PDA

View Full Version : ZF six-speed question

James S
04-22-2002, 21:24
Hi There,

I have a rather unique question. For those of you with the six-speed transmission AND a four by four, how do you change from two-wheel drive to four wheel-drive, or four-wheel low, etc. When I configured a vehicle today, on the GM Canada website, when I checked the box for the four-wheel drive lever, the configurator said that I could not have the six-speed because there was not enough room on the floor for both units. It also would not let me get the cassette deck option I wanted to get. With a four by two, it worked fine, minus the cassette deck. So what do you do with a four by four? Do you get a four by four, and it always stays in two-wheel drive? If so, it makes no sense to get a four by four, when you can not use that feature of putting it in four-wheel drive, for which you pay three-thousand dollars for. If this is a provlem, is it being addressed with the two-thousand and threes? Sorry for the rant, but I'm frustrated, in case you hadn't noticed. I hope to hear from someone soon on this issue. I want the four by four, and cassette deck, but with the six-speed, NOT the Alison. There's better fuel milage, power, torqe, etc, I think. Thank you for any help.

James

madmax7
04-22-2002, 21:28
It might be that what you can only get when you choose the 6 speed is the push button (above and to the right of the headlight switch) type of four wheel drive selector. Sounds weird though.

See:
http://www.chevrolet.com/silverado/images/main/instrument_major.jpg

[ 04-22-2002: Message edited by: madmax7 ]</p>

srubrn
04-22-2002, 21:34
Good news. I have the six speed and have four wheel drive. I have the manual four wheel drive shifter right beside the tranny shifter. Never heard of what you talking about.

NickLeinonen
04-23-2002, 04:33
you can not get the CD player and TAPE deck in the zf6 equipped models. i just built an ls cc sb 4x4 on gmcanada.com and they would not allow for a tape deck. build a base model truck there and you could get am/fm stereo or for $250 you could get a cd/am/fm stereo. in all the new trucks, the cd player is the head unit and the tape deck is a remote mounted unit that is mounted in the center console, which is in the way if you want a zf6 tranny and floor shifter 4x4. tried building the same trucks on chevy & gmc sites, no luck. if you really want the cassette, you can probably special order it at the dealer. my pops did that on his 99 silverado 5.3 pushbutton 4x4 slushbox. price of casette deck was -$150

NutNbutGMC
04-23-2002, 04:55
^...............IMHO, I wouldn't bother with a cassette player. They are about as obsolete as an 8-track player. Go with the XM radio, and you won't even use the CD player. smile.gif

mackey_62
04-23-2002, 05:28
Congrats going for the zf6 and "manual shift" transfer case. That pushbutton works great on cars, thats where it should stay. Had it on my '96 chev, went into 4x4 when it wanted to, usually after you need it. Never had a problem with the lever, 5 trucks from old '78 to '02. Anyway, you CAN get zf6 and manual transfer. However either one of those options precludes the console/cassette. Which is no big loss, cassette player belongs with the pushbutton.
Good luck, guarantee you'll like it.

[ 04-23-2002: Message edited by: mackey_62 ]</p>

Chevy Ryan
04-23-2002, 11:50
If memory serves me, the push button 4x4 is not even available with the ZF. That's OK. It feels good yanking that lever straight back. :D

crafty
04-24-2002, 12:40
The reason why you can't get the push button 4x4 with the 6 speed is that the push button system has to have an auto tranny to work. As for the cassette deck, as soon as you request the 6 speed you lose the front part of the centre console and that is where they mount the deck.

Big O
04-24-2002, 15:14
James S--Ditto on what Mackey said. Be assured, YOU CAN GET THE ZF6 AND 4X4. Just go to your dealer and order it. As for as mpg, I think most Allison are getting as good as my 6 spd.