PDA

View Full Version : oil smells slightly of fuel

REC06
07-21-2002, 23:04
just did an oil change about 100 miles ago. oil level is the same as when I checked after the oil change(best I can tell) for some reason I smelled the oil on my fingers after whiping the dip stick. Swear it had a slight smell of diesel. I compared the smeel to that of the un used oil left in on of the gallon jugs and was definitly different. only 4500 on my 2002, not sure of build date. Is this at all normal? :confused:

FormulaPro
07-22-2002, 06:44
Used oil is going to smell somewhat of diesel oil...it is holding by-products of diesel combusiton in suspension. If you are concerned that fuel is getting into the oil, put a drop on a piece of paper. The fuel will weep faster on the paper and leave a second ring around the drop.

IndigoDually
07-22-2002, 07:22
Coffee filters work great for that test.
If the oil level did not rise then I would not worry. If there was a significant amount of fuel in the oil you would notice it higher on the dip stick.

John

REC06
07-22-2002, 15:46
Thanks, i'll try the test just to be sure. I was a bit freeked out because I also got a "check oil level light" I had removed the ez amp because I could not tell the difference from the lowest setting to the highest. so to be sure i removed it and bamb the light came on. Been watching the level no rise. I reset the error message by removing the batter connections (both) re-installed the amp and bamb no more light. Hauled my 7000 lb landscape trailer all day and no trouble...