PDA

View Full Version : Racor Filters Rule..............!

56Nomad
08-22-2003, 09:41
Parker infiltrates vehicles

The evolution in diesel-engine design from mechanical to electronic
fuel-injection systems requires a high level of filtration as well as consistent
fuel pressure and fuel delivery regardless of engine speed. To
address the requirements of high-pressure fuel-injection systems,
Parker Hannifin Corp.'s Racor Division has developed and patented
the RFCM, a fuel-conditioning module.

The RFCM is a high-efficiency fuel filter/water separator that can be
specified with a broad range of options including a roller-cell
electric fuel pump, fuel pressure and thermal control module, fuel
heater, and vacuum indicator to monitor element restriction. An
electronic water-in-fuel sensor is standard. A specially engineered
version of the RFCM will be installed on Ford diesel vehicles
beginning next year. Racor is also currently shipping versions of
the RFCM to DaimlerChrysler for its diesel engines.

https://shop.sae.org/automag/techbriefs/09-2001

hoot
08-22-2003, 09:52
http://www.parker.com/racor/cat/english/images/fuel_cond/fuel_cond_pop.jpg

From http://www.parker.com/parkersql/default.asp?type=2&id=27

chuntag95
08-22-2003, 09:58
It looks like a great setup but it cost twice what my Mega plus liftpump and 3rd filter did. a64 and I found it and all was good until I asked the price. :eek:

SoCalDMAX
08-22-2003, 11:00
Ridiculous. Absurd. Totally unnecessary. Too expensive. Added complexity with switches, power, a fuel pump that can fail... need I go on?
:rolleyes: Where's that darn sarcasm smiley??

Racor rules, huh? looks like a copy of the Stanadyne FM100 to me. And you know what they say about imitation...

I also have reservations about the element size and how far one has to screw it in to seat it. I don't like o-rings on screw-on elements. I prefer the element stay stationary and a 1/4 turn locking ring positively snap it into position. Less chance of ring damage and no question as to how tight to screw it on.

If it costs over $149, somebody's gettin' pumped...

Have they announced who will be mfg the elements for them? Until we get uncontaminated results back from a lab,, I'll be a little reserved about the "Ruling" part. :D :D

Regards, Steve

[ 08-22-2003, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: SoCalDMAX ]

hoot
08-22-2003, 11:36
It's really not a very new product I don't think. I've seen it for a while on the Racor site. Probably prohibitively expensive. The news is Ford and Dodge will be using them as standard.

GM boys have to come up with their own contraptions. That's what I would define as ridiculous and absurd. :D

I've got a sample kit on my nightstand right now. I want to wait till I put new filters in and put a few hundred miles on them so my samples are similar to the others.

SoCalDMAX
08-22-2003, 11:41
What's it doing on the nightstand?

OK, Just make sure the fuel sample and the "other" sample each go to the right lab. ;)

Regards, Steve

hoot
08-22-2003, 11:54
I just want to try and follow the same procedure mdrag and others followed. My first sample I did in haste. I don't expect the results to be as good as the big filters but hey...

IF BROKER..........

sdaver
08-22-2003, 11:55
did you have to sleep on the thought of it or are you just letting your subconscieous design the fittings for you :D dave

56Nomad
08-22-2003, 12:42
I don't expect the results to be as good as the big filters but hey... oh contraire.....

I would think that a big tall CAT 2 micron filter vs a small CAT 2 micron filter
should give the same results as they both have the same filter medium. Same
would be true for the Racor tall vs small 2 micron filter if analysed.

The benefit of a big filter would be longevity........ I don't think big filters work better than the shorties (comparing apples to apples).

The real question is which filter brand and set up most
effectively filters our fuel for our engines. That's is an ongoing project.......
:rolleyes:

[ 08-22-2003, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: 56Nomad ]

BROKERS
08-22-2003, 12:49
56Nomad,very interessting.I wonder if Gm will get on the same band wagon as Ford & Dodge?

Oh well, have a nice weekend boys,i'm off to Nantucket.Hoot i just fueled the boat up and i was ....................................?

SoCalDMAX
08-22-2003, 12:51
56Nomad,

I agree, all else being equal. 2 pressurized filters of exactly the same media, both are fully wetted and filtering to the same level, provided the smaller one is in fact large enough. The difference would appear to be change intervals since there is simply more surface area in the larger element.

