PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Additives

NewEnglandDmax
08-20-2003, 21:15
Sorry if this is a redundant post, I have tried the search function to no avail. Get a lot of posts, but none answer my question. Is anybody using additives? What kind and how frequent? Every/every other fill up? what advantages do you all see? I purchased a case of the Amsoil additive and when that was done I purched some FPPF Total Power and Cetane +8 from Kennedy. So far, the Cedtane +8 seems to give me some +MPG. Thanks.

DmaxProf
08-20-2003, 21:24
I have been using FPPF Total Power, ordered from Kennedy, almost from the first tank of fuel. I now have almost 12,000 miles. This has included very low temps during the past winter as well as heavy towing (12,000 lb 5th wheel) in the mountains of Colorado during the summer months. I usually add approximately 1 ounce of Total Power for every 4 gals of fuel added at each fill up. So far I have been very pleased.

ChevysRus
08-20-2003, 21:39
Maybe I did the math wrong, but you got me thinking. I bought and 8 OZ bottle of FFFP and it said it treated 240 gallons, so 8 into 240 is 30 gallons. So I add 1-1.5 OZ to every tank full (I usually get about 36-38 gallons on a fillup with my 45 gallon T/F tank).

If you are doing 1 OZ to every 4 gallons are you doing too much or am I just being stingy? Is too much harmful? Don't know first time I used this stuff. Was using Power Service stuff from Wally World. Maybe you do that in cold climates, here it rarely gets below 50F.

Thanks for the info.

OH!! :rolleyes: maybe I can answer my own question. I think I am using the concentrate FFFP and maybe that's the difference.

Kennedy
08-20-2003, 21:46
Fuel Power is highly concentrated, but limited capabilities, and comes in 8oz bottles. I only keep it around for emergency "dry outs" on suspect systems and such.

Trip
08-21-2003, 06:28
I'm using Stanadyne's High Perf. in every tank to help with any water and add lubricity.