PDA

View Full Version : 03 Fuel INJECTORS BAD AGAIN

roadrat68
12-14-2003, 11:16
ok at 20,000 or so miles i had a fuel injector go bad no biggi was mad but it could have been just a bad inj. but now my truck is back in the shop at 37,000 miles and now 4 inj. are bad dealler thinks that the 22,000 psi of fuel pressure is blowing the injectors apart.
im very un happy camper does any one here know if GM is comming out with a new style injectors to fix this problem.
sad part is my new truck is sitting on the lot that i was supposed to buy but the paper work from GM hasnet cought up to the dealership, on my old trucks buy back. Second problem is the new O4 was built in dec with out the LLY engine. I think im screewed... ANy insite on this? :mad:

Hound
12-14-2003, 11:28
Your dealer sounds kind of clueless if he thinks pressure alone is the culprit. The system was designed to work at those kinds of pressures, otherwise EVERY single truck out there with the Dmax would be having early inj failures. Since that's not the case, its apparent that pressure alone isn't the cause. It probably has much more to do with dirty fuel rather than pressure alone destroying the injector.

[ 12-14-2003, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Hound ]

trout49
12-15-2003, 06:47
I may be all wet here, as I am NOT a diesel expert by any means, but I have an 03 with over 25k on now and no injector problems for the past 23k miles. At about 2k miles mine would shudder a bit taking off from a stop. Dealer checked the injectors and all read good except no. 8 injector. It was "borderline". They suggested I try a fuel additive like Stanadyne, to try to lube the fuel system and clean the suspect injector. Well it worked. After only one tank it ran smother and didn't shudder anymore. It must have been a dirty injector.
Now like I said. I am NOT a diesel expert like some on this page. But that worked for me. And I have used Stanadyne on every tank since, and not a single injector problem since. I'm sure there are other additives that would work just as good, but I can get Stanadyne locally and don't have to mail order it. It might be worth a try.