PDA

View Full Version : Racor Pre OEM Installation Pics

VFRRider
08-19-2003, 20:18
Well, I went and did it. In the fine tradition of fellow Diesel Page Members I submit my Racor Pre OEM Installation Pics. Enjoy. This is my way of saying thanks to the many many individuals who have guided me in my decision making process. Be advised, this installation is highly technical which uses some unique mounting procedures. Since I installed my Transferflow Aux Tank, I decided to bypass the controversy surrounding all the debated installations and place the filter between the Aux tank and Main tank. I also decided to mount the filter in the bed near the Aux tank, which I felt would make for easier filter replacements, especially in the winter, and it would also cover it from the elements. I also went with a special dampening material used in the mounting process to reduce vibrations. And the mount itself also serves as a shield to protect the filter, and provides a large surface area for the final fastening system I decided on. It was a grueling task for sure, and I will provide anyone with a detailed parts list and installation instructions if needed.
Ah, the joy of finely filtered Diesel Fuel...... :D
Find Pics Here ------> Web Page with Pics (http://nitroville.tripod.com)

imported_
08-19-2003, 20:37
Make sure you don't throw the filter out with the trash from your truck!

steeltech
08-19-2003, 20:38
VFRRider,

You are sick, sick, sick. You had me for a while.

BROKERS
08-19-2003, 20:39
If nobody comments on this one,i'm done for tonite. :eek: Pics are worth a 1000 words!

MAV
08-19-2003, 20:54
SWEET!!!!!

Looks like a 3 beer job ehh!!

There hardest part had to be cutting the duct tape!! Quick 5 min install. Just what everyone wants. tongue.gif

56Nomad
08-19-2003, 21:00
FUNNY....... REALLY A GOOD ONE! :D :D :D :D :cool:

[ 08-19-2003, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: 56Nomad ]

AbqGeorge
08-19-2003, 21:35
VFRRider,
Thank you for the laugh of the day. I really needed it.

Great install!

SoCalDMAX
08-19-2003, 22:07
Awesome install! The insulation will keep it from gelling, and prevent vibrations from loosening particles. Way too technical for me, could you send me instructions and a parts list?

Also, I don't believe that's really your truck... could you also post a pic of your odometer and you standing next to it? Thanks a lot! ;) :D

Regards, Steve

hoot
08-20-2003, 05:30
Reminds me of my initial propane tank install. Only that was for real. BBQ tank and bungy cords. :eek:

VFRRider,

Why did you go with the Racor and how did you finally mount it?

ChevysRus
08-20-2003, 22:46
Heck with the filter, I liked the Matrix Movie. Nice to see Humor is still "unfiltered" LOL ha ha ha ;)

ndamico
08-20-2003, 22:55
That is great...

i'm with chevysrus.. i like the matrix gas... ;)

VFRRider
08-21-2003, 15:16
I'm glad everyone appreciates my post, things can get so intense in here I wanted to help lighten things up. Sorry for quality of web page, I threw it together in a hurry last night. I laugh everytime I watch the Matrix clip.

SoCalDMax - I lost my diagrams and parts list, had them in a 3" binder, seem to have misplaced it.. And yes, that is my truck, the one my spouse gave me the ultimatum over "its the truck or me"....I'm sure gonna miss the wife. Ah well. :rolleyes:

Hoot - Believe it or not, that was exactly how it was installed! Long story short..or long...
I had a 3 week vaca in FL planned for end of July. Many months before I planned to have the tank ordered and some filtration system in place. The tank took mucho months to get delivered, it came less than 2 weeks from departure on trip. One month prior to leaving, I went to a local vendor for a Racor System ( A vendor I might add who treated me as if I was putting them out on this order since I did not have a commercial account, they had better things to do). They promised me the system in 5-7 biz days. Weeks go by, no filter. Panic sets in. I then do what I should have done in the first place, and went to the Advertisors section of the Forum, and called one of the DP affilliated vendors. There was a small shipping snafu but the filter arrived days prior to departure. Panic had really set in because by now, I had installed the Transferflow tank (PITA by the way) and noticed a fine metallic type powder inside the tank (manufacturing residue?). Tank was in, no time to take out and have professionally cleaned. There was no way I was gonna put Fuel into it and have it pump who knows what to the OEM filter. So, the night prior to leaving, after searching all over for fittings, i got it hooked up but had no time left to mount it, so.... I drove to FL and back, over 2800 mile trip, with the setup I posted.
Why did I go with the Racor System? I looked long and hard at the systems discussed here, and decided on the racor due to price, ability to use a WIF sensor, ability to install an accessory heater if needed, and the installation experience provided by you and others with the Racor. I'm sure all the others are outstanding systems, this worked for me. Final install will be in the bed, mounted to side of box in front of wheel well. It will be protected by its location, I need to fabricate a spacer prior to final installation to have it positioned where I want it. Oh, and the local vendor just left me a VM, the filter has arrived. :mad:
For those of you bothering to read this long winded post, my apologies for my lack of brevity. (is that a word?)

Trip results
2800 miles, 70-75 mph, TH mode, cruise on.
10.5 MPG average
No problems with hills of Kentucky, would downshift when needed. Was able to accelerate on any grade. MUCH improved from first tow, what a difference 5000 miles makes. Plenty of compliments on truck, puzzled looks from truckers being passed on grades. I have DeepPan with Synth, never exceeded 195deg, even in 96deg weather. I will be changing filters soon, perhaps cut the racor open to have a looksee. I'm sure it will be quite dirty. BTW, it rained 18 days straight in "sunny" FL. :rolleyes:

Mike