PDA

View Full Version : Taxed -vs- Untaxed Fuel

hoot
08-19-2003, 07:47
No I'm not considering using dyed fuel in my truck. The question is.... is it exactly the same fuel as in sulfer/lubricity?

Reason I ask is I have been buying Off-Road for my old backhoe for lubricity reasons. Am I wasting my time? I have to kinda go out of my way to get it and I really don't use enough to justify the cost savings.

If it is the same I think I may start using lubricity supplement..... what's good for an old Ford diesel? :eek:

gardnerteam
08-19-2003, 08:28
My John Deere only has about 350 hours on it, but I use ON Road fuel because I use so little of it and it is a pain to use OFF Road and report it. I also use FFP. Works well for me.

Mark Heiken
08-19-2003, 08:31
Hoot,

Don't know for sure about your area, but a few years ago the dye was added to the fuel any time it was needed. Usually added to the fuel when in the tanker truck on its way to the station. Same fuel with dye added. I think it's still the same. All fuel is now low sulpher as far as I know. You might ask a supplier in your area to get to find out for sure.

sdaver
08-19-2003, 08:32
I have two tanks at my office on road and off the only difference according to my jobber is one has dye and one doesn't :D dave.......add a little oil for the old hoe :D

a64pilot
08-19-2003, 09:53
Hoot,
If it's like my old JD410 6,000 hrs+ IIRC, why bother, injectors and pump are cheap to rebuild and last almost forever if you don't try to feed them water that is.
I've got an old international 574 and 966, God knows how many hours, but both fuel systems have never been touched, the 574 is so old it burns oil badly, but starts easily and idles great.
The only reason I had the pump and injectors rebuilt on the 410 is I was rebuilding the engine and having them done along with the head seemed the thing to do.

hoot
08-19-2003, 11:08
Thanks guys...

Looks like I'll drop the of road stuff. That makes life a little easier. I hate running the tank empty on it.... have to crack the injectors to bleed it.

Gbenzx01
08-19-2003, 21:17
Well Gents,

although I do agree with all you say so far I don't believe all off road fuel is the same.
We know of two recent cases where late model Poor Stroke engines didn't survive very long.
One at Lake City Fl & the other at Murphy NC & not to say they would have survived anyway!
Both trucks are used by farmers & the one in NC was refused warrantee coverage.
We've used the offroad fuel occasionally in older model diesel p/u's without probs but never for long periods.
But there is no way I would let this stuff get into our Dmax if I can help it!
Yes I know we generally know what to expect & how to understand each other on DP but I could just see some unknowing dieselectic filling up with the stuff. :rolleyes:

Oh, George where are you?

Thanx Guys, Gben

thechevyhdman
08-20-2003, 00:26
Ive heard so many different things on this I never got a correct answer. I always thought that red/off road fuel had more lubricity through higher sulfur levels etc. As for red fuel blowing engines quick. My friends dad runs a excavation/septic company. Been running off road fuel in their power stroke since it was new in 96' still running fine just injectors and a IP replacement. I wouldnt even try risking it with the way the DOT cops are up here in CT. Some pretty big A-holes if you ask me. I know up in VT its pretty rampant from people ive talked to. At least running home heating oil as diesel.

08-20-2003, 03:13
Here on LI there is a definite difference between the two fuels. The red diesel is very similar to the old Product 20 that used to be available. I had a 92 and 98 6.5 that ran on nothing but red fuel and both trucks had well over 100,000 on them with no injector or pump problems. Now it does not pay to fool around however.

mackey_62
08-20-2003, 05:23
I gotta go with....it's the same stuff.

As far as hurting the motor, I'll say this......
Buddy of mine has been running dyed-fuel in his last 3 CTD's. No problems whatsoever. Actually, hasn't had a problem since tranny on '93.

Actually me and another friend were just talking about this a couple days ago, what fuel to run is his new, used dozer. Basically, availibility of road-fuel makes it worth the extra cost. Unless your using enough quantity to justify a 275g tank and can get delivery. If your not using enough though, you don't want to deal with stagnant fuel issues. I guess where the law and warranty are concerned, I'd go with the legal stuff anyway.