PDA

View Full Version : Top secret spy info

getupingo
08-21-2003, 18:24
I was told from a reliable source at GM proving grounds here in AZ that in 2005 there is gona be a sixth gear added to the allison transmission.

I believe what he told me, but I was also wondering if anybody out there had heard the same as I have. Anyone?

getupingo

dmaxalliTech
08-21-2003, 19:46
Everything is already there to do so as far as powertrain, just need the plumbing to turn it on! IIRC its the Allison 2000 series that uses 6 speeds. I havent heard of it being introduced in light duty trucks. I have to wonder if that would be a good thing or not, considering we already have issues not holding the power and downshifting. IMHO it would cause some shift business, but I suppose programming could cure that. I will see if I can dig up any info on this.

SoCalDMAX
08-21-2003, 20:25
Yup, we heard a while back that some of the parts were there, just needed some solenoids and programming to use it. Final ratio is .61:1 as opposed to .71:1 for 5th. I kept hoping they'd announce it for '04 just to make Ford and Dodge look like last yrs tranny leftovers.

If a person had taller than stock tires (33" or whatever) and picked the right ratio (say 4.56 or something) for the R&P, he could have a very fast, sweet shifting, 6 speed auto tranny. To me, the optimum setup would be able to turn 1500 rpm at 70mph unloaded yet still turn 1900rpm at 68mh or so in 5th while towing. The shorter ratio would bring all the gears a little closer together and get the 4-5 shift out of the cruising speed.

Regards, Steve

Tsckey
08-21-2003, 20:27
It would be interesting to have an ultra-overdrive top gear for unloaded cruising. It is embarrassing somehow that my wife's Honda Odyssey has a higher net final drive ratio than my truck :(

TC

mdrag
08-21-2003, 20:30
Transferred to 2500HD/3500 HD Trucks & Drivetrain forum.