PDA

View Full Version : New truck stop=cleaner fuel?

SPICER
08-22-2003, 12:54
I have a brand new gas station in my neighborhood with a large diesel depot. It is so new that the diesel pumps are'nt even flowing yet. I was snooping around while the pumps were being worked on and looked inside. They are equipped with Cim-Tek hydrosorb II water and particulate 30 micron nominal filters about the size of our OE fuel filters. I expect this to be a pretty high volume location because of the sattelite pumps and easy truck access. It is also the only depot of its size in the area.

My question is, do I want to avoid a new location for a while to let the tanks flush out a few times?

Also, this is a Marathon station. I have searched the web to get any information on the differences between one brand of diesel vs. another. There is little to be found....So far the only brands that make any claims are Amoco Premier and a product called "Diesel Gold" which is a standard diesel with an additive package. Both are available in my area but neither is a very high volume pump. Amoco Premier has the grandest claims, and I have used it a lot, but I percieve no mileage benefits or performance benefits from this supposedly high cetane, super refined fuel. Amoco premier also does not blend in the winter because the additives take care of gelling. Any thoughts? From my search on the web it seems that most retailers of diesel get there fuel from the same giant storage tanks, regardless of the brand. Is this likely the case? THANKS! SPICER. smile.gif

rtquig
08-23-2003, 14:51
I like to fuel up in a station that does a lot of volume. There are four stations in town that sell diesel, but I use the local brand where there is alway's in line to get diesel when I go there. From what I understand, Texaco is supposed to have the best, but I have used it a couple of times and didn't notice any better mileage or smoother engine. I have probably put 95% of my fuel in from the same station in town, and when I travel I make sure I have an additive with me.

SPICER
08-23-2003, 19:13
Finally a reply, thanks. We do not have Texaco stations in the midwest. I agree on the high volume theory, but you can still never be sure of what you are getting unless you have your own storage tank. Since I have been seeing no benefit from the "Premier Diesel" I was considering going to a higher volume depot. I may go back to Premier in the winter since it is not blended with #1 but uses an additive to prevent gelling....SPICER

dmaxalliTech
08-23-2003, 22:11
I suppose a few cycles wouldnt hurt the new tanks to get rid of any floaters that could be in there. But if they are filtering, that might catch it. As far as differences in fuel go, We have Meijers stores around here and at their stations, the diesel uses a premium additive package from Schaeffers. I have heard that there is a differnce and some notice increased economy, I have heard from Schaeffers that the additive package is very good and its not a cheap alternative, its good stuff...

Dinkie Diesel
08-23-2003, 22:29
I buy from QuickTrip truck stop mostly and add my own Schaeffer Diesel Treat 137-ND. I like their additive and 15w-40 oil. They claim it increases lubricity 30-57% and makes #2 a premium fuel and increases the cetane spec by 4 numbers. I have always heard that Phillips 66 has good diesel but nothing to support that other than words. A buddy of mine always refers to the good diesel as "Thick and Chewey" making reference to #1 being thin, #2 being a bit heavier/thicker and home heating fuel is the best/thickest. I don't know if there's any merit to his philosophy but I think there is increasinly more BTU in #2 than #1 and even more yet in home fuel than #2. Don't misunderstand, he doesn't use home fuel just makes reference to it. I guess in order it goes something like - Jet fuel, kerosene, #1, #2, #2 premium, and then home fuel?

Trip
08-24-2003, 04:59
I would wait and let things get into a normal flow. Unless someone knows how the tanks are prepped and cleaned prior to sticking them into the ground, it wouldn't hurt anything to wait a bit.

Hoppy1942
08-24-2003, 15:31
I wouldn't hesitate to buy the very first fill up from a new station. The quality of new tanks is outstanding and they make sure all connection pipes are flushed and cleaned before opening. As other folks have indicated, over time the most important consideration is using a high volume outlet. This reduces the chance of water and insures proper formulations for the temperature. While there a differences in additive packages (especially for gasoline) all major brands are certainly satisfactory. All oil companies have exchange agreements with other companies (refiners) so in a given geographic area all product, regardless of brand, may (not always) come from the same refinery.

koolgt
08-24-2003, 16:53
well if u guys want the best diesel for your truck BP is the way to go...that is what the duramax was built to run on, they run BP oil, as well as fuel from the plant on day 1:)

SPICER
08-25-2003, 09:47
koolgt, I am all ears....what makes BP differnt? I have a BP station that sells quite a bit of diesel. BP bought Amoco, and Amoco makes Amoco Premier, but BP is not premier unless it says specifically. The Premier Amoco in my area is still an Amoco station, but will soon be a BP. At that time they say they will still have the Premier. (BP advertises "Amoco Fuels"). I would not even question using the Premier if it was a high volume pump, but it's not and I have seen no performance or mileage benefits. Maybe the benefits are unseen, but without testing the fuel I don't know. SPICER

HD-Nate
08-25-2003, 10:41
I would not hesitate buying fuel from a

DURA-MAX3
08-25-2003, 12:12
Flying J is a good place to fuel, generally the lowest price around and it is Conoco fuel. Used it all the time in my big rigs...