PDA

View Full Version : Intermitently won't start

Jack's Dmax
12-16-2003, 16:15
Today my 2003 2500-HD 4X4 would not start after sitting for about 1 hour after a 20 mile trip. Tried jump starting with no results. The symptoms seemed to suggest that the batterys and starter were fine. My guess is that it was something to do with the starter switch. I did try shifting to neutral (Allison equipted)then park several times.

While waiting for the tow truck, I tried it again and it started. Now it's OK but being stranded like I was leads me to believe that this is going to happen again. Called the dealership and they said that I would have to wait for it to happen again then tow it to them.

I explained that this was not acceptable and that I wanted them to consider replacing the ignition switch etc. Dealer says NO that they can't start throwing parts at it. I asked if they had any service bulletins that might pertain and got the same answer.

To be crystal clear on this, the starter would not click or otherwise engage.

So my question is has anyone else had the same problem with intermitent no starting and was the answer that I got from the dealer appropriate for these circumstances?

Thanks and Seasons Greetings,

Jack

[ 12-30-2003, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: Jack's Dmax ]

More Power
12-16-2003, 18:08
Intermittents are usually the hardest problems to solve.

I would carry a multimeter or 12V test light with me, then probe all appropriate fuses (both on the side of the dash and under the hood), looking for a lack of voltage when the ignition key is rotated to the start position.

If you can identify a voltage problem (lack thereof) at one of the fuses during a time when the vehicle won't crank, you can take that information back to the dealer.

MP

Jack's Dmax
12-18-2003, 18:09
I was hoping that others might have had the same experiance with the intermitent problem of the engine not starting.

Anyone anywhere please let me know.

Thanks,

Jack

Jack's Dmax
12-18-2003, 18:22
I was hoping that others might have had the same experiance with the intermitent problem of the engine not starting.

Anyone anywhere please let me know.

Thanks,

Jack

mdrag
12-18-2003, 19:22
Jack's Dmax,

Does the engine turn over? Or nothing at all when you turn the key? Do you have an alarm system - factory or aftermarket? Did you or the dealer scan for DTC codes?

If the engine is turning over but not starting, a few possibilities come to mind:

1) Loss of prime from a leak in the fuel system or a big gulp of air/vapor in the fuel system. Check the fuel filter for leaks and tightness. Try bleeding the fuel filter and pumping up the primer if the problem recurs.

2) Alarm system malfunction.

3) Crankshaft position sensor problems.

I had a loose ground on the PS battery. The installer of my aftermarket alarm system used a battery bolt that was too long - the ground terminal was loose even though the bolt was tight. This caused a bunch of wierd stuff - including a few so starts - before I figured it out. Scan for DTC codes to help with troubleshooting. Good luck.

Jack's Dmax
12-18-2003, 23:35
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mdrag:
[QB] Jack's Dmax,

mdrag,

Thanks for your reply, as I had previously described, the starter would not engage or click. I tried moving the gear selector to neutral and park many times. After letting it sit while waiting for the tow truck, I tried it again and it started.

I think that it is the ignition switch or something similar.

Merry Xmas,

Jack

AlanL
12-22-2003, 07:02
When you turned on the ignition switch did the rest of the vehicle (except the starter) get electricity? Dash board, radio, etc...

If so, it seems to me as if your ignition switch is working properly and its more likely something with the passlock system or the transmission lockout that keeps the starter from working unless you're in Park or Neutral.

Good Luck,

-Al

Jack's Dmax
12-26-2003, 12:27
Originally posted by Alan L:
When you turned on the ignition switch did the rest of the vehicle (except the starter) get electricity? Dash board, radio, etc...

If so, it seems to me as if your ignition switch is working properly and its more likely something with the passlock system or the transmission lockout that keeps the starter from working unless you're in Park or Neutral.

Good Luck,

-Al Yes everything worked except for the starter. I called Onstar and asked for a diagnosis and they couldn't find anything wrong. So far I have not had any problems. Evidently this is a very uncommon problem judging by the limited response.

Thanks to all,

Jack

[ 12-26-2003, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: Jack's Dmax ]

TimofCharlotte
01-06-2004, 17:27
Hey all, been a while since I posted, my company intranet is blocking this site, go figure.
Anyway, I've had this problem on and off a while back and at least for me, I pretty well narrowed it down to a leak in the fuel delivery system, most likely culprit being the fuel filter itself.
I found that in all occassions, I had no other alarms, and sometimes, the engine would fire off for about 5 seconds or less, then die and not restart.
On those occassions, I checked the fuel filter vent and found that there was air in there because I had to pump it a time or two before I got fuel out the vent. I'm assuming if all is well and fully charged/primed, the fuel would start coming out as soon as you depress the primer on the fuel filter housing. After priming, it would start right off (with a little extra cranking, say 5 seconds more than usual)
I read a couple posts from others on this a while back and they suggested that either the filter wasn't tightened securely or the water sensor wasn't tighted securely. I still don't think I've been able to adequately tighten that filter, (2nd I've installed on my own), even using a nice offset wrench. If memory serves, it calls for about a 1 to 1-1/4 revolution after making contact by hand. That takes a lot, but don't be shy about it. Good luck, hope that helps.

[ 01-06-2004, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: TimofCharlotte ]

BADMAX
01-06-2004, 17:40
JACK'S DMAX , I'AM A DEALER TECH AND ALL I CAN SAY IS I HAVE CHANGED IGN SWITCHES ON A FEW NEW TRUCKS:TRAILBLAZER/CK TRUCKS ECT. REAL COMMON PROBLEM,NO.BUT NOTHING SURPRISES ME WITH CARS AND TRUCKS TODAY! IF I HAD TO GUESS I'D SAY CHECK/TIGHTEN/CLEAN BATTERY TERMINALS.IF I WAS WORKING ON IT I MIGHT LEAN TOWARDS IGN SWITCH. GOOD LUCK SORRY I'AM IN JERSEY,HOPE THIS HELPS.

Modified
01-06-2004, 17:57
Check the POS Delco batteries. Insufficient cranking RPM's at Startup is a No GO.
Make sure all four posts are not loose, or broke, check cable connections, and load test both batteries. With the recent cold weather, this could explain why the problem just showed up.
Cold will also bring on fuel problems. Ensure you use blended fuel when cold, and a good emulsifing fuel conditioner will help prevent gelling.
Only after verifing issues above, would I consider an electrical failure.
I'm not a diesel mechanic, but those are things I would first consider.