PDA

View Full Version : Do the winter covers alter your mirror temperature readings?

Jorday
12-13-2003, 20:01
It's about 10 deg out here and I've been running the grille cover for a while and finally added the bumper cover tonight, too. I was going down the interstate at 70 mph and the mirror temperature thing is saying crazy stuff like 50 degrees. Could it be that the winter covers are blocking the airflow to the sensor and it's picking up a bit of underhood heat? Does anyone else notice this, or do you think I have a bad outside temperature sensor?

urcndust
12-13-2003, 20:12
You bet it does, might as well wet your finger and stick it out the window as accuracy will be similar. I believe some have relocated the sensor so it is more accurate, but I don't have these details.

Jorday
12-13-2003, 20:16
Originally posted by urcndust:
You bet it does, might as well wet your finger and stick it out the window as accuracy will be similar.lol, I figured that the cover was causing the strange readings.

VA_Dmax
12-13-2003, 21:49
If Im not mistaken I think John Kennedy has a shot of the temp sensor relocated on his store website. Try www.kennedydiesel.com (http://www.kennedydiesel.com) then click "Tech Tips" button on top, "Duramax Tips", and there should be a picture and link for outside air temp sensor relocation. I havent tried it myself, but my temp in the mirror display usually shows significantly higher than outside temps.

Idle_Chatter
12-14-2003, 05:26
The temperature probe for the mirror is mounted to a bracket on the center support inside the grill. When you put on the grill cover portion of the winterfront, you trap the probe between the cover and the radiator and it reads that temperature. If you look through the grill you can see the probe and its wiring on the driver's side. I popped off my grill, snapped the probe out of it's bracket, moved the probe over to a pre-existing hole in the plastic skirt between the headlight and daytime running light. This puts my probe in an open slot between the lights and the grill, even when the grill cover is installed. I think John Kennedy moved his probe down behind the bumper skirt, which is a much more involve reroute than I had to do.

Jorday
12-14-2003, 07:06
Ok, maybe I'll try to move the location of the sensor. I hadn't seen that on John Kennedy's website until now.

Jordan

Bill Harper
12-14-2003, 08:19
There is also a factory hole that the sensor can be mounted in that exposes it to the air holes in the bumpers on the 03 and 04 models. This is a easy and quick relocate, and the results are the same as JK's. Just my input. ;)