PDA

View Full Version : New To Diesel Community

ram/tx
04-22-2002, 17:59
Just bought My first diesel. 2001 Chevy Duramax, 2500 HD, extended cab, 4X4. Allison Trans. Would like to know what all I need to do to this thing to make it last. What oil and filters are best, any fuel additive, Air Filter, Trans Fluid, and anything else I need to know. This truck has 1800 miles on it. Got a good deal because of it being a 2001 model. Maybe as time goes buy and I keep reading your posts, I will be able to ask some intelligent question. About all I plan to do with this truck is pull a 3000 lbs boat for now. Thanks for any help.

NFLDMAX
04-22-2002, 18:10
Welcome to the forum. These people on here are great and full of usefull information. I can't answer your questions being a newbie, but someone will. smile.gif

bora
04-22-2002, 18:48
Here is some info I summarized for myself from
the owner's manual.

I am most likely going to use Mobil Delvac or Shell Rotella as the engine oil.

Diesel Maintenance Info
Engine Oil: 15w40 over 0 degrees
10W30 ch-4 or cg-4 10 quarts
oil filter ac-delco: pf2232

coolant info: 50/50 dexcool water
transmission: dexron-iii
front axle: 80w90
rear axle: 75w90 synthetic (Mobil 1 Synthetic)

AKDmax
04-22-2002, 22:33
ram/tx,
From what I've read on this awesome page I think the concensus is:
Amsoil air filter (simply stated, K&N lets too much dirt in)
AC Delco Oil filters (until the others prove themselves)
Racor Fuel filters (proven)
Whatever Oil is readily available in your area as long as it meets the recommended viscosity (15W-40 CH-4/CG-4 preferred above 0 degrees, 5W-40 below 0) stated on page 6-19 of the diesel supplement. Also, Buy the Fumoto valve. 20 bucks is well worth it, and It will save you a mess.
This is not the law, so make your own judgment and use the search function to find info about any of this stuff. Alot of good info/people here. My favorite page!

[ 04-22-2002: Message edited by: AKDmax ]</p>

ram/tx
04-23-2002, 17:26
Thanks to all who replyed, I will print this out and keep it on hand. AKDmax..What is a Fumoto Valve and where can I purchase one? I assume it is for changing the oil. Is everyone waiting for the 5000 mile mark to change the oil the first time? Do I need to run any fuel additive? I am good with a wrench, so I can do most of my own work, just need to learn more about the diesel engines. Can find the oil filter at the parts store, but can't find the fuel filter. Does anyone know where I can purchase the good ones?

AKDmax
04-23-2002, 23:19
ram/tx,
Not sure about fuel additives as I don't run any myself. Have to do a search for that one. As far as the Fumoto valve, you are right. You can contact Greg here: www.62-65-dieselpage.com/vendors/amsoil.htm and he will hook you up. Excellent service! for fuel filters, Diesel injection service has a pretty decent deal on them. Excellent service also! here is the link for that: www.dieselpage.com/racredu.htm you have to cut and paste the link to your address bar. Oil filters seem to be going for around 8 bucks from various places. I don't think many people wait until 5000 mile for the first change. Most people agree it is good to get the dirt and metal out ASAP. 500 miles seems to be a good first oil change point. After that, 1500 and then again at 2500 miles, then regular service. check this post http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=002915&p=
Good luck