PDA

View Full Version : Hard Start

Phid
11-03-2004, 16:36
6.5 turbo, 1995.Hard start even with heater pluged in. Glow plugs replaced last year. Had dealer check everything and read computer. He claimed no problem found. Smokes alot. All this after replaceing diesel pump about 5000 miles ago. Shuting off the coolant sensor helps a little. Should I change timing??

More Power
11-04-2004, 15:10
Clean fuel filter and correctly operating electric fuel lift pump?

How many miles are on the engine? Did the hard starting begin suddenly or develop slowly over a long period of time?

High mileage engines with hard starting problems "could" have more slack in the timing chain and/or somewhat lower compression.

MP

Phid
11-05-2004, 11:00
Hard Start began shortly after the diesel pump was replaced. That was about 10,000 miles ago. Has been problem since then although it starts ok in temp above 50 degrees. Has 130,000 miles. Runs good otherwise. No difference with new fuel filter. Seems to get plenty of fuel at least if the large amount of smoke is an idication.

Bigg R
11-09-2004, 13:58
My 95 did the same thing! I fought it for two years,replaced everything-nothing! Even dealer said injection timing was OK. Then I finally bought A Tech 1A scanner and checked it myself.
Turns out some dumb a** mechanic set timing at
+1.94! I reset timing offset to -1.94 no problems
starting ever again! My truck will even start
cold with a non-working glow contoller(had to do
it when controller ****d)! So my answer is to have
your timing reset to at least a negative number,
and have it done by someone other than a parts
replacer(Dealer Mechanic)!!!!!
GOOD LUCK

Barry Nave
11-09-2004, 18:05
A good 6.5 mec. at a dealer is becoming a thing of the past. With my post about code 35 and 26 a dealer would want to R&R the pump.
Fire wall wiring did it all.

BERT
11-10-2004, 05:22
I CHANGED MY INJ PUMP ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO AND THE TRUCK WAS THE WORST TO START EXTENDED CRANKING TIME I CHECKED EVERYTHING BECAUSE THIS IS WHAT I DO FOR A LIVING ANYWAY LAST WEEK I NOTICED A VALVE COVER LEAK ON THE RIGHT SIDE SO I TOOK EVERYTHING OFF THE TURBO AND SO ON SO WHILE I HAD IT ALL APART WITH 166,000 MILES ON THE TRUCK I CHANGED THE INJECTERS AND THE GLOW PLUGS WELL NOW THE TRUCK IS LIKE BRAND NEW JUST TOUCH THE KEY AND IT LIGHTS OFF NO MORE HARD START AND RUNS LIKE A RAPED APE ALSO TIMEING IS AT -194 SO I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU GOOD LUCK

Phid
11-15-2004, 15:26
Thanks for the help on hard starting. I will check the timing.