PDA

View Full Version : MAF function on the Duramax.

McRat
12-31-2003, 18:56
What does the MAF on a diesel do? I know what it does on gas engines, and have played with them a bit.

Does the engine add fuel when it "sees" more air? Could you just paint the element and gain HP?

Elowe65
12-31-2003, 19:46
Curious here too. Wonder if you can do the LS1 nitrous kit on this and have the system add more fuel.

McRat
01-01-2004, 11:55
I'm not getting my truck until Feb. but if I can find a scanner that will give me injector pulse duration, I'll test it. I have Ease and AutoTap, but I have a bad feeling neither are going to work.

Maybe an MAF translator might give simple cheap HP.

Amianthus
01-02-2004, 12:51
My limited experience with N2O systems is under a different philosophy.

With a gasser, you shoot a mix of NOS and fuel to increase the power and improve the burn (must maintain stoichiometric 14.7:1 ratio). On a diesel, you are just trying to finish burning the fuel you've already put in there (no ratio to maintain). One can put way more fuel into a diesel than it can burn efficiently for sure (as evidenced by black smoke). So one adds NOS to help get a more complete burn of the fuel that's already there. Make sense?

Inspector
01-04-2004, 18:25
On three different occasions I have had the check enging light come on while towing my 14000 lb. fiver. What I have done to the truck is to remove the cat and install juice attitude. That is it. I don't get the SES light not towing. Matt at edge on two of those occasions has scanned the ECM and found a MAF fault in history. The SES light will go out in time while towing. I thought that maybe it was the juice attitude causing it but it maybe because the cat is removed and the exhaust effiencey has improved to the point that air intake flows may be beyond upper limits set by the ecm and so a light is thrown. The exhaust system is stock otherwise. I am running an Amsoil air filter and no it is not over serviced with lube.
With the towing season fast approching I sure would like to get a handle on this annoying problem. I notice no degradation in performance when the light comes on. These lights were thrown when the truck was in a high boost situation.
Denny