PDA

View Full Version : What muffler is the best

ford2chevy
07-22-2002, 07:50
I would like to replace my muffler on my truck with one that flows better. I am considering a straight pipe. What do you guys think?

mackin
07-22-2002, 09:51
ford2chevy,
Most that straight piped say the exhaust isn't that loud, probably a bit more than I would like ...... My only experience with a straight piped Chevy is a 93 6.5 turbo, I don't like the sound that is why I'm not doing it....... Which muffler it's pot luck....... I'll being going with the Banks system and hopefully a 5" tailpipe (working on it with Jannety) now....... If I do the 5'er I'll be panhandling the 409 4" tailpipe if your interested,or anyone else.......Therefore you could or anyone else interested, get a 4" inlet outlet with a reducer and come out back with a 4" tailpipe........ Just an idea, to keep in mind, as I've yet to get my system together.......

MAC :D

DMAXDiva
07-22-2002, 10:05
Hey ford2chevy:

Let's put it this way...if you really want to attract attention to yourself, a straight pipe will turn your truck into a big black BRAP attack! Again, that may be exactly what you are looking for, which is certainly fine, just not some DMAXers cup o'tea.

I wish I had recorded a clip of the straight pipe before putting the Banks on for comparison's sake, but I will say this; if you want an inexpensive alternative to stock, the straight's the way to go.

Big-Popper
07-22-2002, 10:59
DMXDiva,
Is the banks quieter in the cab? I bought a small DYNOMAX muffler and installed it. I think its probly not much quieter than a straight pipe. I am thinking of the banks but, it would have to be quieter in the cab than what I have now. It is loudest around 1500rpm`s with load. What do you think?

DMAXDiva
07-22-2002, 11:50
Hi Big-Popper:

I've made a couple of audio files of the Banks that you can listen to...one is outside at idle, another is inside the cab with a/c off and windows up during a full throttle punch to 85mph. You can get some idea of how quiet is in the cab even under full throttle when you hear my husband at the end of the clip announcing "there's 85" at regular conversation level.

I'm going to make a few more clips inside cab at highway speed to show how quiet it really is...not as quiet as stock, but certainly tolerable, and no annoying resonances...should have those new files up by Wednesday.

[ 07-22-2002: Message edited by: DMAXDiva ]</p>