PDA

View Full Version : Got more power? Train your tranny

SoCalDMAX
04-21-2002, 23:36
Let's try an experiment.

Go somewhere secluded, and run it up to 50mph or so, select 1st gear and let the tranny downshift and bring the truck to a stop. Do this 3 times in a row. This will tell the tranny to re-learn how you want it to shift. (Based on what I've read here on the forum.)

Now, with your box, chip or propane turned on, drive it like you stole it. You may be pleasantly surprised at the difference.

At one time, I felt that the tranny TC was unlocked too much of the time. I did the above procedure as an experiment and was very surprised at the difference. The TC seemed to lock up more often and sooner, the tranny shifted at a much lower RPM.

Going down a surface street with 1/2 throttle, the tranny used to let the engine rev up to 2000-2200rpm, then shift. Now, it shifts at 1500-1600rpm. At 45mph it's already in 5th, ~1400RPM. Roll on the throttle half way, and it accelerates briskly up to the governor without downshifting. I realize this is different than towing, but every hill I've accelerated up I've done it without downshifting, I'm very impressed.

It seems as though the tranny takes the added power into account when deciding when to shift, notto mention a lot less throttle is needed to maintain speed or increase.

Let's see if it's just my imagination or you guys see the same results.

Regards, Steve

CONCORDMAX
04-21-2002, 23:59
Do you mean start out in first gear or downshift into first gear? Just a little confused.

sonofagun
04-22-2002, 11:50
Steve,

I had some shifting quirks early on and tried this routine. I have done it every 6 months or so since. It (or a friendly gnome) fixed the early problems and none have returned. My truck shifts like you say yours is now doing. I don't know if doing the drive to 1st deal helps on an ongoing basis but it can't hurt the engine so why not?

Bob

konacat
04-22-2002, 12:22
I have read about this in a previous posting. It does sound like a strange thing to do. I think that I would have a hard time throwing my expensive truck into 1st gear at speed. It's just not in my nature to do it. Anyone else have results from training there Allison?

madmax7
04-22-2002, 15:36
How long do you have to "drive like you stole it"?
When is it considered finished in it's training?

SoCalDMAX
04-22-2002, 18:50
CONCORDMAX,

Start out in D, bring it up to 50mph, then drop it into 1st. It'll downshift at the appropriate rpm, no danger.

SOAG,

Yup, I've been doing the same. I think the daily commute programs the tranny to shift like a granny, and it needs recalibration from time to time. Just a function of it's ability to adapt, I guess. I thought perhaps the added power (acceleration rate based on speedo input) would get factored into it's shift points.

madmax7,

That's a good question. It does a lot of it's learning in a fairly short period of time, then fine tunes from there. I have no idea what the time period is. Just drive it like that all of the time, and if you get stopped speeding, tell the cop you weren't speeding, you were training your tranny... ;)

Regards, Steve

CONCORDMAX
04-22-2002, 19:19
Thanks SoCAl

It shifts like you are talking about now. But if I need to take it to the woodshed I Will.

Kent Tuttle
04-22-2002, 20:53
Any other ways to get the Allison to "re-learn"? Just can't seem to pull the selector down to 1st doing 50 mph :confused:

AlaskaDmax
04-22-2002, 21:12
I am with Kent...

When I bought THE TRUCK, the dealer told me that they could reset the Allison there at the shop...I would guess they have a way to do it with out dropping it into 1st @ 50mph.

madmax7
04-22-2002, 21:13
I put it into first gear while moving at 50mph. No problems at all. Because this is computer controlled and no mechanical function for shifting, it flat out won't shift until its ready.

Thanks for the input Socaldmax! :cool:

Alli-max
04-22-2002, 21:17
Kent...

Do NOT worry about it. I actually do this myself about every 2 months or so. Usually on an exit ramp or something. When you drop it to first at 50, after maybe 2-4 seconds, it will goto 4th, and so on and so on. It wont actually shift into first until you get to maybe 10 - 15 mph (never looked at the speedo). NO PROBLEMS. If you dont trust the board, then you might want to email Allison Transmission so they can confirm.

It's not like other trannys... Not even a HINT of tire chirp.

DISCLAIMER: If your tranny falls out and hits the ground, contact Socal..not AlliMax. :D :D :D JUST KIDDING!!!

SledZep
04-22-2002, 21:43
Can i just drive it like i stole it all the time?
Just kidding, I have done the above procedure twice but I am not sure if I feel it shifting different. Although after reading some of the posts about the JUICE I have driven recently with the Tow/Haul on and it makes it seem like a hotrod!

SledZep

Wesley Briggman
04-22-2002, 22:09
I had the problem of the tranny shifting from 5th to 4th with the slightest increase in throttle while hauling my cabover camper. Then, I tried the shifting into 1st at 50mph three times in a row a few weeks ago. I just returned from a trip from Stockton, CA to Bend, OR, with plenty of mountian climbing in between and was very pleased with the way the transmission shifted. I got much more power in OD and controlled the shifting myself. I think its a combination of both the tranny and me learning!

By the way, I caught and passed a new Dodge Deisel at the top of the grade heading north on I5 out of Dunsmuir, CA. He was running empty and maintained 65mph up the grade. I was running 70mph when I caught him. I guess he thought I couldn't maintain my speed up the hill. Wonder what he talked to his buddies during coffee break??

Kent Tuttle
04-22-2002, 23:18
Held my breath and at 50 pulled it into 1st :eek: No parts on the ground. Went down through each gear with no problem. Now for the re-learning part :D
thanks for the info!

cmadmaxman
04-23-2002, 01:14
Think I will give it a try. Have not done this and have over 17,000 miles so far.
GM calls the programing for the trans "Fuzzy logic". They use it on our Saturn cars here so that it learns your driving habits. Would be a good idea to do this befor hooking up to a big load so the computer will adjust for the extra weight.

