PDA

View Full Version : By-Pass filter feed from oil gallery plug.

hatzie55
07-14-2004, 21:37
I've recently aquired an Oil Guard 20 series depth filter for my 2000 Sierra 6.5
Has anyone used one of the gallery plugs on the side of the block above the filter as a feed for your by-pass setups? If you have can you tell me if they are NPT?
I would like to limit the length of flexible hose used and make the lines mostly out of steel.
I have a decent return location. I can plumb it through a brazed in fitting on the side of the filler tube. I intend to run steel line along the intake and down the back/side of the block along the bellhousing to motor seam. Tabs brazed to the line pinched under the bellhousing bolts and some suitable bolts up top should keep it from rattling around and making a mess.

CareyWeber
07-15-2004, 16:06
Originally posted by hatzie55:
I've recently aquired an Oil Guard 20 series depth filter for my 2000 Sierra 6.5
Has anyone used one of the gallery plugs on the side of the block above the filter as a feed for your by-pass setups? If you have can you tell me if they are NPT?
I would like to limit the length of flexible hose used and make the lines mostly out of steel.
I have a decent return location. I can plumb it through a brazed in fitting on the side of the filler tube. I intend to run steel line along the intake and down the back/side of the block along the bellhousing to motor seam. Tabs brazed to the line pinched under the bellhousing bolts and some suitable bolts up top should keep it from rattling around and making a mess. Yes they are NPT IIRC 3/8" at least on my 97.

hatzie55
07-17-2004, 08:21
Thanks Carey
I can add the plumbing to that. :D Good 350` 3/8" ID hydraulic hose from the block and return line to the frame and steel to the filter.
Looks like the best place for the filter is on the transmission crossmember with a fabbed bracket.... My rig is a manual dunno if it would fit there on an auto truck.

The Racor 645 is going on a "C" bracket behind the transmission crossmember.

CareyWeber
07-17-2004, 10:08
Originally posted by hatzie55:
Thanks Carey
I can add the plumbing to that. :D Good 350` 3/8" ID hydraulic hose from the block and return line to the frame and steel to the filter.
Looks like the best place for the filter is on the transmission crossmember with a fabbed bracket.... My rig is a manual dunno if it would fit there on an auto truck.

The Racor 645 is going on a "C" bracket behind the transmission crossmember. hatzie55,

FYI I mounted my by-pass filter on the drivers side battery mount.

I really think a by-pass filter is the best way to protect a engine. smile.gif :D ;) :cool:

Carey