PDA

View Full Version : Low fuel warning

Grizz272
05-18-2003, 23:02
Coming home yesterday from a Blackpowder rendezvous I notice the fuel gage was touching the red empty line. I put in 22.67 gallons since I only have a 26 gallon tank I was lower that I want to be. Just when does the low fuel warning light come on?
12K miles runs great and I am getting 19mpg back and forth to work. Just gotta love this Beast!!! :D

FirstDiesel
05-19-2003, 04:28
The only time mine has come on I put about 28 gallons in the 34 gallon tank. Since listening to JK about the fuel system and it cooling the ECU etc I no longer run less than 1/4 tank if I can help it.

redneckcowdoctor
05-19-2003, 04:37
My low fuel light on average comes on at around 4 gallons left (SB 26 gal. tank)

The fuel gauge system is pretty poorly designed. My truck can show just under 1/4 tank when I shut it off. Then a few minutes later when I restart the low fuel light is on and it will be in the red. Other times the low fuel light is on for some miles and I will go up a steep hill and now I suddenly have 1/8 tank more fuel and the light stays off for 20 miles! And as many have observed the gauge is not linear; 2/3+ of your fuel is in the top 1/2 of the tank. Chevy's have always been like that. Jeff