PDA

View Full Version : Allison Temp Seems Way Tooooo High

Billy14
04-23-2002, 23:55
Hey guys,

Just reading through the posts regarding fan engages too much.

Seems like all of you are talking about trans. temps between 180-200 even pulling loads up to 16K and 100 degrees ambient outside air temps.

My truck, empty & no trailer has pulled 230 degrees according to the gauge with in town driving over an hour or so. :( With the A/C on it will rise much faster. Outside temp. 75-85 degrees. I feel the gauge & sensor are O.K. because the fan engages at around 210. Engine temp has never gone above 195.

I questioned my dealer & was told don't worry about it unless the message center throws something at me. I replied well that's good news but what if I hook up a trailer with 10K & get 100 miles out of town and start boiling the Allison. :confused:

Reply was something like well, then call a wrecker. Not what I wanted to here. Checked the cooling tubes for crimping and everything looks fine.

Any Ideas? 9,500 miles on the truck

Billy

[ 04-24-2002: Message edited by: Billy14 ]</p>

DmaxMaverick
04-24-2002, 03:55
The numbers do not sound right. I would immediately suspect a bad gage or sender. I have never been able to get mine above 210, and that's hauling my 12K 5'ver up 17 miles of a 7% to 12% grade, all below 20 MPH (T/C unlocked) in the heat of summer (105

Redhawk
04-24-2002, 11:05
Billy14, the temps you are seeing sound much too high, especially the empty truck temps. I suspect a gauge/sender malfunction. I regularly travel 10 to 12% (some gravel roads) towing my fiver, at slow speeds and never see anything approaching the high temps you are seeing. I have seen 200 degrees only once towing up a grade on a hot day. I would insist on a test of some kind at your dealer.

[ 04-24-2002: Message edited by: Redhawk ]</p>

TXDMAX
04-24-2002, 11:32
Billy14, Just talked to our svc advisor he said best thing would be to call 1-800-chevusa and they would be able to send you to a dealer w/ high customer satisfaction scores instead of what you are getting. If that doesn't help let me know I can put you through to our transmission guy and see if he can help over the phone. That does seem warm I drove back from Houston last week-end and mine running 75-85 mph unloaded and it never got above 200 degrees

Billy14
04-24-2002, 12:26
Thanks to all for the help and information.

I forgot to add in my original post that highway driving cools the tranny temp down to under 200. It's only in town driving that pulls it over the 200 mark, not rush hr. stop & go, but just normal driving around town with multiple shifts.

Thanks again,

Billy

hjd3021
04-24-2002, 16:59
I have noticed the temperature rises when doing a lot of in town stop and go driving. Mine has never been above 200 but the outside temps here in WA have been under 60F. I seem to remember reading in the manual about taking the Allison out of gear if stopped for a signifcant period like 5 minutes otherwise I think it said the transmission could overheat. Has anyone had experience creeping along of sitting in stopped traffic?

bora
04-24-2002, 18:33
In town driving daily with 70-80 degree temps, I never see transmission temps anywhere over 200.

Bora

pullinpower
04-24-2002, 19:55
Well pullin my dozer(11k)plus trailer the tranny temp got to 210 in town stop and go traffic.I kept a watch on the guage ;)

mackin
04-24-2002, 19:58
Hot Rodding around on "JUICE" stop sign to stop sign..95 degress out never got to, or above 200........Some tang isn't right..Bring it in get it documented if anything.......
MAC :D :D

[ 04-24-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

SoCalDMAX
04-24-2002, 20:00
Billy14,

I also think there is something wrong, those temps sound too high. In stop and go, commute and reg fwy driving, I got 140-150* (with the regular pan). The highest I've ever seen, doing 20 or so successive powerbraking, full throttle runs to 70mph or so is 194-200*.

With the deep pan and Transynd installed last weekend, the only difference I've seen is it's a little slower to warm up in the morning.

I would definitely pursue it, those numbers you posted sound significantly higher than anyone else's. Keep us posted on the outcome!

Regards, Steve

MNBowTie
04-26-2002, 19:51
Billy14,

We had a couple of record days here in Minnesota, temps in the low 90's. I was running the A/C and driving around town empty and I, as well was shocked to see the the tranny temp running 220; I only looked beause I heard the fan kick in and the engine temp was normal. I'm going to watch it more closely, when it warms up again and report what happens. Might snow tonight 4/26.

Tim B
04-26-2002, 23:13
Hey MNBOWTIE - It's apparent that your problem is you're still plugging it in at night and you haven't taken the winter bra off yet !
But seriously, we've had heat here in central Florida for a few weeks now, but mine never gets much above 150 - 170 when not towing.

Tim B.

pinehill
04-26-2002, 23:43
To those who are seeing high tranny temps while driving through in-town traffic on a hot day, try running in tow/haul when you see those conditions.

When I tow my 10K trailer in-town, I always use tow/haul, but after making a stop in a city last summer, I forgot to re-engage tow/haul and experienced much higher than normal tranny temps. Temperature went down soon after engaging tow/haul.

Billy14
04-27-2002, 00:58
Well fellow D/Max Hot Allison owners,

Beginning to look like I'm not the only one. Guess that's good, & bad. Like MNBowTie, I wouldn't have noticed it until the unmistakable roar of the fan fired up. Looked down & said to myself, holy HOT big beefy Allison. What in the hell (pardon the pun) is going on here? No load, no haul, the gauge must be out. Discounted this pretty quick because the fan doesn't engage off the gauge itself.

Don't know guys & girls, just doesn't seem right to me. Pulled my little 14 ft. tandom trailer with about 2,500 lbs. today mostly at highway speeds & the temp topped out at 200. 92 degrees here today. Just doesn't make since. Obviously it must be the shifting that's creating the excessive heat. Thought these big 5 speed babies were designed to do this. Shift & maintain torque but not overheat. :confused: :confused:

Maybe my dealer was right! Don't worry about it until the message center blows up.

Billy