PDA

View Full Version : FSD / PMD experience tells you different ?

Low_Bridge
07-15-2004, 03:36
I got to get this ironed out.

1. FSD/PMD relocating to front of center console where it tilts under & there's already 12v for fan.

2. FSD mounting to a 8 x 5 x 1 1/5 finned Heatsink, flat one side. With one fan that will be wired to ignition.

3. Opposite side of FSD where the plug goes on the the smaller flat surface will have a heat sink that fan will be temp / time controlled to keep running for a short time after shut down.

4. If that 8' Stanadyne extention has male & female I'd rather splice & solder that to run to the cab. Than hack into the original harness.

5. # 5 resistor

6. I havn't ruled that 3x5 square above the ac controls on the dash for relocation but I needed to start a plan being my new fsd & heatsink are on the way. It may make for a cleaner install but obviously a tighter fit.

Q. Should I take my new fsd down to bare metal :eek: to improve thermal transfer qualities. Sanding or with Acetone?

Any input or correction in design would be appreciated.

[ 07-21-2004, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: Bill D'Addio ]

Kennedy
07-15-2004, 04:57
I put an FSD cooler on my 96 in 2000? or whenever they first came out. That driver remains on the cooler to this date some 50,000 miles later.

My 6.5 is intercooled, so it doesn't have that bacon frying intake temp, and general underhood temps are a bit cooler as well. That said, I did relocate it to the fenderwell mount as pictured in my Tech Tips to remove it from vibration, and hot soak at shutdown.

Low_Bridge
07-21-2004, 18:04
My Heatsink's arrived today & the new FSD came the other day. I'll post a pic of what I found. The last thing to tackle is the harness and deciding on a temp gauge. :D

Low_Bridge
07-22-2004, 15:05
I called Southern Power Systems in Tampa & picked up a #5 Calibration resister for $17.XX including the Governer's cut. As well as length of 14 Gauge 7 wire from a boating warehouse to make the extention to run it to?

Wow now it's time to start thrashing. I'd rather do that than anything else but I'd better pay the bills & get some work done. The sooner I get my wife & kids out of the Jetta & back in the Burb the safer it will be for all. Even the Jetta as my wife is a Curbanator. :(