PDA

View Full Version : New Guy.....

Paintdude
07-22-2002, 19:08
I bought a 2002 D-max, ext cab, 4x4,GMC,Cloth buckets,manuel 4x4....IN BLACK!!!!!!!!Last week and just love this truck..

I traded a 2000 GMC Z71 in on it..

I pull a enclosed motorcycle trailer with 2 bikes to Daytona from Illinois once a yr and to many superbike races around this area,Ohio,Wisconsin and georgia...the Z71 was just pulling it`s lungs out and I had my fill of no power and no brakes..the trailer has 4 brakes..

My guess is I will be a pain in the ass at times , so bare with me guys..this is my first Diesel and I am learning more everyday...

I have done my first oil change at 675 miles..got filters from the dealer for 12 bucks each, trans and engine..I am in the auto body bussiness so I get a discount on GM stuff...

No engine ticks after my oil change, glad to say and I heard the trans magnet snap when I tightened up the trans oil filter..the Allison dealer here can get me the magnets for 1.50 GM wants 8 bucks..and the allison dealer can get me the filters for 7 bucks...I sent him a credit app today..

I do body maintance for FEDEX in this area(mainly collision repair retail) and they use alot of the 1000 Allisons in the Utilimaster-Freightliner units..So I have a mechanic friend that has some experiance with them...He recommends changing the oil filter every engine oil change...

a oil guy just told me tonite that the hardest times on a diesel engine is when it is idoling..He said some trucks have shut downs if they idol over 5 minutes..He explained why but I can`t remember all the details, he said this is when the oil gets dirtiest, from to much idoling...

well some of these thing I have mentioned should get some interesting replies..thanks guys...I am here to learn....

I am the VP of this org..Check it out...http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/

i will post a link to a pic of my truck when I remeber where I put it on the net..

IndigoDually
07-22-2002, 20:16
You are going to love towing with this truck. You will have to put a note on your dashboard "Trailer in Tow", with the power of this truck compared to your old one you are going to forget that there is a trailer back there.

Congrats on the new ride. There is a wealth of info on this board just start digging.

John

[ 07-22-2002: Message edited by: IndigoDually ]</p>

Paintdude
07-22-2002, 20:31
Thanks, I was a firefighter for 20 yrs.I have seen alot of stuff..Mostly bad..the medical part of the job is rather intense, to say the least...

Latex gloves and pocket mask,etc..

This truck has such good brakes it is unreal..I have been driving it all week and got in my 96 S-10 today and almost couldnt stop it..The anti-locks kicked it..I never knew brakes on a vehicle could have such a good feel to them..and the steering on this truck is soooooooo Much better than the Z71 also...GM hit a home run on this thing so far..IMO... :D

NutNbutGMC
07-22-2002, 20:42
^..Checked your driveshaft yet???? ....LMAO :D
Welcome aboard.

Paintdude
07-22-2002, 20:48
Ya.it is a rusty ol'metal one..Why?

I like steel better than the aluminum ones..

Edit: I forgot..I do have another diesel..Yanmar Loader tractor..So I guess this isnt my first diesel..

[ 07-22-2002: Message edited by: Paintdude ]</p>

NutNbutGMC
07-22-2002, 20:50
1-piece or 2-piece? Just poking fun at ya', in a welcoming way, but there is an issue (TSB) with the 2-piece.

[ 07-22-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

Paintdude
07-22-2002, 20:54
one piece..

i put my K and N filter in this truck out of my Z71 and after reading some of the post in another thread it looks like I am gonna put the stock element back in it tommarrow..

I can get free oil anyalisis (sp?) if I use Archer Oil..Anyone using it?

Mine has the steering shaft rattle..I am gonna have them fix it someday..

[ 07-22-2002: Message edited by: Paintdude ]</p>

NutNbutGMC
07-22-2002, 21:09
^...Looks like you're on the right trail. One last thing though, there is this one character lurking around here that has a black machine, juiced to the hilt and has 5 aces in a loaded deck. Keep an eye out for this guy. ;)

Mackin, you rock Connecticut with that juiced up joy ride!
tongue.gif tongue.gif

Amianthus
07-23-2002, 09:57
Say, where in Illinois are you? Some of the loosely gathered TDR guys meet from time to time and you guys are always invited. Drop me a note if you may be interested. So far Jake99Z71 is the only one who has the nads to represent.

BTW, mackin is a freak!!! tongue.gif :D

mackin
07-23-2002, 11:06
Amianthus ,

HEY ..!!!!!!!!!!!

Have we meet,passed in a airport???????? tongue.gif :D tongue.gif

I got a mini D-max meet to attend, your gonna scare everyone away.......

MAC

Reno DMAX
07-23-2002, 13:57
Paint Dude,

How much would it be to paint my front bumper cap? Also, could it be completely smoothed?

[ 07-23-2002: Message edited by: Reno DMAX ]</p>

Paintdude
07-23-2002, 19:26
It can be smoothed out and painted, but it will not hold up to road use..IMO...It will be prone to chiping and with the added paint needed to smooth it out after sanding it. The chips will be big craters in time...They make flexable addatives and other stuff to assist this type of application, but I have never been satisfied with the results after time has passed..

I wont do it for you , because I can`t warrenty it....Sorry

If it is a show truck and you never drive it . It could work..

I am in central Illinois...

[ 07-23-2002: Message edited by: Paintdude ]</p>