PDA

View Full Version : Amsoil Dual-Stage Filter #123

ndamico
04-18-2002, 11:24
I just received my Amsoil dual stage air filter and cannot get it to fit my truck. It is part # 123, and something tells me that it for a 2001 airbox, not my 2002. Can anyone confirm/deny this? the shape is about the same as my stock air filter, although it is thicker and wider all around by about an inch. I don't think i should have to smash the heck out of it to get it to fit. and here's the real dumb question. which way is up? the larger-celled foam with the amsoil logo, or the cutout section showing the metal frame?

thanks again. also just ordered the Fumoto valve with nipple...i see what you mean by oil going everywhere. now i won't have to make another cardboard deflector!

nick

bmoeller
04-18-2002, 11:32
I put this number filter in my 2002. It is a tight fit but makes a good seal. The metal mesh should be up.

ndamico
04-18-2002, 11:34
i guess i'll smash it in there...did you re-oil it? mine seemed quite oily out of the package. i presume its pre-oiled?

Norquist
04-18-2002, 11:40
Well, I guess I'm not the only one who went through this. But... my best guess was course filter material side down with mesh up so you can see it. Reasoning be it in my mind anyway, is you have the course 1st stage then the finer as secondary filtering. And yes cram it in there get all four screws started then tignten them down.

Hopefully some one will corret me if I'm wrong but figured I had a 50 / 50 chance of getting it right??

KenZ
04-18-2002, 12:24
ndamico,

You should do a search and read some previous comments on this. Do not push filter all the way into the bottom section. Only halfway, or you will not get a seal where the two halfs of the filter housing come together. the metal should be about even with the top of the bottom filter housing, so the filter should be halfway in the bottom and halfway in the top section.

Ken

KenZ
04-18-2002, 12:27
forgot to add that some people suggested getting as much oil off the filter as possible. Use a paper towel or something. Some filters apparantly had too much oil and caused sensor problems

Ken

Hillbilly Jim
04-18-2002, 12:46
I went through the same thing when installing my Amsoilfilter. Seems to me that for the price we paid and all the crowing about the filter from the reps they could at least include instructions for installation.
Just my two cents., I was very disappointed with the product.

Tader Jack
04-18-2002, 13:53
I've got an Amsoil filter also. I agree with those that think the thing fits lousy. Way too tight. Hey Amsoil, how about some instructions since the fit definitely is a problem. If it fit correctly to start with there would not be a question, but it's awwful tight in my opinion. Most people are used to an oem or K&N fit, which is "normal".

This is abnormally tight and one has to guess as to how far to shove it down. If it wasn't for the posts in this forum I would have tossed it back to Amsoil for a refund. I'm using it, but don't particularly like the fit at all. Never had a filter of any type for any vehicle fit this tight, ever.

Jack Schultz, McKean, PA
jackschultz@adelphia.net

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/jack_schultz2001/rlst

Pipe – Pipe – Pipe – I need a Pipe . . . Whose should it be?

2001 Chevy Silverado, 4-WD, 2500HD, Crew Cab, Short Box
LT Trim, Black Onyx w/ Tan Leather
Beltronics 980 Radar Detector • Blinder M-10 Plus Laser Radar Jammer
4 Rockford Fosgate FRC2206 Full Range Speakers • Husky Rubber Floor Mats
Lund Interceptor Wind Deflector • J&J Stainless Steel Tube Grill
Putco Stainless Steel Bed Rails • Access Roll-up Tonneau Cover • Pendaliner SR Bed Liner
DTA Stainless Running Boards and Mud Flaps • VentShades • Pop-Lok Rear Tailgate Lock
Lucerix Remote Control X-Mount Camper Mirrors • Unity Dual Door-mount Halogen Spotlights
Air-Lift Super Duty Ride Control w/ Dual Controller & Onboard Compressor •
Tekonsha Voyager Trailer Brake Controller • Uniden 510XL PRO CB Radio, Wilson Antenna
Kennedy Diesel Headlight Harness with 4 Lamp Mode • PIAA Platinum Super White Headlight Bulbs
Amsoil 2-Stage Air Filter • FPPF Total Power Diesel Fuel Treatment • FPPF 8+ Cetane Improver
Amsoil 15W-40 Synthetic HD Diesel & Marine Engine Oil • Amsoil Series 2000 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube (GL-5)
------------------------------------------------

xpladox
04-18-2002, 16:50
OK guys Stop, You are doing it wrong. That is ok, I did it wrong the first time. This is how it works. Do not put the Filter into the bottom part of the box. The only part that should be pushed into the box is the part of the filter below the metal. The metal part should sit flush with the top of the bottom of the box. the foam above the metal will be compressed when the screws are tightened down forming a good seal. I repeat, Do not put the metal part of the filter into the box, it should sit flush.