Brokers,

Call him, he's probably already got his Speedos and camera in the truck... :eek:

Regards, Steve

sdaver
08-22-2003, 14:12
I once new a girl from nantucket :D

SoCalDMAX
08-22-2003, 15:05
OUCH!!

That's gonna leave a mark! ;)

svpdiesel
08-22-2003, 15:08
HB, the results so far only prove that Racor is first at passing gas, and last at filtering. You might also notice that the above mentioned unit has a lift pump in it... :D

Most of us actually expect the Racor results to eventually look pretty similar to the cat and mega. With the exception of the lousy job the OEM does.

imported_
08-22-2003, 17:07
Was referring to the post-OEM RACORS, no one has a lift pump on those do they?

Aren't you jumping to the conclusion that the post-OEM RACORS pass more gas than the post-OEM MEGA and CAT? Maybe the post-OEM RACORS do not create as much gas and do not need to pass any gas.

Like Pinehill says, maybe the smaller sized RACORS don't give the heated fuel enough "residence" time in the smaller RACORS to outgas like it could be doing in the bigger post-OEM filters.

Meanwhile there are no air/stalling problems at all that I have seen reported here using the big filters, no lift pumps/check valves, in the pre-OEM position filtering cooler fuel.

What other factors besides fuels is making the post-OEM installation of these filters cause stalling problems when the same filter, pre-OEM does not?

a bear
08-22-2003, 19:23
The void and outlet location. In other words the head design. A post OEM sees a lot more vac than pre OEM. After the fuel rises above the plane of the fuel level in the tank vac increases at a quicker rate. Also the further to the front of the vehicle the stronger the drop in pressure which is caused by inertia.

Hoot,
With the Dremel running @ 30K RPM's I found the filter is really stable while cutting. Looks like poor adhesion to me. The plate came off real clean.

gene smith
08-22-2003, 20:16
aint be on here very long and been trying to make up my own mind what filter system i want to use, only thang i aint red about is how much pressure i can put on the suction pump and be safe. o yea i be from okie ville so dont laugh at my spellin
Geno

Kennedy
08-22-2003, 20:40
Those who have been paying attention read no further.

The outgassing seems to be occurring in the lines and/or EDU as the fuel crosses the engine and is heated. It then goes to the filters where it passes through. I've seen this in my clear line testing.

While the filter media of an added filter MAY have an affect on this outgassing by imposing increased restriction, the ones with the rear mounted filters would then have the largest volume of fuel subjected to the maximum pressure drop.

The reason my filter catches so much air is the head design as abear stated. The air/gas simply will rise to the top. The reason some have stalls at startup is loss of prime due to volume of air in the filter, location of the filter, and likely mechanical conditions of the fuel system.

Looks like I may need to resort to drawings...

Racor
09-26-2003, 10:28
This product is all that it says it is.

The transfer pump inside was co-developed with Racor and is very durable. We have units running in our lab that are at 3.6 million on/off priming cycles with no failures.

The pump has to be protected, and that protection might as well come from a quality pre-filter, which is a good idea anyway.

Fuel systems that are sensitive to air and vapor benefit from this unit.

gene smith
09-26-2003, 17:07
Nomad
Not trying to be derogatory and if I am out of line I am sorry, But if Racor rules why are we going through all of the problems and costs with our fuel systems. (OEM-RACOR?) We purchased there problems know they are selling us a fix, not me I am going with the guys that have put all the hours into a fix for us and my thanks to these that have taken the time to prove there products. Again I am sorry if I pi$$ed anyone off but this is how I feel.

Geno

roegs
09-26-2003, 17:57
Nomad
Not trying to be derogatory and if I am out of line I am sorry, But if Racor rules why are we going through all of the problems and costs with our fuel systems. (OEM-RACOR?) We purchased there problems know they are selling us a fix, not me I am going with the guys that have put all the hours into a fix for us and my thanks to these that have taken the time to prove there products. Again I am sorry if I pi$$ed anyone off but this is how I feel.

Geno
I'm not sure that its fair to say that Racor is at fault. They did what they were asked to by both DMAX and GM. As Racor notes above, there are a number of design considerations when making a product for a company such as GM.

One of the issues I thought was interesting was crash testing, which is probably a good thing to keep in mind as we look at various locations for mounting extra filters.