PDA

View Full Version : Installed standard Juice, quick question

Jorday
12-24-2003, 15:07
I installed the 90 hp juice today. On level 2, 3, and 4 I get a smoke cloud when I floor it from a stop. The smoke thins out once the boost starts, though, even in level 4. I guess I was expecting black smoke to be pouring everywhere in level 4 at WOT even after the boost comes on. Once the turbo starts boosting, it pretty much stops the black smoke. is this how they all act?

max out
12-24-2003, 17:51
Can't really help much with your question,But is the juice seem to be all it kracked up to be? As I stated earlier that's what I'll be doing next. Wife don't seem to care much for the new exaust she said that fluttering noise sounds like it's leaking. I positive there are no leaks though.

afp
12-24-2003, 18:17
The Juice is not what it's craked up to be..............it's more. How a bout a 5.9 sec 0-60 mph run enroute to a 14.49 1/4 mile on a G-tech? How about putting down rubber in first and second when in 2WD (some 35ish feet). How about 14.7 mpg in the city and 21.6 on the freeway with the Juice on the same setting (Normal Juice, Level 4) that produced the 14.49 and the rubber?

Needless to say, I am very pleased. I have had mine over a year and love as much today as I did when I first got Juiced. I have had ZERO problems or quirks with my Juice. I have never put the tranny into limp more, even when making full-stall launches in 4WD.

There are two things you need to keep in mind with the Juice. Initially, the engine will crank a turn or two more when starting vs stock. When it get's "used" to the Juice this seems to pretty much go away. Second, if you normally drive like an adult, you will expereince a lot of defueling between shifts when you first get on it hard. This is not a Juice thing, this is an Allison TCM thing. After making two or three full-throttle runs in level four, the defuleing is greatly dimished. However, I don't notice much defueling unless I make a full stall launch when I've not done it in a while. Form a rolling start in second gear--say at 20-30 mph, it just pulls hard at all times.

Blaine

Jorday
12-24-2003, 18:45
I think the Juice is fantastic. I love it. I agree with the guys that say once you get it you'll wonder how you got along without it.

Anyone have any comment on the smoke thing?

afp
12-24-2003, 19:36
Oh, I forgot. I too get a little smoke with heavy throttle.

Blaine

Spartus
12-24-2003, 23:50
The smoke thing is normal... Ever notice how a Semi smokes at take off? Same thing here with the juice.. The more SMOKE you make, the more POWER you are making. :D So yes, once you get moving the smoke will taper off.

Idle_Chatter
12-25-2003, 05:35
The smoke thing is the direct result of the improved lower and middle range power that the Juice is providing. The stock programming denies fuel before the turbo is boosting to reduce emissions and prevent smoke. The Juice is doing its magic by giving you more fuel and longer duration on the injection pulse. Ergo, you are getting more fuel earlier and you are experiencing a bit of underboost and overfuel at low rpms!

Kennedy
12-25-2003, 06:15
It will smoke more when the summer fuel (and air) come back...

12-25-2003, 09:38
Jorday, I am very happy with my standard Juice. I started using a fuel conditioner that improves cetane. This smoothed out the idle, improved cold starting, and it reduced the smoke. There are several different brands of additives. You might want to do a search and then decide which one is best for you. I run the Juice on L2 while towing and L4 running empty. I live in the mountains and my normal driving takes me from 4,ooo to 8,400 feet in elevation. I love my truck, Juice, and fuel additive.. Good luck and Merry Christmas :D

Jorday
12-25-2003, 19:01
I use FPPF total power and FPPF 8+ cetane booster in my truck.

I noticed another thing with the juice today. WHen I am on the interstate going 70 mph the truck makes a funny noise when I put the pedal down. It is easier to hear the higher the level the juice is on. It's almost like a faint beeping noise. I can hear best when the pedal is down all the way on the freeway in 5th gear. It's loud enough to hear over the turbo whistle.

HD-Nate
12-26-2003, 07:49
Originally posted by Jorday:
WHen I am on the interstate going 70 mph the truck makes a funny noise when I put the pedal down. It is easier to hear the higher the level the juice is on. It's almost like a faint beeping noise. I can hear best when the pedal is down all the way on the freeway in 5th gear. It's loud enough to hear over the turbo whistle. That is the sound of your tires crying out faintly for mercy tongue.gif

I have to agree with the above post.

I have owned Hot Rods, Camaros, Corvettes all my life. NONE of them have been left stock for more than a month. All of my toys have turned low 12

Jorday
12-26-2003, 08:37
I don't know what the wierd noise is. It seems to be coming from the engine.

Burner
12-26-2003, 10:41
Jorday, if you have the "new" Attitude it just might be the ALARM settings going off. Check the Attitude settings for temp, speed & boost alarms.

Just a thought...........

Burner--------> :D

Burner
12-26-2003, 10:45
.... Could it be the windshield? There have been quite a few trucks with a windshield "weep" on the passenger side. Most folks don't notice it until the truck is @ speed.

Jorday
12-26-2003, 13:45
I don't have the attitude monitor, and I only hear this noise when at WOT.