Alli-max
04-23-2002, 07:53
Kent... wish I could see a video of your face as you slam the tree down to first.... :D :D

I felt the same way, actually when I did this about 9 months ago, I did it on dirt. you just cant rely on guys like Turbo Al sometimes now can you... tongue.gif tongue.gif

JEBar
04-24-2002, 03:49
This is my first reply to a post in this forum and I want to thank you guys for the infor given here. Currently have 12,000+ on my 3500 D/A and this moring I pulled the transmission into first as outlined. Have to admit I was a bit surprised when absolutely nothing negative happed. Don't know if I can tell any difference in her shifting pattern after the training but will continue to monitor.

Buck
04-25-2002, 01:55
Kennedy :D what are your thoughts on this!

Cowboy_120
04-25-2002, 07:01
I got a question. Since the allsion is so smart, what happens if you were mistankenly to put it into reverse at 50??? Would it know it would damage itself and not shift into it? I haven't done this, and I am not going to try, but I am asking anyone else out there who may know the answer. Thanks

Brandenburg
04-25-2002, 07:19
I did that by accident while going about 20 on a gravel road and it just went into neutral. :eek:

konacat
04-25-2002, 12:15
Tried to verify the information on training your tranny. I tried the Allison web site with no good results. There is no e-mail contacts on the web site. They do have some nice Allison hats at a good price. Called their customer service and they passed me on to the manager of one of the Allison service centers. I spoke to two people there one of whom was the manager. He said do not use this method to teach your transmission.
Before you blast me on this let me say this. I was not planning on posting as this was for my own needs. I no longer have a name or number of the location called (tossed it). If anyone finds other information from Allison on this subject please post it.

Phil

mackin
04-25-2002, 16:06
This might be a stretch but ... perhaps the Allison dealer is a good source of info for general mechanics of our 1000 series transmission .? But not all 1000 series can be the same. Each application must be somewhat diferent.I do not think that the school buses have the electronic "wizardry" that our GM tranny has,between motor and tranny operation ...... Perhaps, I'm sure, different software programs..So I would think that since the do not see or work on this application the would not be able to give that kinda info ....... Make any sense? Can you see the guy in the PETER PAN bus dropping it into first @ 50 mph, because he wants to "retrain" his tranny for more power to get by that JET COACH TOUR bus ..........LOL
MAC :D :D

[ 04-25-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]

[ 04-25-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

NutNbutGMC
04-25-2002, 16:20
^...Mack Daddy, Maybe the short bus needs different downshift commands for the load....I can see all of the kids flying to the front on that 50 MPH downshift.... LMAO.... PMP.... :D :D

[ 04-25-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

mackin
04-25-2002, 17:47
NutNbutGMC,

I'd rather a D-MAX inplant into one of those short buses with the Allison.......So the "COOL" bus drivers can spool up 10#'s of BOOST on a break stand with the "JUICE" in tow haul and leave sig. strips at the bus stops.......... :D :D Then retrain for cruising......LOL
MAC :cool:

[ 04-25-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

fasterthanyou
05-06-2002, 19:33
Just had a question about this tranny train'n deal. Someone mentioned that the tranny is trained by spedo input and throtle position. My understanding, after trying an related test, was that the tranny uses engine speed and load to determine shift points. The only reason I bring it up is because of the Tru-Speed I bought from Superlift. I thought I could trick the tranny, by increasing the speedo, and get 5th from around 2mph on - It didn't do anything for my shift points, ie overdownshifting, but maybe I needed to retrain the tranny, or fake the real speed in retraining mode to shift sooner. Well you see were I'm going with this, I guess it was Kennedy who figured out the Tru-Speed wouldn't change my shift points, because the Ali shifts on other parameter. I'll try anything, like the reverse thing- it's ok, but when it shifts into second it makes a big slip and then slams! DON"T DO PARK! the tires lock and you have to depress the brake to shift out of park, which you're not thinking about at 50 mph sliding sideways! I saved it smile.gif

DieselDennis
05-07-2002, 10:14
I think you might see some improvements with this method. Might not hurt to try I guess.
Kinda reminds me of the Power Programmer IIIs and the PSD. Insert PP3 and tune it like you want it. Drive home. Pull out PP3. Go to sleep. Get up next morning and reinstall PP3 for even better performance.

Smorey
05-07-2002, 17:38
I've had mine since January. Pulled the trailer out of storage and got it road ready. Cruised around for a while....WOW. In the days since it seems to be more peppy. My Son even noticed. I believe the weight of the trailer adjusted some of the shift points. Maybe my imagination.....

Mark

RScott
05-08-2002, 01:17
Smorey,

I was thinking of that very same think reading this thread. Couple weeks back I towed my very loaded 26' Weekend Warrior to Laughlin. I'd say it was pushing 10,500. When I returned and stored the trailer, holy cow did it haul! I drove it like a maniac all the way home from the office... The weight must do something to it.

I also noticed that pulling the Cajon pass at full throttle it never got below 60 and was in 3rd at about 3200-3300 RPM. Never skipped a beat. Anyone else have experiance with hill pulling a large load?

Smorey
05-08-2002, 04:36
We have a huge trip planned for June/July. Taking the kids West from Rochester to the Grand Canyon, Vegas, Utah, Colorado, Dakotas - then East back home. My tow vehicles over the years were a Crown Vic, 88 Burb 350, 96 Burb 6.5, now this. If my brief experience playing around the local roads is any indication - I think it is going to be a great trip! Nothing worse than worring about vehicle ability/problems. I used to have to stop on the inclines in PA with the 88 burb!