PDA

View Full Version : BD Dyno Day

Vaughn MacKenzie
04-21-2002, 09:26
Any of you guys make it do BD's Dyno Day yesterday? There was a good turnout and 4 DMax trucks hit the rollers. One was stock (did close to 250hp), two had BD's box on (sorry I don't recall what it is called. . .what can you expect, I'm a Cummins guy) and these trucks did between 290 and 300hp. The 4th truck had a Dynomite I believe, with propane which put down 358hp.

A couple guys were taking people for spins in the BD and the power was pretty impressive. I went for a ride in it once, definitely a quick truck for around 300hp. I know my manual tranny 355hp BOMB'd Cummins wouldn't stand a chance but it does pull harder than the DMax once up to speed. This was a very nice truck, crew cab shortbed with leather.

Vaughn

mackin
04-21-2002, 10:39
Vaughn,

Thanks for the info...The Dynamite and BD are relatively the same Box.........The guy with Propane and the Dynamite is really pushing the envelope. Did he have any tranny mods? Figuring stock auto is 245 dyno RW? That's 150 ish additional HP. :eek: What was the torque #? Do you recall? The rumor has it additional 250 without mods.....Approx. 770 at the flywheel.....He got to be over, I would think.... Did you smell hot tranny fluid or what...LOL Would love to know how it held 5TH gear (ALLISON)......
Did you see the guy with the "JUICE" run? He claims in the 60 HP setting he turned 292/680 respectively .... Not bad considering there is 30 HP remaining setting.....Just for a 10 min plug in not to shabby.....
MAC :D :D

[ 04-21-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

big dipper
04-21-2002, 16:26
Mackin,
I could be wrong about this, but I doubt they were in 5th gear on the dyno. That is the only gear I have heard to be slipping.

A guy I met about a week ago has the VA box and lp and said the truck would fly to 80 (5th) and then either go into limp or slip. Just met him so I am not sure how reliable this info is , but I did see the products on his truck.

dieselmax66
04-22-2002, 00:11
Hello guys. Yes I ran 358hp with my Duramax at BD dyno days. The box I ran was the 120hp Powermax (Van Aiken box retuned) I also have the Powershot 2000 propane. I have been runing this combination for about 4 months now. When I ran the dyno I had the box set at full power and the propane turned right down to estimated 25hp. I spent several hours prior to the dyno run to get the power level so I wouldnt set any codes on the dyno or allow the trans to slip. We did not let it go out of 4th gear on the dyno. Yes the Allison is the problem for me right now but hope to have a fix in a few months. With the propane turned up I know I would of been over 400hp. I have not had any problems so far with this combination so far. The duramax is definetly capable of some big HP, the question is how will it and the Allison hold together? Vaughn, which truck was yours?

imported_
04-22-2002, 03:13
I was there..... used the edge juice box on the dyno ... all else stock... and ran a 292 hp at the wheels... and it was Aaron's box that was a beta version calibrated to 'only' 60 hp
then i took it for a drive and WOW!!!!!

imported_
04-22-2002, 03:16
BTW : MACKIN....give me your email addy and i will scan the dyno run in if you don't believe it.
As for that nice flatdeck dually duramax i have mavica images of his truck and his run so there!
in fact all (84 i think) trucks that ran i recorded that way... even the wild promod trucks 'DODGE MAKES IT....CUMMINS SHAKES IT'

imported_
04-22-2002, 03:21
as well i might add the bd guys actually let me do the dyno run...my first ever.... Aaron gave me a few pointers after he hooked me up... and i did the run locked in 4th gear.... a bit tricky but i got it..... i do think that they could benefit from one more of those fans at the dyno though... just to help the intercooler out.... what a great day though... no partisan ford chev or dodge BS... just a bunch of guys ... lots of testosterone and WOW&gt;&gt;&gt;AIN'T DIESEL GREAT!....Especially Piers PDR 500 HP all motor cummins.....slipping on the dyno so bad that the box was eventually loaded up with people!!!! and then run again

imported_
04-22-2002, 03:38
Mackin/Vaughn.... my truck was #18 on the run
charcoal grey ext cab long box 4x4 charcoal leather.. black bush gaurd PIAA lights and in dire need of a wash

mackin
04-22-2002, 19:00
MaD MaX,

Sorry if you got the wrong impression.......
I'm not doubting you.........Remember I'm on your side.........
Would like to see pics of a D-MAX on a dyno thats all......Some day perhaps I'll wall paper my garage with mine.........

MAC :D :D

imported_
04-22-2002, 22:01
I think i just got the meaning wrong.... probably the excitement... the power and sleep deprivation.. my bad not yours.... i just can't wait to get my copy of the juice... btw you get those pics i sent along?

Vaughn MacKenzie
04-24-2002, 00:11
DieselMax66, did you upgrade your exhaust? I thought it sounded pretty good. It had more of a mean bark to it than the other DMax trucks that ran.

My truck was the 2wd shortbed QuadCab rig, dark blue with gray lower section & matching canopy, and big honkin' 5" pipe. I was #62. I have Diesel Dynamics Stage 2 injectors and van Aaken CPC box, plus other misc. items like boost module and minor fuel system improvements. I didn't get there until #22 or so was on the rollers so I missed quite a few trucks.

Mad MaX is right, I think the group this time was more open-minded and everyone enjoyed the event. I thought some of the PSDs did well and there were some really nice rigs. It is good to see others share in the HP fun.

Vaughn

dieselmax66
04-25-2002, 00:05
Vaughn, I have the 4" Flo-Pro exhaust which dumps right out of the muffler, with the dual tanks I can't run it past the rear axle. I agree it was a great event for all makes of trucks, although it seems like the Dodges always steal the show with the big power. Where abouts do you live? Seems like there were more people from greater distances there this year.

Bwag
04-26-2002, 11:58
Another good neighbor in Abbotsford is the Kondolays

www.dieseltrans.com

Dyno Days was a blast! and Piers Harry is the man