PDA

View Full Version : Broken downpipe bracket?

hoot
05-14-2003, 10:54
Mines broke. I noticed it when I installed my filter. Is it critical to have it repaired?

Thoughts?

mtomac
05-14-2003, 10:56
unhook the battery cables and hit it with the mig welder

ZFMax
05-14-2003, 14:58
My truck was making a very annoying vibration noise just above idle when that bracket was broken.

Dealer (Hajek, Longmont CO) couldn't figure it out, even after I told him a) the noise was coming from that area of the exhaust system, and b) it diminished somewhat when I tightened the clamp. Chose instead to label it "normal" and proceed to tell me "diesels just vibrate." Chevrolet customer no-care backed them up, saying we "stand behind the dealer's diagnosis."

It was a TDP post that pointed me in the right direction. Another dealer (Davidson, Loveland CO) welded it up at 12K miles and it's still holding at 35K. Davidson also changed my steering box bearing at 12K, something Hajek refused to do, and the rattle is still gone. A good dealer makes all the difference in the world. Chevrolet customer no-care could learn a thing or two from them.

[ 05-14-2003: Message edited by: ZFMax ]</p>

pontiac_m18
05-14-2003, 23:03
HOOT, probaly broke it when you RAN INTO THAT POST/TREE BACK YOUNDER!! HE!HE!

cmadmaxman
05-15-2003, 07:02
The dealer welded mine back together. So far so good!

hoot
05-15-2003, 07:04
The gap is about 1/16". I suppose that's why it cracked. Seems like there was a good bit of stress on it. I'll have it welded soon. I took some pics if anyones interested.

sdaver
05-15-2003, 12:14
mines broke too........caused by a foot/fuel/brake/boost combination no doubt :D dave

D-max Man
05-15-2003, 12:43
Hoot,

If you run it without fixing it, it will eventually crack the pipe up near the turbo.

The newer trucks have a band that wraps around the pipe and attaches to the bracket on the manifold. This can be bought as a service part from the dealer.

I think it is the GM approved "Fix" for this issue.

[ 05-15-2003: Message edited by: D-max Man ]</p>

56Nomad
05-15-2003, 13:01
hoot..... can you give us a link for
the photos of the crack in the bracket?

Thanks

sonofagun
05-15-2003, 13:26
Hoot,

Where are the photos on the break?

Thanks,
Bob

D-max Man
05-15-2003, 13:28
The tab breaks off of the bracket near the bottom of the down pipe where it bolts to the right side manifold bracket.

Hound
05-15-2003, 16:25
Dmax-Man,

Any idea what the part number is for this clamp? TSB or some sort of diagram on how it fits?

Thanks

Hound
05-15-2003, 19:46
Thanks Hoot, I know what that bracket looks like, mine looks awfully similar to yours. ;) I'm curious about the clamp info that D-Max Man was speaking of. ;)

[ 05-15-2003: Message edited by: Hound ]</p>

rtquig
05-16-2003, 13:35
Took a look at the bracket this morning, thanks to Hoots picture, I knew what I was looking at. Not broken (yet).

WhiteDuramax
05-16-2003, 21:45
Looked at mine today, it is broke of course, wonder how long its been like that? Guess I'll have to get her welded.

ardmore
05-18-2003, 07:13
D-MAXMAN,

Do you know what the P/N for the GM fix/clamp is? Just discovered mine is broken, also discovered that I've got an exhaust leak where the exhaust manifold connects to the exhaust pipe.

D-max Man
05-19-2003, 05:30
I believe it is a stock part used on the '03 models.

I don't know the part number but the dealer should have it.

luvthesmellofdiesel
05-20-2003, 15:06
Took mine to get it fixed last week, had been rattling for a couple of months now after I mentioned it when I took it in for the door noise.

They had the truck for 3 days. I think all they did was take the bolt off, throw away the broken piece, put the bolt back in. Then billed Chevrolet for the warranty work of course. I even printed out Hoot's picture (thanks Hoot) and showed them what it looked like when I took it in. Got the "new guy, didn't know..." story.

It's in again today after talking with the shop supervisor, shop foreman, etc... Get this, they said they couldn't fix it at the dealership, but the shop foreman guy says he can fix it at "his shop", fabricate a new bracket, etc... I am thinking I need to call Chevrolet on this one, something ain't right here (after I get it back, of course).

Am supposed to get the truck back today, so we'll see what they did this time. 3rd time's a charm.

I think I need to find a new Chevrolet authorized warranty center in or near Austin, TX. Anyone have recommendations?

Can't wait to deal with them if I ever have injector trouble down the road like I hear so much about on this forum... :-(

Thanks,
Tim

hoot
05-20-2003, 15:57
All it needs is a bead of weld. They must either not have the capability or are afraid of the electronics.

And I wonder why they don't know about the Dmax-man fix?