Hope I did not worsen the issue.

RichBailey
04-18-2002, 17:22
Xpladox is right about install. The reason foam fit is so tight is to eliminate air leaks at seam between top and bottom half. This is where most of the unfiltered air gets through.

GMC D-Max
04-18-2002, 17:28
Shoot, I've had my filter for two weeks now, and still haven't got it installed!! I'm still waiting 'til I have the time to swiss-cheese my airbox, but, thanks for the helpful info on the installation, guys!

Tader Jack
04-18-2002, 18:38
xpladox --

Maybe we are doing it wrong, but the point is that the filter doesn't fit correctly, irregardless of what Amsoil says. Their reps **** me off a bit when they tell us we are doing it wrong, but they don't include the proper instructions with the filter. I didn't get anything telling me how to clean the filter either. Maybe we have to guess at that also. Let's face it, if it was made right, it would drop in and still seal properly as every other filter on this planet but this one does.

How difficult should a filter be to replace? In all my years this is the worst fitting, filter I have ever used in anything.

Amsoil . . . you can do a lot better than this. It makes me wonder about their stuff. They should just take care of it can quit making excuses.

christo
04-18-2002, 21:32
I think Xpladox explained the filter install pretty good.
The Amsoil rep delivered my filter to the door, and remembering all the grief mentioned here I invited him to install his filter.
He did it just as Xpladox suggested; bottom half/layer inside the filter box, top half clamped under the cover.

Christo

LanduytG
04-18-2002, 21:44
I guess you can have it fit like the OEM or K&N and have air leaks which means dirt along with it. I have sold over 250 of these filters and have had only one guy return it. As for instructions, I have never in my life taken a filter out of the box that had instructions. I try to tell all my customers how it goes in and to wipe off any excess oil. As for cost I guess you can buy the K&N that cost half again as much and lets in the dirt too, but I guess that it will just fall in place.
Greg

ndamico
04-18-2002, 23:31
Thanks for the info. I just installed the filter and it fits nice and snug. My only problem was that when i first looked at it, i didn't expect it to fit so tight. i have heard that the airboxes are different in 01's and 02's (perhaps i'm wrong) so i thought the air filter might have been made for an 01. my bad. filter fits good. sticker on top of airbox too. nice addition to remind my forgetful self when to clean it. as always, thanks for the advice!

DmaxMaverick
04-19-2002, 02:22
I've been running the Amsoil filter for about a year now, and have had it out 4 times for cleaning (probably too often). When I installed it the first time, I didn't even look for instructions. Just installed it with half in the box, half in the lid. Made sense to me, and it works. I had no doubts then or now that there is any chance that there would be any leaking going on, which is happening much of the time with every other type of filter (my opinion). The other types (OEM and K&N) rely on the compression of the box and lid to seal it. I guess I don't have enough faith in plastic and 4 screws. If the fit was even a little tighter with the Amsoil, I could live with it. I have found, when I removed it for cleaning, that there is a "dam" of grime just under the seal, and NONE above it. Good enough for me! Kinda made wonder where that stuff went with the OEM filter (Summer is really dusty here). As far as maintenance goes, the instructions were on the box I took the filter out of, besides, it's the same as every lawn mower I've ever owned that had a foam filter. Those didn't come with instructions but I figured it out when I was 10 years old.

The filter boxes for the 2001 and 2002's are the same internally. The only difference I've seen is external.

This is not a difficult issue. If you want superior air filtration and performance, go with the Amsoil. If you want a filter that installs easy, take one of the others. It your choice.

BradL
04-19-2002, 05:41
For those of you that have the Amsoil air filter:

1) How do you clean it, and with what?

