PDA

View Full Version : DURAMAX VS. POWERSTROKE

gregmican
04-20-2002, 10:48
My brother in law has a Super Duty extended cab short bed 4x4 with the 6 speed manual tranny. I have the exact same truck except mine is a CHEVY DURAMAX. We lined the trucks up a couple of weeks ago. We raced each other about four times through the 1/4 mile. Im sad to say, but the Ford beat me all 4 times. We were close all four times, and the worst he beat me was about two truck lengths. He had one secret weapon though. He has a 80hp Superchips Inc. brand chip installed. He won't race me without it because he knows what will happen. I guess my next project is to get "Juiced"! A stock Ford doesn't stand a chance next to a stock Chevy!

mackin
04-20-2002, 12:19
Hopefully "JUICE" will get a manual one offered soon......If that DROF was up against MY "SECRET" WEAPON, he wouldn't stand a chance......
MAC :D :D

DmaxMaverick
04-20-2002, 13:10
Must be something wrong here, perhaps because you have a 6 speed, not being able to spool up. There is no competition between my "stocker" and (so far) 3 PSD's with injectors and the superchip 80. One is a stick, and was no where near the running. The only "mods" I have is Amsoil air filter w/ modded air box, synthetic oil B to B, and cetane booster. I'm also sporting 33" mud tires (expensive 2WD launches!!).

7mmSTW
04-20-2002, 14:59
Ours will run with most chipped Fords. It is faster than b.j.oniell's when he had the 78hp Diablo in it. I haven't spent as much time with it since we put the 80 SCMT programmer in it. I have a friend with a single cab 2wd 2000 PSD auto that will run better than most of the chipped PSD's around here. We put the SCMT program in his for a couple of days and it would outrun our stock D-max. We were getting about 94 in a quarter with that PSD. It seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

Later

Seven

gregmican
04-20-2002, 16:53
Nothing wrong with my truck being a 6 speed, his is too. We both know how to get the right amount of boost up and are both pretty good at taking off with minimal spin. Its just that with that chip, it puts his Stroke with more horsepower and torque than my Max. He has beaten several automatics also.

bora
04-20-2002, 19:01
When I bought my '02, I test drove both the Ford and the Duramax. I could swear that the Ford felt more powerful on take-off but uphill at freeway speeds there was no contest. Duramax hands down.

I have a feeling that in first gear, the engine computer is cutting down power to save the tranny. I know a few other sports cars that do the same esp the new ones with semi-automatic shifting.

midwestdmax29
04-21-2002, 08:11
Here's the proper way to show a PSD owner who's boss. Hook at least 10,000 lbs behind the Ford, and the same behind your Max. Now, go find yourselves an on ramp that continues up a good grade after merging onto the interstate. Let him take the lead and when you get to the top of the ramp and he's feeling cocky, floor it and pull into the hammer lane. An interesting thing will happen, at @65 mph the Ford just doesn't want to go much faster on a grade whereas your D-max is just building steam. Now you can listen to him try to explain what he just saw first hand & what those F-guys on their forums just can't stomach.
Hey Mackin, does that truck have a hitch to go with 4 bald tires? Can you quit doing burnouts long enough to get yourself a load so you can tell us what we all want to hear. HOW DOES IT TOW? Do I want to be one of 1100? Come on man, do the right thing!

mackin
04-21-2002, 08:43
midwestdmax29,

Gauges my man....... . Guages,will be done this week.........Got hitch, no trailer, know where a trailer is ,if I can borrow it...Got 3.5 million #'s of skidded Stainless coil in my warehouse's.... I got weight........Or, If THE CHEVYHANDYMAN ;) .....shoots me an E-MAIL early next week I just might let him try the "JUICE" on his truck.....Of course with me...If we can set up a time and date.....He got trailer and weight and hitch, but no time........Once he gets his paws on it he wont give it back I'm afraid..He might have to give me some sort of hostage......
MAC :D :D

[ 04-21-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Amianthus
04-22-2002, 13:29
DmaxMaverick, are you sure they were running a chip AND injectors? I'm not calling you a liar, but something just don't add up. Most PSD owners shy away from injectors because of cost. Not to mention with just 50 HP injectors and an 80 HP chip, that guy would be running around 375 HP. That's big difference compared to a 300 HP Dmax.

midwestdmax29, wouldn't what you propose be considered the world's slowest drag race? :D :D :D

DmaxMaverick
04-22-2002, 15:55
Amianthus

I hear what you are saying. Only one truck has injectors, chip and 6 speed. Both others have the chip, exhaust and auto. I drove the truck (F350 srw) with the injectors and was not impressed in the least. It seemed to take forever to spool up and accelerated slow. It was definately much louder (and slower) than the others. The trucks with auto, chip and exaust were a contest, but did not get ahead, start to finish. No amount of horsepower does any good unless you can get it to the ground. My truck has 33" tires with the 3.73 r/e, in effect, changing the r/e ratio to 3.42 (at stock tire dia.). This is a much higher gear than 265's and a 4.10 (stock on the fords). This would allow a longer boost period in each gear, and more distance between gears. This, as I understand it, puts more power to the ground over the distance. Heavy loads, I'm sure, would have produced different results. How much different? We'll just have to find out. I may have to get "Juiced" before then.

midwestdmax29
04-22-2002, 16:23
Amianthus- I'm not sure about the slowest, but I'd doubt anyone drag racing has a worse power to weight ratio. To be honest, I get a kick out of leaving toll booths with my 36 footer and watching people with cars have to hammer the gas to get ahead of me. They don't realize that a rig that size can get moving that quick. Driving a truck shouldn't be this much fun.

srubrn
04-22-2002, 21:12
Had a little test with a PSD this past week on the way to Talladega. I have the 2500 six speed c/c 4x4. He had a c/c dually 2wd auto. I got him on the flats and most small hills. When we got to a very long and steep hill, I pulled ahead about two car lengths and stayed there. No one gained ground. We both are stock. We were running about 70 to 75 mph. We both were pulling approximately the same weight fifth wheel. I did get better mileage though. I got 10.6 and he got 8.9.