PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic Engine oil

Murf
08-20-2003, 22:29
Do I have to use the 15-40wt engine oil as specified in our owners manual. If so, where can I get some synthetic blend of it on the net.
Thanks - Murf

MAV
08-20-2003, 22:49
Amsoil makes a 15w-40 synthetic. Never used it but I have used the Amsoil 5w-30 diesel synthetic. Also used regular Rotella 15w-40. Currently have Rotella 5w-40 synthetic. No problems with any of them. I like the Amsoil 5w-30 diesel syn for extreme cold winter starts.

Wal-Mart carries the Rtella-5w-40 syn and 15w-40 regular dino.
Sams also carries the Rotella 15w-40 dino oil.
Greg the Amsoil guy or Kennedy sell the Amsoil products.

Burner
08-20-2003, 22:54
Murf, Let that poor motor break-in before ya go slamm'n the slickerly stuff in it, give it at least 15 or 20k for break-in. Delvac 1 and Amsoil will fill your order for syn. ;) Contact George.........

Burner-------> :D

Murf
08-20-2003, 22:58
Well I'd like to let the debate begin - how soon should I go to the synthetics? I've heard here before that Corvettes come from the factory with synth, course they ain't as fast as our rigs!! ;) Anybody? Murf

mdrag
08-21-2003, 00:29
Murf,

Multiple oil analysis results posted on these forums suggest that high levels of silicon are not an uncommon occurrence for the Dmax early on. The high silicon levels typically fall to normal levels after a few oil changes.

One approach is to change the oil/filter early and often for 2 or 3 changes - using an approved conventional oil. Dumping expensive synthetics after short intervals doesn't make economic sense.

MOBIL (http://www.mobil1.com/why/myths***p) maintains that is OK to switch to synthetics at any time. Dr. Lee has discussed this issue a few times in his forum, and agrees with this viewpoint.

I took this route and began using Mobil Delvac 1 synthetic before 2K miles. There certainly will be differences in opinions on this subject, and this topic will undoubtedly generate multiple opinions.

Cliffee
08-21-2003, 00:36
Most say wait till 10k. That's when I switched to Amsoil 15w40 Synthetic. Another thing I found the helps with the break in and helps eliminate damage is to install somekind of strong magnetic drain plg like the "SuperPlug". It really catches stuff in the 1st couple of thousand miles. Why not leave it in permanently anyway. Can't hurt.

LanduytG
08-21-2003, 07:01
Change oil at 1000 miles using a good conventional oil and then again at 3000. At the 3000 mark use what ever synthetic suits your fancy. You can't go wrong by using Delvac 1 or any of the Amsoil diesel oils. As for weight to use that is a can of worms. Use which ever weight you feel good about. I have many customers using the Series 3000 5W-30 for thousands of miles and most are pulling heavy loads everyday for a living.

Greg

Kennedy
08-21-2003, 08:07
Originally posted by Murf:
Well I'd like to let the debate begin - how soon should I go to the synthetics? I've heard here before that Corvettes come from the factory with synth, course they ain't as fast as our rigs!! ;) Anybody? Murf Whenever it is financially practical to run relatively short drain intervals. I like to changethe oil several times within the first 5k miles...

NewEnglandDmax
08-21-2003, 19:54
Speaking of those magnet drain plugs how many use them? I have the Fumoto going on next change but was thinking about one of the magnet super plugs. I dont mind the mess as I drop the skid plate and put down some pig mats. thanks.

John

imported_
08-21-2003, 20:52
I've got one but haven't seen any metallic dust/grit stuck to it yet these past 3 changes (Delvac 1 every 5,000).

Nice big 7/8 nut - better than OEM plug.

Kennedy
08-21-2003, 22:00
After conversing with Mdrag, I decided to take on Filter Mag. These friggin magnets are WICKED! You cannot pull them off, you have to slide them. I even put one on my OE fuel filter to try it!

Some models even have a set screw to use to "jack" them off. :eek:

For those who do not use the Fumoto, George has SUPER magnetic drain plugs.

imported_
08-21-2003, 22:19
Last time I checked they were still developing teh big one for the Duramax. Said it would have to be super strong to hang onto metallic dust in the 60# + oil pressures.

I want one.

MadDuraMax
08-22-2003, 14:29
I'm with JK on this one, a couple of quick changes with dino at 1000 & 3000 miles just because of the price difference in the oil. Then changed to Mobil Delvac 5w40 and have been happy since.

I also have one of George's (AV Lube) super mags, it has always looked clean to me when changing the oil. I don't think you'll need a stronger mag unless you want to fight putting the plug back in. That thing ROCK's.

Mark

imported_
08-26-2003, 16:42
If you switch over to synthetic oil can you go back to regular oil in future??? Iam just curious..

george morrison
08-26-2003, 17:07
Regarding the question of switching back to mineral based oil from synthetic. Yes. Like switching from a fine vintage wine to beer.. There are no compatibility issues, only performance..
George