PDA

View Full Version : What are the differences between GM turbos

BARRAZA
11-04-2004, 09:46
I am putting a turbo on a 6.2 in a 72 chevy truck and need some help. I have a banks manifold and intake hat and am fabricating everything else. I have read that the GM turbos from 6.5's will bolt to the banks manifold. Since they are available relatively cheap, compared to buying a turbo directly from banks, how do they compare? And, how do they compare with each other, ie what is the difference between a GM5 and a GM8? The turbo that banks uses in their 6.2 kits is non wastegated, do all the 6.5 turbos use wastgates, and how are they controlled? Do all the 6.5 turbos use exhaust outlets that turn 90 degrees and point straight down?

catmandoo
11-04-2004, 15:50
you will run into a problem with the gm turbo in your 72.the gm turbos dump out the bottom so you will have a sharp bend right out of the turbo.i don't know if you have enough room to do that???

BARRAZA
11-04-2004, 19:15
Yes, I am concerned about the clearance for the exhaust. Can the outlet for the GM turbos be rotated or can it only exit straight down?

grape
11-05-2004, 06:36
They make t3 exhaust housing and wheel combinations that exit straight back.......like a Buick Grand National. Or even if you find a T4 framed turbo with a P trim exhaust wheel, turbo companies make an exhaust housing to adapt that combo to a T3 mounting flange, usually referred to as "Euro style".