2) How do you re-oil it, and with what?

polaris800
04-19-2002, 06:37
I also fell for $50.00 dollars that you should have a filter that fits PERFECT period. Its crazy for anyone of us to ask for less. The last time I looked at what I paid for this vehicle is wasn't cheep $40,000 +++++ lets not settle for less. If ALL of us sent them back to Amsoil they would get the message big time. I think they are JUNK the fit is less then good quality.

AMSOIL READ MY LIPS))))) YOU SHOULD TAKE CARE OF THIS SHORTFALL OF YOURS FIX IT CORRECTLY!!!!!!!

WE ALL SHOULD NOT BUT ANOTHER ONE.

TA TA

crosenb
04-19-2002, 07:06
BradL

1) How do you clean it, and with what?
Dishwashing detergent works well.

2) How do you re-oil it, and with what?
Amsoil Foam Filter Oil part # AFO-BC.

Nels
04-19-2002, 08:44
Cleaning -- Wash in warm soapy water and let it air dry -- Just like the old Briggs and stratton.
To re-oil, apply the Amsoil filter oil to the filter foam and knead it in with your fingers -- Just like the old Briggs and Stratton. Some have suggested using a plastic bag for this to reduce the mess. Squirt oil on it and slide it in the bag, then knead it in.

We sure are a fussy lot here. We bit** about the flow qualities of the stock filter and airbox, then bit** about the filtration issues of the K&N replacement, then bit** about the Amsoil filter, which seems to address both of these issues, but fits a little snugly in the box. As was stated, a 10 year old kid can figure out how to install a foam filter in a Briggs and Stratton, but we seem to have some 30-40 year old men who can't do the same on a truck.

xpladox
04-19-2002, 09:12
I'm only 27 and I figured it out :rolleyes: I think we all have different opinions on how filters should fit. Some think it should be extremely tight, some think it doesnt have to be as long as there is a good seal. Personally, I think the amsoil fits great but I wouldnt mind seeing them put the rubber ring around it like the oem ones. A little cheat sheet with maybe just a picture wouldn't hurt.

As far as boycotting. :D :D :D :D Thats a good one. Lets let the whole world know that we DON'T know how to install air filters so we want to boycott. No thanks, count me out.

MaxACL
04-19-2002, 09:29
I can't find my butt with both hands and a flashlight but I got my new filter fit perfect. A superior product at a good price. Thanks Greg!

Mike :cool:

pinehill
04-19-2002, 10:20
Quote: "WE ALL SHOULD NOT BUT ANOTHER ONE."

Who could argue with that!

Tader Jack
04-19-2002, 14:20
Nels -

Your comment . . . "As was stated, a 10 year old kid can figure out how to install a foam filter in a Briggs and Stratton, but we seem to have some 30-40 year old men who can't do the same on a truck."

Sorry Nels, but I've put more filters in more equipment in my 57 years than I would care to guess. Semi trucks, dozers, shovels, backhoes, tractors, mowers, race cars, dirt bikes, street bikes, etc., etc. Never a question about how they fit until now.

My first thought is that they sent the wrong filter since it fit so badly. I have never, ever had a filter fit so poorly in anything, ever, period. Maybe you are right and 30-40 year old men can't figure it out. They can speak for themselves, I can't. But 50-60 year old men can't figure it out either. Any filter that I've ever replaced in anything fit beter than this Amsoil filter. Who are they kidding?

Seriously, why can't it fit properly, and drop in to the correct depth and still seal properly as any other filter on this planet except this one does. When I have to force something in to fit, I really have to question if it has been designed properly.

This is the only filter I have ever experienced in all my life that fit so badly. You have to guess which way to install it, wire up or down, how deep to push it in, is this the right filter? Maybe I should call and ask since I've never experienced this before. Those were my exact thoughts as I proceeded to replace my K&N with the Amsoil unit.

They also never included any cleaning or re-oiling instructions with the filter either. I've cleaned and re-oiled many other filters but this is the first time I received one without the proper cleaning and re-oiling instructions included since they all want to make sure you do it to their specs.

Do the Amosil filters fit as poorly in the Dodge and Ford diesel pickups as they do the Duramax?

