PDA

View Full Version : Would like power upgrade gameplan

64postcarnut
12-25-2003, 19:55
Hi all,

Newbie looking for advice on power upgrades.At what mileage and in what sequence should I begin?Truck has 3K on it now.

Am I automatically voiding my warranty with a "box",assuming I can re-program back to stock without leaving a footprint that the dealer can find?
How much extra hp/tq can the stock Allison reliably handle?
The consensus seems to be that the Edge box is preferred at this time,correct?

Any other suggestions welcomed.

Thanks in advance

Jomar
12-25-2003, 21:23
A lot depends on what features you want and how much you want to spend. I have the Predator and it serves my desires well. Others like the juice and it it a good one also and still there are others . So you will have to compare all the pros and cons and make your on decision. I, and most everyone else would highly recommend getting gauges also, EGT and Boost.

Jomar

sonofagun
12-26-2003, 09:30
Dave,

Jomar has it right. I would get 4" exhaust first (Kennedy or Banks), then guages (I run a SPA digital Pyro/Boost), then a box (I run the Juice. regular grade. I tow a 5th wheel and level 2 is where I leave it all the time). You WILL void your warranty with a power box so pull it if you need service. I run the regular juice instead of the attitude because my pyro guage is separate from it and the probe doesn't say EDGE on it. The Allison will certainally handle Juice level 2. Many run level 4 with no trouble as the Juice will intervine if you are slipping the tranny.

These parts add up quickly but the truck is so much better with their addition, especially if you tow heavy.

Regards and good luck,
Bob

Burner
12-26-2003, 11:09
Dave,

First things first. Have you drained the rear dope yet? There are two big questions that are a little vague. 1st question: How much money do you want to put in it?; Second question: How much power do you want?

----- By my estimates the Allison will handle 380 HP @ the fly-wheel or 380 x .82 = 311 HP @ the wheels. The Juice on # 2 or 60 HP will be fine for whatever you want to do. However, the OEM set-up on the Allison does not like "lots" of HP below 1,800 RPM. I would use a lower setting on the fuel... until ya RACE. :D The best thing to do is call John Kennedy and get the standard Attitude set-up. This system will encompass your pyro, gauges, temp monitors, slip monitors and won't "reflash" your system, which GM can detect. It is possible to upgrade the Attitude beyond the 125 HP box, 145 and more are on tap. However, you WILL NEED A TRANNY to reliably get more than 90HP to the ground.

---- There are two things missing on the Juice DATA STREAM type box. The tire size will not show on your ODM or speedo and there is no speed limiter defeat.

Ok, that's my .02 worth.........

Burner---------> :D

64postcarnut
12-26-2003, 12:31
Burner,

No, I haven't changed the diff. fluid yet.I haven't even looked at the diff.

I don't want to spend extra money on features(of the box) that I won't use.I figure around $1500. to get the box,exhaust,gauges etc,done.Money really isn't the issue,I'm trying to preserve the warranty and make a little extra power up here.

I stopped at the dealer today to see what I could get away with,and the short answer is nothing.And the sales mgr.is a good friend. Taller tires void the warranty.Engine mods void the warranty.I was told the entire bumper to bumper warranty and the powertrain warranty is voided with any mods!!!

The Moss act doesn't mean squat if you have to sue for every repair,and wait 2 years for it to work it's way through the courts.

An addition 90 hp is probably going to be adequate for me.

The most I tow is an 18 ft. open car hauler.5000-6000# max.

Thanks for the suggestions.

[ 12-26-2003, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: 64postcarnut ]

sdaver
12-26-2003, 14:53
write the friend off and find a new dealer.......remove all boxes before a visit.....taller tires and voided warrenty is bull****.........standard 90 hp juice is by far the best bang for the buck......on and off in five minutes..use a nylon tie and you will have no velcro sticky residue.........dave

Amianthus
12-30-2003, 18:36
Well, as I see it, I would upgrade in the order below. Do what you wish, this is just based on my experience.

