PDA

View Full Version : Lond time lurker, with a problem.

2ning
08-17-2003, 06:56
I own a 2001 4 door shortbox Dmax with an allison. It was one of the first sold in this area. It has had many problems from not starting when it was unloaded from the truck at the dealer to just yesterday's fix replace a broken turbocharger outlet bracket. I don't think there is anything that hasn't been done to this truck as far as service bulletins or reporgrams to CM's. The truck has 41000 miles of these 35000 has been towing either an 8000 lb jet boat or a 7000 lb snowmobile trailer. My problem is when it gets up to temp. which is just under 210 and the outside temp. is around 85 and above and the rpm is 2600 and above it has a noise. I believe I know what the noise is when the pilot injection shuts off and this is not the same. This is a rattling and if it was a gas engine I would say a missing sound that continues after the pilot injection shuts off. It doesn't seem to affect the performance any, no black smoke, no ses light. I had a diesel tech from my dealer ride with me using a tech II and didn't find any problems. The noise is not intermittent, the tech from the dealer agrees it is there. It is very annoying when passing someone or pulling a long hill. It has not always been there and I hope I can get rid of it. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Kennedy
08-17-2003, 07:30
The first thing that jumps out is programming. While you stated it was done, it wouldn't be a bad idea to see if it REALLY was.

There is a patch in there SPECIFICALLY pertaining to noise above 2600rpm.

2ning
08-17-2003, 09:07
Thanks John for the reply. I don't know if you remember talking to me about this a few weeks ago. Since then I took it to the dealer and supposedly had all updates done, I made sure the fuel filter was new, I know I need a better fuel filter system and made sure the air filter is clean. Because I explained the sound as a rattling the GM technical assistance must have thought it was something loose and recommended the exhaust bracket which was broken and they replaced it. I have heard talk from the tech about maybe a fuel pump issue (the pump has been replaced lope idle). Monday I will go back to the dealer, which I am a regular at, and ask about the updates and mention the patch that addresses the noise above 2600 rpm.