PDA

View Full Version : Amsoil bypass O-ring failure...

jeephauler
08-19-2003, 12:00
Recently installed an Amsoil bypass on my '03 D/A. Took great care to follow instructions, and was positive O-ring was seated properly in its groove. After about a week, of just around town driving, the O-ring on the spin-on adapter blew :mad: . I never noticed a pressure drop, or received a low oil level warning, but still pumped 3 quarts of oil past the O-ring. Amsoil rep was great, ggave me a couple O-rings an a gallon of oil for nothing, but I do not have any great faith that this will not happen again (I now carry enuf oil for a complete change and a stock oil filter with me now just in case I have to fix this on the road). Anyone have any thoughts on what may have gone wrong? I sure haven't seen or heard of anyone else having any problems. Thanks.

BassinRVer
08-19-2003, 12:06
I have not heard of this happening defore.

Cliffee
08-19-2003, 16:05
Ive been running mine for over 6 months. No problems yet.

hd90rider
08-20-2003, 12:26
Jeephauler, Only thing that comes to mind is that it may have loosened up. I have had my by-pass on for 229,000 miles. Only one time it dripped a little oil, it had become loose. That was a year ago, no other problems,& this truck is on the road constantly. Great system. Where are you in Va? I am in Christiansburg. Give me a shout & we can compare notes. Bill

chuntag95
08-20-2003, 12:43
I have one on each of my vehicles. The only problem was a bypass element coming loose, not the adapter. I think the coming loose theory is the best and most likely. I check mine whenever I am under there anyway.