5" system. I saw a PSD at the track with one and it looked awsome, made the stock 3.5" look like a mixing straw.
Also, if you install a Banks or Kennedy system do they protrude past the bumper like the stock does without the tip installed?? I don't like tips that enlarge the exhaust size, it's like false advertising or something. tongue.gif
Lastly, has anyone ever installed the dual set-up from ATS? It looks good but I don't think I can handle that price, but on the other hand, dual exhaust tails would look great. Does it install nicely and sound good also??

Thanks again for any info

Jason A.

Juice is on the way!! (More IN)
Exhaust is Next!! (More OUT)
:D :D :D :D

tmg115
07-21-2002, 14:17
on the banks it would look good without the tip. it would be just about at the same place as the stock exhaust.

Kennedy
07-21-2002, 18:55
Jason,

I feel the same way about the "falsee" tips. Must be a "fast and the furious" thing :rolleyes:

With the 5" pipe, there arent a lot of potatoes that can plug it, so as long as no cats crawl in or no cantaloupes, you are pretty safe from pluggage :D

tpitt
07-21-2002, 22:02
Forced Induction:
I have the A.T.S. Dual setup on mine. I really like the quality of work and the sound of the exhaust. It has the 4" to 5" enlarged polished stainless tips on them and they look good on the duals. I get a lot of positive comments on my exhausts. There are a lot of "wanta be exhaust systems" out there, and these (A.T.S.) are expensive, but they are by far the best quality exhaust system I have seen, so far. I haven't seen them all though. tpitt

[ 07-22-2002: Message edited by: tpitt ]</p>

Reno DMAX
07-22-2002, 10:53
Forced Induction,

I'm saving up for the ATS dual stainless system. When tpitt stopped in Reno after having his system installed by ATS in Utah, I had the chance to crawl under his truck and check it out. Simply stated, it was a work of art! And it sounds just as great as it looks! smile.gif

SalmonExpress
07-22-2002, 11:01
I also have installed the ATS dual exhaust. Have had many positive comments about it and does sound great. I installed mine myself and the installation was faily easy, but the fit around the spare tire was a little tight. It took a few adjustments to get it not to touch the spare and if you are thinking of larger tires, a larger spare will not fit. It also lowered the exhaust temp about 150-200 degrees.

Scott

tpitt
07-24-2002, 19:07
SalmonExpress,
Just happened to be looking under the back of my truck, and I have quite a bit of room around my spare. I believe I could even gain a lot more by revamping the back two hangers a bit. I never installed these. A.T.S. did while I was in Salt Lake City, but I do a lot of installs on Fords and Dodges and you can ususally finagle (sp?) them around where you want them. That is if you have a quality kit to begin with. As I said before there are a lot of "wantabes" out there, so a person has to be careful which one he or she buys. tpitt

Reno DMAX,
Thanks for the compliment on my exhausts. It was a pleasure to meet you and the other guys in Reno. I only lost $10 in the Peppermill, not bad for me. :D :D tpitt

StevePala
07-24-2002, 19:26
I've got the 5" exhaust from Professional Exhaust, it sounds great and looks even better.
So many people ask me about that "big sewer pipe" behind the rear wheel. Installation was easy, pull out the old, hang the new and weld the joints. Exits out the side like the old, but it is adjustable. Nothing like 2 hours of quality time under a GMC. Definate performance improvement over stock, bigger is better in my opinion.

GMC-2002-Dmax
07-24-2002, 21:27
StevePala,

HEY,

I WOULD LIKE TO CHECK OUT THE 5" EXHAUST SOME TIME. EVER GET OUT TOWARD THE WEST SIDE OF CT. LET ME KNOW. I TRAVEL ALOT, MAYBE WE COULD MEET OVER TOWARDS WATERBURY. MACKIN LURKS ABOUT OVER THERE I HERE.

GMC :D

FRMLPLR
07-24-2002, 23:34
ave to agree with tpitt on the ATS system. Drove his truck at Norcal rally(heck he forced me! :D :D ) Big block sound with looks to back it up, course it doesn't hurt that it is juiced!! Haven't seen/heard any others yet.

Terry have you installed the AFE kit yet?

Dmax son
07-25-2002, 02:20
Any of you guys with the ats dual muffler kit, who makes the muffler? Does Ats make there own or is it like a dynoflow muffler??

Bryan

REC06
07-25-2002, 03:22
Stevepala,

Please e-mail me with 5 inch exhuast information also, do they have a web site? Thanks rec067@comcast.net

mackin
07-25-2002, 20:25
REC06,

=&gt;http://www.professionalexhaust.com/

I went with the Banks, but I'm looking for a 409 stainless tailpipe..... I can get aluminized but I want SS..... I might get my own pipe (I'm pricing ) and have it bent,(I'm looking) but if I can find one done I'll go that route.... I emailed them got no response.....YET !!!!!!!!

MAC :D

[ 07-25-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

CSDMAX
07-25-2002, 21:31
Well Mac,

Did you get it installed yet??? If so, how do you like it? From the sound of your message you have not setup it up. Your gonna wait for the SS tailpipe, aren't ya....

mackin
07-26-2002, 05:47
CSDMAX,
It's on and once things get back to normal round here, I'll get some PICS up...... (Visitors) Without the tip the tailpipe ends inside the body panel....... Excellent system, a real good "TIGHT" fit....... Sound is MELLOW and very nice.......Took really no time to install, did it on the ground, disconnected right shock, jacked "one" place behind right leaf spring, to remove old exhaust.....Instructions were right to the point, SIMPLE......
Either I'll find a 5" tailpipe, or get one bent, soon.......

What do you all think of my chances of getting them steel hangers pre bent and ready for welding? Wonder if the local shops around me have them? Tells you how much I visit them.....This tail pipe will probably cost more then the system...... :eek: I got the adapter........

MAC :D

[ 07-26-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

tpitt
07-26-2002, 11:54
FRMLPLR:
Yes I have the AFE stage II installed. Not sure how much difference it made though. I didn't have to twist your arm too much for you to try my truck. :D :D I just thought you would be impressed.

Dmax son:
Not sure who makes A.T.S. muffler, I might be able to find out when I have a chance. Even the guys at Edge were impressed with the exhaust system. Too bad its so pricey. :( :(
I've been spending way too much on my truck lately and still have more to buy.

Terry