PDA

View Full Version : afe air filter box

moisheh
07-22-2002, 18:23
One of my friends runs a small repair/high performance shop. He called me over to look at one of these replacement air boxes and filter he was installing on an 02 dmax. Strange thing was that the old box had a rubber/foil cover over the air inlets from the fenderwell. My 01 does not. Mine has the funnel shaped plastic pieces that feed air to the filter box. Anyway, after the install we went for a test drive. I booted it and was amazed at the quick repsonse from about 25 to 50 mph. Of course mine is a crew cab 3500 and this was a 3/4 sb, but I was impressed. Any one else made these changes and noticed a difference?

Kennedy
07-22-2002, 19:26
There is a TSB out for your air box to convert it to the same setup as an '02. GM found that the filter minder was repeatedly being set off. I'd tell the dealer that it keeps getting sucked in and there should be a TSB for it and see what happens from there.

While you are at it. have him reflash the other updates as well.

moisheh
07-23-2002, 05:17
I dont understand. My 01 setup seems like it would get more air than the 02 with the inlets blocked off. Why would I want to update? Also according to my dealer there are no flash updates for my vehicle (produced March 01). Thanks

spctr13
07-23-2002, 06:13
Again the dealer is WRONG , if you have had no updates done , than your truck is on the list .

As for the airbox , new to old . The old type gets it's air from the wheel well , and can , WILL , ingest water in slushy , wet going . The new one blocks this off and gets the air from inside . It is covered under warranty , they have a retrofit kit for the dealers , and I couldn't see any adverse effect on performance . My truck was built Feb. 01 .

Mac

crafty
07-23-2002, 06:33
I've been back to the dealer for various things 3 or 4 times in the last year and every time they checked the computer for updates it came back negative. I have no problems that I'm aware of. My air box sensor is working correctly, I have no lopey idle so I will take his word. When I get close to the end of warranty I will take a good look at all theses things. My truck was built Nov. 00

Tinbender
07-24-2002, 17:38
After seeing the air filter minder showed a restriction, I found that nice piece of rubber /foil jambed in the airbox intake hole. A real FINE UPDATE! It's now taken up residence in my rear underseat storage bin.

Bob

moisheh
07-24-2002, 18:08
I knew that the foil/rubber was supposed to prevent water from entering the plenum, but it must also prevent a lot of air from enetering the chamber. I dont have any water in mine. I will choose to leave as is. That is inless I go with the afe air box? filter.

StevePala
07-24-2002, 19:11
I have the AFE box, it's a real nice set-up. I was told by Bob over at Professional Exhaust that AFE was started by an Ex-K&N Filter engineer.

It makes the turbo spool up faster as indicated by the boost guage and my body being pushed into the seat when I pass all those PSD guys. Not to mention the increased turbo whine is a sweet sound.

tpitt
07-24-2002, 19:29
I also have the AFE stage II box. I was also told that the AFE was a lot better than the K&N. This is something I am going to moniter real close though. I don't have a lot of faith in these cone shaped open filters. If it doesn't work out I will put the stock airbox back on with an Amsoil filter.
You would be suprised on the Fords and Dodges that I either "Chip" or put in fuel plates, how many I have run across with even stock paper filters that have been bypassing dirt. tpitt