PDA

View Full Version : New fuel filter kit questions

DmaxCC6spd
12-26-2003, 07:22
I was browsing John Kennedy's site today and see he now offers a Caterpillar Filter Kit. Kennedy's site (http://www.kennedydiesel.com/detail.cfm?id=293) shows some information. Has anyone tried one of these. They are currently listed as backordered. THis seems to make the most sense to me. I wanted an easy mount kit, preferably post OEM and from my reading, the Cat filters seem to have favorable reviews. Is the Cat filter offered one of the absolute 2 micron types? This sounds like a good spring project.

Kennedy
12-27-2003, 06:10
The Baldwin Mega is still my #1 choice. The Cat filters #'s commonly used by others (749 and 750) are MUCH smaller, but allow me to sell a full kit w/spare element for significantly less $$$. The Baldwin equivalent to these numbers still offers a post seal like the Mega too! Just waiting for development of the center nipple.

As for filtering ability, I spoke with a customer the other day who tried the big Cat filter on his setup, and saw reduced performance. Not saying this is hard evidence, just one man's observation.

If one were to hold the elements in their hands, the differences would be amazing. The Mega element is sized for a V-12 diesel engine as a SECONDARY...

maxinDixon
12-28-2003, 12:39
The mega is indeed impressive in size and much larger than the cat (749). I have run both of them in a pre-OEM configuration (the mega under the air cleaner and the cat next to the fuel tank) and have found no degredation in performance from either filter. I'm sure either of them will do the job intended. For me the mega required bleeding of the fuel system every other fill up no matter how I ran the plumbing and checked my fittings in order to prevent cold start stalls. Of course this can be rectified by a lift pump. The cat to date has not had an air issue and I use no lift pump. I'm beginning to think that the location of the filter has a great deal to do with its retention of air/gases than the filter itself. I wonder, for those who have an air issue, if anyone has mounted the mega back by the tank and what the result was?

gene smith
12-28-2003, 16:53
John
Get with Geo and have him show you my fuel sample results and have him post it if you want, mega is post. only diff is lift pump has filter water seperator.
Geno

a bear
01-02-2004, 19:58
For experimentation I had installed the Cat IR0755 which is another high efficiency Cat filter on my Mega base. This is a huge 5-3/8" X 12-3/32 long element with the same filtering media as the IR0749 and IR0750. My fuel sample results came back showing a decrease in performance in all particle size ranges. Never the less the Cat did perform well and kept particle counts below target cleanliness. The smaller particles were close. For the above reasons and confidence in the fuel sampling and results I have decided to go back to the Baldwin element. I am actually wondering if the Baldwin treated media aids in the overall performance.

Kennedy
01-03-2004, 06:50
Originally posted by maxinDixon:
The mega is indeed impressive in size and much larger than the cat (749). I have run both of them in a pre-OEM configuration (the mega under the air cleaner and the cat next to the fuel tank) and have found no degredation in performance from either filter. I'm sure either of them will do the job intended. For me the mega required bleeding of the fuel system every other fill up no matter how I ran the plumbing and checked my fittings in order to prevent cold start stalls. Of course this can be rectified by a lift pump. The cat to date has not had an air issue and I use no lift pump. I'm beginning to think that the location of the filter has a great deal to do with its retention of air/gases than the filter itself. I wonder, for those who have an air issue, if anyone has mounted the mega back by the tank and what the result was? I'm sure a guy could do it this way, and the air trapping would not be an issue, but I just can't see putting a filter back in the road slop...

BTW, the only holdup on the econo kit is the nipple as the Mega head is designed as a modular component.

[ 01-03-2004, 06:06 AM: Message edited by: kennedy ]

jbplock
01-03-2004, 08:35
Tommy,

Nice Work! :cool: If you send me your ISO test results I'll add it to the Fuel Test Results Data (http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO/OC_Dmax.pdf)

Also, Geno (or George) if you send me your data I'll add it as well... (diesel1 at usadatnet dot net)

smile.gif

Jorday
01-03-2004, 08:37
I'll be using the baldwin filter if I choose to get a second filter.

a bear
01-03-2004, 16:12
Bill,
Just sent a copy.

jbplock
01-03-2004, 18:09
Thanks Tommy! Got it.. :cool: I'll have the data posted soon.
smile.gif