Jack Schultz, McKean, PA
jackschultz@adelphia.net

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/jack_schultz2001/rlst

Pipe – Pipe – Pipe – I need a Pipe . . . Whose should it be?

2001 Chevy Silverado, 4-WD, 2500HD, Crew Cab, Short Box
LT Trim, Black Onyx w/ Tan Leather
Beltronics 980 Radar Detector • Blinder M-10 Plus Laser Radar Jammer
4 Rockford Fosgate FRC2206 Full Range Speakers • Husky Rubber Floor Mats
Lund Interceptor Wind Deflector • J&J Stainless Steel Tube Grill
Putco Stainless Steel Bed Rails • Access Roll-up Tonneau Cover • Pendaliner SR Bed Liner
DTA Stainless Running Boards and Mud Flaps • VentShades • Pop-Lok Rear Tailgate Lock
Lucerix Remote Control X-Mount Camper Mirrors • Unity Dual Door-mount Halogen Spotlights
Air-Lift Super Duty Ride Control w/ Dual Controller & Onboard Compressor •
Tekonsha Voyager Trailer Brake Controller • Uniden 510XL PRO CB Radio, Wilson Antenna
Kennedy Diesel Headlight Harness with 4 Lamp Mode • PIAA Platinum Super White Headlight Bulbs
Amsoil 2-Stage Air Filter • FPPF Total Power Diesel Fuel Treatment • FPPF 8+ Cetane Improver
Amsoil 15W-40 Synthetic HD Diesel & Marine Engine Oil • Amsoil Series 2000 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube (GL-5)
------------------------------------------------

xpladox
04-19-2002, 16:06
Don't force it into the box. Only push the foam below the wire into the box. Dont push the wire in, that is incorrect. The COARS part of the filter should go down because that is the first stage of the two stage filter. The fine material is the second stage so that should be towards the top of the filter box. It's like when you sand something. You use the coarse sandpaper first(first stage) then the fine sandpaper next (second stage). The filter definitely fits differently than any other filter but that does not mean that it is a bad fit. Let the oil tests speak for themselves. It has been proven that Amsoil filters filter better than K&N and OEM filters. We are jus experiencing growing pains guys. Its new technology.

Hillbilly Jim
04-19-2002, 18:55
I have to relate to what Trader Jack said as at 57 I have been installing all sorts of filters for many years.
All we were asking is some direction as Xpladox detailed above. My directions for cleaning mentioned seperating parts of the filter. From reading the forum I know they do not seperate, really the reps need to do a better job of providing info when selling their product.

odoh
04-19-2002, 23:17
I can relate to what Jack is saying. Also, at 57yrs of age I'm wondering if its the age or the fact that we are in the dawn of a new century?

odoh

GMC D-Max
04-24-2002, 08:53
I finally got my Amsoil filter installed last night (after swiss-cheesing the bottom half of the airbox), and I have to say while it's not a "drop-in" fit like the stocker, it isn't that difficult to install. With just a little patience and thought, it makes sense how it goes in. Other than having to lean on the lid a little to get the screws started, it's a pretty good fit. I don't have any foam hanging out around the edge of the box, and I would assume if it did, it would get torn after a couple R&R's to service it. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. Now if I could find a decent intake pipe to go from the box to the turbo.....

Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention my truck is an '02.

[ 04-24-2002: Message edited by: GMC D-Max ]</p>

mackey_62
04-24-2002, 11:39
Allright guys, enough!
Does anyone remember what they bought the filter for.
The peace of mind gained by knowing no dirt is getting into motor should far outweigh the temporary grief of installation.
So the fit isn't perfect, look at how your doors and hood fit with fenders(on any vehicle).
I myself will purchase one of these ill-fitting filters as soon as I find one.
Seriously, where can I order on of these? I've been to Amsoil website, but it didn't show any filters available for the Dmax.
Anyone want to send me their barely-used filter that didn't fit?
FYI I'm only 32, but confident I'll get it in there.

GMC D-Max
04-24-2002, 14:52
Mackey, I'm just barely 33 and I figured it out, so you should do fine! :D
You're right, though. Just because it does the best job of filtering crud, doesn't necessarily mean it's gonna be the best and easiest fit.

Check out another thread here about Greg L. I hear he's supposed to be the best Amsoil dealer around!