PDA

View Full Version : Injector problems -vs- fuel additive usage?

hoot
05-19-2003, 07:32
This topic is a poll on who has had injector problems and are you using additive and if so, what kind.

Let's get a feel to see if additives are making a difference.

truck_n
05-19-2003, 07:49
At 168,000 miles, I have never used an additive. I had blue smoke at idle at 115,000 miles, and it's now reoccuring. In fact, I am taking it in today!I will be using and additive from now on.

chuntag95
05-19-2003, 08:08
I had 2 injectors replaced at 22K. I have used Stanadyne + Amsoil Cetane Boost since around 15K.

DURA-MAX3
05-19-2003, 08:17
I have used Howe's on occation, but not regularly. I have had no injector problems. I am hoping that the 2 micron cat filter will help with that...

sdaver
05-19-2003, 08:17
I use a Kennedy cocktail..........50% fppf cetane improver and 50%fppf total power........I use about 6 oz per tank.......39k.......this cocktail for the last 21k.........no injector problems to date.........knock on wood :D dave

Black Dog
05-19-2003, 09:31
No additives, no problems at 48,000.

Rebel_Horseman
05-19-2003, 09:42
My rig's in the shop right now getting the injectors replaced. My truck has 68,000 miles on it and I bought it 6 months ago with 41,000 on it. I have used Stanadyne once and use Lucas Fuel System Treatment that you buy at the truckstops regularly. Usually I use it every other fill up.

My room mate has 27,000 on his and he just had his HP pump and 3 injectors replaced. He hasn't used any treatmentsas far as I know. The dealer he brought his truck to told him that there have been "alot" of problems with these trucks having failing injectors between 60 & 70,000 miles.

Reb [><]

Captain Mal
05-19-2003, 19:38
Hoot,

I'm learning to hate my truck because of fuel injector/pump/rail problems. It's down again with a trailer stuck behind it while I bummed a ride 70 miles back to the house.

Usually use injector cleaner, Howes. First injector went around 120,000. Second injector went just a couple of thousand later. Today I spit fuel all over the exhaust manifold and lost fuel pressure.

Found a dealer near an exit and he fixed the leak. The truck pulled about two miles and broke down again. Limped back to this dealer where the bank of injectors on the other side are returning too much fuel to the tank. No fuel pressure there so it looks like more leaks, injectors or pump.

Man, this damm truck is costing me thousands of dollars in repairs and weeks of down time. Life in motels while 'parts are ordered' and pulling rigs off the road on interstate highways is getting old. All the injector cleaner in the world cannot cure a "Botched Bosch" system.

I have lost faith in the reliability of the entire system.

Captain Mal

hoot
05-19-2003, 19:58
Captain Mal,

How does it leak outside the engine? Bad fittings? Cracked parts?

Captain Mal
05-19-2003, 20:28
Hoot,

The fuel problem during the first breakdown today ( I had two separate breakdowns just today ) was the number 5 injector line spitting fuel at the compression fitting on top of the valve cover. It soaked the fuel filter and went onto the manifold causing the smoke. Limp mode then might have been related to the problems on the other side of the engine, but the Tech 2 showed only one problem.

This dealer just tightened down the compression fitting and all seemed well. Hooked the trailer back up and made about two miles. Limp mode again. That fitting tightened on #5 is dry. The Tech 2 shows problems in the pressure system on the even numbered bank of cylinders now. Way too much fuel is returning to the tank. My other injector failures were just real smokey at idle. This is a different set of symptoms.

Breakdowns 3 and 4 both came today only a few miles apart unless the current pressure problems caused the limp mode and the external fuel leak just happened to be there at the same time.

All this was within 70 miles of my house in Pa. My wife came and picked me up so I'm at the house here instead of in motel this time.

A friend of mine just gave me a ride in his new Cummings. That engine is sure quiet and powerful compared to last years' model. Could it be ???

Naw, with my luck I would get their lemon also.

Maverick
05-19-2003, 20:44
55,000 on the 2500HD....no problems so far. Using Rotella DFA
122,000 on the 3500. Had #1 injector replaced at 95,000. Started using Stanadyne then switched to Rotella DFA. All is well so far. Never used additive before the failure.

hoot
05-19-2003, 21:07
Captain Mal,

It almost sounds like your pressure is too high and is destroying the system. Could very well be the HP pump FPRV (fuel pressure relief valve) only because of the external leak.

I'm only taking pot shots at it. I found this topic on injector failure...
http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=005512&p=

george morrison
05-20-2003, 07:02
Let's not forget that all the fuel additive in the world will not correct dirt contaminated diesel fuel. The secondary fuel filtration project was begun as the result of the extensive studies performed indicating that the #1 cause of fuel injector/pump failures/problems is dirt.
Thus, the use or non-use of diesel fuel additive may well not have any direct affect on injector replacement issues for folks with high levels of dirt or free water presence in their purchased diesel fuel.
Some diesel fuel additives may minimize potential damage from free water, however, no diesel fuel conditioner is going to change an ISO contaminant rating of 21/19/17 to 15/13/10.
Many diesel fuel conditioners can keep injectors clean and in optimum operating condition, eliminate system corrosion, minimize free water, eliminate the possibility of microbial growth, raise cetane number significantly, thus increasing fuel mileage... So there are real and obvious advantages using fuel additives, which may or may not relate to some fuel injector issues.
George

[ 05-20-2003: Message edited by: george morrison ]</p>

Idle_Chatter
05-20-2003, 07:27
Been using additive since 4,000 miles - now at 54,000 without a problem. Started with Opti-Lube additive, been using FPPF Total Power continuously since. I add 2 oz to my 26 gallon OEM tank and 3 oz to my 43 gallon aux tank on each fillup. I add one additional oz to those numbers in the Winter. Been good for me!

Captain Mal
05-20-2003, 10:03
Hoot,

Thanks for the idea and article reference on the pressure regulator and the injector pump. I discussed this web site and that information with the service manager of the dealer where the truck is.

That manager had just called me. #2 injector is, according to them, the problem. Another day for the injector to come in, so by Thursday I'll be heading back out toward California with that trailer and the potential for another mis-adventure.

For me, injector #'s 2,3 and 5 have been replaced and the line to #5 is the one that also sprung the leak. Each incident has been separate and together total to a lot of money spent on repairs and much down time.

There are still many more fuel components in there that have not been trouble ......yet.

Wanna' ride 'shotgun' with me?

JEBar
05-20-2003, 11:35
35,000+ with Howe's added every tank ... no problems to date ... Jim

chuntag95
05-20-2003, 12:37
Hoot,
Are we asking the wrong question? Should the question be "Who has seen injector issues with a second filter installed?" Might be too early to tell, but I think Broker always put one on and he does pretty good with injectors. I know that is part of what pushed me to add $200 to protect $4200.

Kennedy
05-20-2003, 13:07
I've been running additive since day 1. From what I have seen from the core injectors that I attempted to "hop up" the nozzles are taking a beating and allowing excessive return fuel. This kinda goes along the lines of what George has been saying all along, and what spurred me into the additional filtration quest. The internal clearances of the nozzle assy are VERY tight as they need to keep the majority of the fuel shot heading out the spray holes while allowing a metered amount to pass for lubrication and cooling. This clearance is being eroded reducing the amount of fuel that is delivered and increasing the amount that is returned to the tank.

This is the MAJOR reason that I do not have, nor recommend performance injectors unless built with NEW nozzles and flow tested prior to installation. Once I have a set done I will send in my fully working cores and have them tested prior to modification...