PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter

Murray the Cop
12-29-2003, 17:41
I have been changing it every oil change which is 3000 or about 1 month.If I switch to Amsoil full synthetic,which will prolong the change time, should I stay with the 3000 intervals on the fuel filter or will changing it with the oil filter at 5000 be OK? Thanks

Anthony

Hound
12-29-2003, 19:12
I think if you go through the Diesel Suppliment to the Owners Manual, you'll find that GM recommends 15,000 mile change interval for the fuel filter.

More Power
12-30-2003, 11:57
As mentioned above, GM recommends fuel filter replacements at 15,000 miles, but a lot depends on the fuel quality you encounter. 10,000-15,000 miles would be a good starting point.

GM now recommends a 15,000 mile oil drain interval as well. Using synthetic could make sense with this extended drain interval, but a lot depends on your use of the vehicle. Heavy towing introduces more soot into the oil, and may require a shorter drain interval. An engine oil analysis could help you determine maximum drain intervals for your situation. Visit www.avlube.com (http://www.avlube.com) for engine oil (and fuel) analysis kits.

Personally, I change fuel filters at 10K and oil/filter at 5-7K. I presently run Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 synthetic.

MP

jrjones26
12-30-2003, 13:53
Why such a short interval on fuel filters? The Dodge I had recommended fuel filter changes every 20k miles which I did most of the time. However, the old filters never looked significantly dirty. If the filters are as expensive as they were for the Dodge & you have someone else do the work, maintenance costs could get very expensive. I expect these fuel filters are as expensive since I paid a GM dealer about $40 for a fuel filter for a 6.5 TD back in '94.

jrj

CntrlCalDmax
12-30-2003, 14:03
I changed all three fuel filters (http://www.corpair.com/dmax/fuelfilter.htm) this weekend. The Stanadne pre-OEM 5 micron filter had 10,998 miles, while both the OEM and post-Mega had 24,410 miles. It looks like it was too long for the OEM but the Mega could run quite a bit longer.

I found out why I had such a hard time changeing the OEM last time. When I removed the filter the top center seal stayed in the head. It took a lot of effort to install the new filter which had a new center seal along with the old seal that remained in the head. It ran fine for 24K miles, but I'm really glad it isn't that hard to change every time. Double seals. (http://www.corpair.com/dmax/stackedseal.htm)

Other filter pictures (http://www.corpair.com/dmax/dmax.htm)

jbplock
12-30-2003, 16:25
Leo,

Great Pictures! :D The Mega at 24k looks like new. I was thinking I would change mine at 25k (currently at 14k) butI think I'll go at least to 30K after seeing yours.

smile.gif

Kennedy
12-31-2003, 06:20
Looks good Leo! After jumping the gun at 15k on my Mega, I figured 30K, or annually. I'm not sure, but I almost think that the treatment on the media MAY tend to not discolor. The blackening we see on the OE units may be caused by the absorption of water, or asphaltines. If someone has run a Mega as a pre OEM for substantial miles it would be interesting to see if it discolored!

One word of caution on running such long intervals on the Mega or any element: I'd suggest a periodic draining of any contaminants (specifically water) just to be on the safe side. You never know what might get in there.

Additionally, after seeing what my Filtermag caught oon the OE filter, I snapped another on the Mega just to see what it would do there. I have been planning to take a sample some time soon here, just to see how clean I am with everyjting stabilized...

jbplock
12-31-2003, 06:49
Originally posted by kennedy:
...One word of caution on running such long intervals on the Mega or any element: I'd suggest a periodic draining of any contaminants (specifically water) just to be on the safe side. You never know what might get in there...Good point! I drained my Mega at about 10K when I changed the Stanadyne pre-filter and OEM. Found a few drops of water in the Stanadyne but nothing in the OEM or Mega.

smile.gif

CntrlCalDmax
12-31-2003, 14:25
The Mega has not been drained for the full 24K. I did drain some in a clean container before removing it and there was nothing at all. The OEM filter has several pieces of pliable material in it. The pre Stanadyne I didn't drain prior to removal.

Murray the Cop
01-02-2004, 13:20
I guess I'm just wasting money by changing so often. How about some more info on these other filters.Are they second and third filters to the primary or just different filters? I am using Racor filters,are they good? Thanks

Hound
01-02-2004, 20:09
Murray, Racor is the only company to make a fuel filter to fit the dmax on the OEM mount. They are rebadged as Fram also and probably a couple of others. Keep in mind this is ONLY for the fuel filters tho so don't go runnin out to buy up a supply of Fram oil filters ;) .

I think most are probably changing fuel filters somewhere in the neighborhood of 10,000 miles, but it all depends on your fuel supply.

The other filters being discussed, CAT and Baldwin, are either pre-OEM or post-OEM secondary fuel filters. Others have used different Racor, Dahl, or what have you filters as secondary filtration. smile.gif

[ 01-03-2004, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: Hound ]

Murray the Cop
01-04-2004, 08:27
I am interested in a secondary filter set up and am trying to decide which one.Also trying to decide if I should install it pre or post. Seems like post would be a better set up but then there are the air issues.I read the review on the Mega on this site and it seems that a lift pump solves the problem but does not say for sure. What is the cost of a lift pump and is it an inline install ( in other words, easy)? Is kennedy the only one who offers a kit that uses the Baldwin filter or are there others? Thanks