PDA

View Full Version : glowplug question

SledZep
07-21-2002, 15:03
If I want to listen to the radio with the doors open (and not have the chime) I have to leave the key in the "on" position. Will this hurt the glow plugs if left like this for long periods after the "wait" light goes out?
Will the dome override switch do anything to stop the chime??

DURA-MAX3
07-21-2002, 15:10
I would not leave the key in the on position because the glow plug system is energized for the whole time. Use the acc. and turn the dash light roller all the way down, i think that will kill the door chime. If you leave the running lights on and don't want the buzzer going off roll it down to kill it. I think it does it for the door chime also, but could be wrong...

Kennedy
07-21-2002, 18:51
The glow plugs and intake heater should run their respecyive cycles and then shut off, so I dont think it should matter. I removed the entire chime module on my '96, and frequently do so when working on others, but do not believe it to be that simple on the later trucks... the c

IndigoDually
07-21-2002, 19:13
You can flip the latch in the door (the part that grabs the Nader Pin) and that will trick the truck into thinking that the door is shut. You have to then grab the door handle and manually open the catch to close the door again. If you don't when you slam the door it will give you a thud that you won't soon forget.

John

txguppy
07-22-2002, 14:12
I too am peeved by the key in the ignition chime. On my previous truck, '93 Chevy Z-71 I cut the chime wire coming off the harness attached to the steering column. It was a beige/white wire, I believe. Don't know if it still is. Maybe someone out here knows or can find out which wire it is?

txguppy

SledZep
07-23-2002, 09:25
Thanks everyone. i do not mind the chime at other times so I am trusting Kennedy on this (who wouldn't) and just going to keep on doing it the way I have been.

Kennedy
07-23-2002, 09:32
If I get a chance later, I'll see about locating the chime module. It may be possible to remove it, but keep in mind that the headlights on and other features will be disabled as well. It may well be possible to locate the wire feeding it for just the door circuit and insert a switch.

I'll also look at the BCM on the Tech II and see if it lists any options/settings (doubtful)