PDA

View Full Version : Oil Consumption

bgaiche
01-29-2006, 17:40
I have a 04 Duramax/Allison 2500HD.At my last oil change 30,000 miles my dipstick showed only a trace of oil on the end. I changed the filter and topped of at 25,0000. Just recently got back from Colorado and 3,500 miles later and the oil is down better than a quart. This has been the case ever sence I have had the truck. At times I can see blue smoke when ideling. A year ago at Grand Lake Colorado I noticed it smoking a lot driving around town. I can also smell burned oil when its ideling. I would like some feed back on this if any of you have had this same thing and what do you think I should do about it. The truck runs real well.Your input is greatly appreciated.

Tough Guy
01-29-2006, 19:29
I am not sure I understand your post...You changed the oil after 30,000 miles or thats how many miles are on the truck? :confused:

Generally speaking after 4-6000 miles you could be a quart low depending on how the truck was used...I use Rotella T 5w-40 synthetic and thats usually the case for me.

Blue smoke is a bad sign, have you pulled the oil filler cap at idle to check for blow-by? If it *puffs* smoke out the filler cap while idling you could have excessive cylinder wear *if* you aren't changing the filter/oil soon enough.

Chris

silverback
01-30-2006, 21:42
Skunky,
My 04 with 26K plus miles has never burned a drop. Better get it checked out.
-KL

bgaiche
01-31-2006, 17:52
I had 30,000 when I changed it. It has 33,375 now. I use Rotella 15-40.I change the oil at 10,000 for example, and then change the filter at 5,000 and top of. I havent ever pulled much except my 21 foot Bass boat. I havent even done that sence the first of November 05. Made the trip to Colorado and didnt pull anything except my wifes heavy purse. Well I just went out and checked the dipstick and engine hot and it shows to be full.Mabe I am over acting on this, but I was concerned because when I did check it last time when I did change at 30,000 it didnt hardly show on the dipstick. I do appreciate your responce on this and I will continue to monitor this. If I feel that the oil drops more than what I feel compfortable with I will talk to the service manager about it. Thanks again

LanduytG
02-01-2006, 02:07
My LLY has 54K on the clock and will use a quart in 5K if I'm not towing. If towing it will not use any at all. I would never worry about a in 3-5K. You might try changing oil brands. Rotel is one of the most volital oils. If you want to use dino try Delo 400 and I bet you will see less usage.

Greg