PDA

View Full Version : Boost definitions

Sneaks
12-14-2003, 10:56
Over the months here on TDP, I've learned both the value of and the necessity for EGT gauges plus endless threads on the dangers of overtemp. On the other hand, boost is often mentioned but rarely discussed in depth. Doing "The Google" results in very little hard info on this aspect of a turbo boosted diesel like the Duramax.

I'd like to learn more in depth info on what one can expect to see as "normal" day to day boost readings, the changes expected under loads like towing, and more importantly, what to watch out for as far as abnormal readings one might experience and how to react. Duramax specific would be an added benefit, of course.

Anybody got some good URL's or threads they've seen?

Thanks

Hound
12-14-2003, 15:36
This may be helpful to ya. Not Dmax specific though. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo.htm

Wendell Sorrell
12-14-2003, 22:35
Hound,
What a great site! I went to take a quick look and spent a couple hours looking around. Answered a bunch of questions I've had! Thanks, wendell

Sneaks
12-15-2003, 07:13
Thanks Hound. That info is pretty basic and doesn't really address boost issues but it's a good overview of turbos in general. Hopefully somebody on here will write something more in-depth.