PDA

View Full Version : exhaust question

biker Wayne
08-19-2003, 11:54
Has anyone done or seen a comparison of the various exhaust replacement systems to know which system(s) lowers the EGTs the most (especially while towing), allows the turbo to spool up the most and the quickest and at the same time adds an authoritative, rumble sound without being loud, obnoxious or annoying in the cab? I've seen ads for ATS, Banks and Kennedy Diesel. Any others that should be considered?
Thanks for your input.

tysmith
08-19-2003, 15:41
I don't want to touch this one with a 100' pole! :eek:

Try a search. Of late, this topic has been quite active. Those you named are probably the best of the best, though.

Ty

big dipper
08-19-2003, 17:05
OK, I ain't sskeered!

I have no input on the ATS, but as far as the Kennedy system goes, I don't have experience with the 4" kit either. I had his 4/5" on a previous truck and it is louder outside of course. It is very tame until you get on it and it will let you know it's there. It is tame on the inside and no drone. The Banks I finally heard today. Probably as loud outside at idle although the 4/5 sounded a bit better. Inside was probably the same as the Banks seemed a bit deeper, but it would be a close toss up. The 4/5 is a bit louder under full throttle, but not by much.

Stay away from the Dynomax, it has a terrible drone and is really loud.

George

sdaver
08-19-2003, 17:09
big d out of the ditch and back on the saddle........and for once we agree.....ditto :D dave

big dipper
08-19-2003, 17:24
Dave, we always agree buddy! :D ...............

although, my saddle would be a whole lot smaller. ;)

SoCalDMAX
08-19-2003, 17:47
Big Dipper,

That's great info! I've been thinking about getting the Kennedy 4"/5" system and wanted to hear from someone who had heard a number of different systems in action.

Thanks!, Steve

Brandenburg
08-19-2003, 17:57
With the Kennedy 4<5 and the afe intake, I really enjoy racing through parking ramps at night with the windows down. :D tongue.gif

BlueOx03
08-19-2003, 18:57
As it has been discussed before, most of the 4" systems give pretty much the same performance benefits. Where they differ the most is looks, sound, and price. I've seen and heard a couple of ATS systems even went for a nice long burner run with DD. The look of the dual tails is sweet! The sound out side is awesome as well. Inside there wasn't much difference. I've heard more than one person say that while towing @ 2000 it makes some undesirably sound. One guy I talked to said it had to do with the tips, not sure how. I've also seen and heard the Banks, it looks good as well. The sound is a little mild compared to the ATS. Banks has been a long time favorite of people who tow a lot. I haven't seen or heard the KD system, however I've heard nothing but good things about it as posted above Of coarse you guys know that I'll mention the low cost aluminized alliterative from Summit as well. I've heard nothing but good thing about the fit and finish of all of them. The info I got on the Summit system is from other truck owners. It's all about what you want and what you want to spend.
Later
TJ

HDLD
08-19-2003, 19:48
One I'm about to pick up is the MagnaFlow p/n 15912. Haven't heard much about it here. I work close to the distributor where I can pick one up so this was as much a contributor as anything. Anyone have or heard of any real world experiences with these, good or bad?

MagnaFlow Diesel Products (http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/diesel.htm)

biker Wayne
08-20-2003, 09:01
All good input, but has anyone seen results of 2 trucks with the same mods pulling the same load at the same speed on the same hill with different exhausts and comparing the EGTs? I'm wondering if there are significant differences in how much different exhausts reduce the EGTs, or if all 4" systems are about the same.

SoCalDMAX
08-20-2003, 10:07
Biker Wayne,

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say this: I think any WELL BUILT mandrel bent 4" system will perform essentially the same on the same truck. The exception comes in when the muffler is of a different design than others. For example (on gassers) Flowmaster is louder than Dynomax due to the design. I think the major difference in noise levels will be based on muffler design. Unless a system has a horribly designed muffler, it's not going to perform any different than others. Remember, diesels don't gain any hp/tq from better flowing exhaust. They reduce backpressure allowing one to potentially keep EGTs lower while running hard or towing.

The difference in system price may, in some cases, result from the material used, SS vs steel, thickness of the tube, thickness of the coating, etc. Some of the savings may also result from volume of sales.

Regards, Steve

a64pilot
08-21-2003, 07:13
SoCal,
I'll go a little farther. My opinion is that if you don't repalce the exh. from the turbo back, no one does do they? The advantage of a 4in over a stock exh with a free flowing muffler is minimal. I said opinion intentionally, I have no data.
Personally I want the Kennedy 4 to 5 mainly for looks and sound.

HDLD
08-21-2003, 09:36
I just had a MagnaFlow 4" catback system installed this morning. I believe it adds an average of a couple of HP throughout and maybe 8 or 9 at the sweet spot and maybe 20 ft/lb torque at sweet spot + cooler + faster turbo spool-up.

Leaving their parking lot, I chirped the tires during a very normal exit. It really surprised me. I know they wouldn't normally have chirped.

Sound is exactly what I had hoped for. Can hardly tell it's there at idle/cruise. Looks great, sounds great and seems to have a slight seat of the pants increase in power, likely due mostly to the faster turbo spooling.

Here's an article on one that was put on a Cummins:
Dyno Results (http://www.magnaflow.com/05news/magazine/tdr.htm)

YMMV!

ratlover
08-21-2003, 09:59
I have a Kennedy 4"-5" exhaust and I really like the sound/looks of the 5" sewer pipe poking out. If you have any questions about the install or particulars shoot me an email
pblackburn @ cilco.com
I havent towed with it and dont know if I would like to tow on the highway with it......it might be a bit load??? :confused: As was said.....it really wakes up. At idel its a bit louder and much deeper than stock. Its about the same driving down the road and it isnt really loud at a steady cruise on the highway but you know its there if you get your foot into it. Might get annoying if you haul something big for longdistances up hills and such. I dont know? Might wana check it out. I think John has some different mufflers though.