Gauges. Gauges, gauges, gauges!!!
Air box upgrade (filter, cold air, etc)
Fuel system and filtration enhancements (fuel lines, filters, etc.)
Exhaust
Fuel system enhancement module (but only one)
Transmission upgrades
Exhaust Brake (optional)
Second Fuel system enhancement module
Turbine Upgrades
Enhanced fuel injectors (if you dare)
Water injection
Propane
Nitrous

The last four can be had in most any order. But the rest should be done in that order. IMHO. Of course, the extent of the modification step depends on what you want to do with the truck (i.e. 4" exhaust vs. 5" or Standard Juice vs. Competition Juice).

Hope this helps.

SoCalDMAX
12-30-2003, 22:30
I'd suggest the following, in this order:

1. 4" exhaust, or 4" exhaust with 5" muffler and tailpipe. 4"/5" system probably doesn't flow any better, but it doesn't cost much more and the look on other people's faces when they see a 5" pipe sticking out and it's NOT a tip... is priceless! I have a Kennedy exhaust, and although there are plenty of other brands out there, customer service is important to me when it comes to diesel mods and he's all about customer service.

2. AFE or Uni or UMP or Amsoil intake. If you want more flow with a big conical filter, smooth aluminum pipe and some nice turbo whistle, the AFE is really nice. If you want well designed (offroad type) with a huge Donaldson paper element (excellent filtration), the UMP might fit the bill. If you want very good flow with great filtration that drops right into the stock airbox, the Uni or Amsoil foam filters are the ticket.

3. I'd suggest the Edge Juice with Attitude for power. It's the most refined, smoothest, quietest box. Based on reports from people who have tried them all. With decent EGTs, 5 adjustable settings on the fly, torque enhancement adjustment, and display of 4 parameters on the fly (boost, EGT, trans slip, TC lockup, corrected speed, rpm, engine temp, defuel %, among others) it also serves as gauges. If you get curious about something, just change display settings and monitor that for a while. Actually pretty cheap module for all that you get with your extra 125hp (more like 135hp or so).

At this point, you're making right at about max. that the trans can safely handle, and the Juice will back down if it detects trans slip. Since a trans upgrade can cost in excess of $5,000, this is a good stopping point. You'll be making enough power to eat just about anyone's lunch. You could also tow heavy up steep grades so fast that not only could you pass at will, but you'll go to jail if caught.

So be very careful. ;) I'd suggest a Valentine 1 radar locator. I run one and although it isn't as sophisticated as the $2M ESM system I operated in the Navy, it's as close as a civilian can buy and well worth $400.

BTW, Kennedy sells just about all of the above except the Valentine 1. But don't let me influence you... ;)

Kennedy
12-31-2003, 06:36
Aron,

We're going to need to get that Cummins up here on the dyno! Hope to have it running (blew controls out on first run) soon, and with the ability to hold to set speed(800HP holding capability), we can spool those twins as hard as you want without going over. New controls due in today, and a few hours of equipment testing lie ahead...

Amianthus
01-02-2004, 12:22
John,
It may be the only way I'll ever know for sure.
They're running pretty good right now. Just a couple more little odds-n-ends and I should be ready to go. Fixed the exhaust leaks (lost two outta four turbo flange bolts), installed 5" exhaust, monkeyed with wastegate, monkeyed with injector geometry. I should be ready pretty soon for a run on #2 only. Just gotta install an external wastegate. Just in case I get stoopid.

Then I gotta reconnect the LPG, then finish the water system. One project at a time though. Wastegate is next. I can't wait!

ih1466
01-07-2004, 08:14
http://www.scheiddiesel.com/

John with the Dodge. If you are looking for Dodge help try these guys if you have not already. They would know alot. Truck pulling is a big deal in their area. I know about them through tractor pulling.