PDA

View Full Version : '96 TD K3500 Stalling/No start

bigmikestud
11-04-2004, 20:19
Truck started stalling after gas pedal replaced. Gas pedal replaced because of stalling. Before, it would die and then restart with no problem. Now it dies and basically won't drive.

Let's start with the first problem I fixed 8 months ago. New FSD/Cooler
New gas pedal assembly 2 weeks ago
(Ran like a striped ass ape)
4-5 times it did the stall/hard start. Yesterday while driving in the hood, it stalled (heavy rains all day) and only started after WD-40 to the intake (at the small hose before turbo). It ran several blocks and did the same deal. Basically, it won't start and acts like a gasser with the coil unhooked. I let it sit in my customers repair garage overnight and came back with OPS and lift pump I scored when I got the gas pedal. Installed them and it started, idled for however long we let it. Also started each time we wanted it too. Go for a test drive and 10 blocks more into the hood, shazam, same problem. Now, it, my trailer and $100.00 later it sits in my driveway. It doesn't act like the FSD or at least the symtoms were quite different. Battery cables have been cleaned and tightened, batteries are new and check out on the Midtronics tester. New fuel filter, drained fuel many times from the pepcock-sp. I haven't tightened the FSD Kep nuts yet since I can't find the Torx I bought for that, but will. Other non-related incidentals: New harmonic balancer, new harmonic balancer pulley.

I'm worn out and need some love here, anyone?

bigmikestud
11-05-2004, 03:44
Help! See above.

tom.mcinerney
11-05-2004, 07:19
Mike try http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=007467 .
Can do a search of stalling/starting problems.

Need be methodical--with accumulated mileage, may need varied maintenance. Is this FIP original unit??
The OPS/LP may run off same circuit as FSD (not sure your year). Suggest monitor LP press.
Good that you seem to have found that no fuel is cause start prob. See if this related to fuel feed, or FSD triggering (bad elect feed connection) or failed FSD firing.
Common for replacement FSDs to fail in months.
Have tried the water-pour treatment/test for a worn FIP?
Again, "search" wll yield lots results for 'stalling'.