PDA

View Full Version : My engine has returned from Avants

Cowracer
06-20-2005, 08:44
The warehouse manager here at work called to say he has a big green lump of metal sitting in his way on the dock. :D I practically flew down to the dock to check out my new mill.

First impression is very favorable. The shipping skid is very beefy and well done (a far site better than what I shipped it down to them on). Everything looks present and correct, all the ports are taped over.

The Detroit 71 series alpine green paint really looks at home on this engine. I am so glad I had them paint it this color. Maybe I can get it in this weekend.

Tim

john8662
06-20-2005, 09:26
Man... I'm so Jealous

So, they were able to rebuild your original engine? If so thats great, because you know that the engine is "a seasoned" engine, if it hasn't cracked then it's one of the better ones.

humding
06-20-2005, 13:25
Cowracer, I have no doubt you will be happy with the rebuild. I have my Avant customised engine running for the last 5 or 6 weeks. I am extremely pleased with it and I reckon "seat of the pants" wise it is a good 50-60 HP better than the last one. I agree the packing was also very good especially as it had to travel across the Atlantic to get to me

Bigg R
06-20-2005, 13:32
My brother is expecting his new Avant engine any time! I can't wait to see how it stacks up against my mildly modified 6.5. He ordered the 18:1,ceramic coated pistons,gear drive,stud girdle,and whatever else you can get with their custom engine!! I'm probably more excited than he is!!!!

Bigg R

gmenor
06-20-2005, 16:00
Cowracer,
If you don't mind me asking what was the official damage to your wallet? And the same question goes out to Bigg R.

Bigg R
06-20-2005, 17:35
I think he said it was right at $5000 including the $600 it cost to ship to Indiana! These were the options he ordered:
Balanced Rotating Assembly
18:1 w/Ceramic Coated Piston Crowns
Phazer Gear drive
Stud Girdle
Marine High Flow Injectors
New 130gph Water pump
This was a complete engine based on a seasoned crack-free -599 block!
We'll see how she runs in a week or so!!!!

Cowracer
06-21-2005, 03:45
Mine was $4419 dock-to-dock. It was a rebuild of my original engine with 18:1 ceramic coated pistons, balanced, stud girdle and freight. (price was $3995 before freight)

I bought a Phazer from Kennedy and had it shipped to them, they put it in no extra charge. And I got the '97 cooling mod sitting in a box ready to bolt on.

Oh, dont forget the custom paint job (priceless) :D

Tim

JoeyD
06-21-2005, 05:02
is it in yet?

Cowracer
06-21-2005, 05:18
Im fast Joey, but not that fast...

No, I hope to start dropping it in at 8 am saturday. I should have all the bolt on stuff on it by then.

Tim

jspringator
06-21-2005, 06:27
How much more for splayed mains?

TJ Moose
06-21-2005, 06:40
Is this called an Avants engine because "Ah Vants One...."?
Sorry - couldn't resist. Happy for ya Cowracer!

javadog
06-21-2005, 07:12
How long did it take them to rebuild your engine?
How much money did they want up front?
What exactly is port matching and did you talk about that? Are you using the stock air intake setup and turbo or are you doing something nore interesting?
Can you put up some pictures of your new baby on the pallet and during the install process? I may be doing the same thing next year. Thanks

Cowracer
06-21-2005, 08:45
Originally posted by Steve Rathburn:
How long did it take them to rebuild your engine?
How much money did they want up front?
What exactly is port matching and did you talk about that? Are you using the stock air intake setup and turbo or are you doing something nore interesting?
Can you put up some pictures of your new baby on the pallet and during the install process? I may be doing the same thing next year. Thanks Lotta questions here, lets go through them one by one...

1) They quoted about 10-14 days, but it turned into more like 4 weeks. Apparently they had some supplier issues. But be aware that I told them that I was more interested in "done right" than "done fast"

2) I didn't pay a dime until it was ready to ship back. I basically shipped my motor down for rebuild. I called them and they set up to have the engine picked up when I was ready to send it down. The arrainged all the shipping.

3) Port matching is the process of altering the intake so the outlet of the intake perfectly matches the inlet of the head. Yes we discussed it, and in this (reletevly) low-revving application, I didn't think the benefits were worth the cost.

4) For right now, I am using the stock turbo and plate style filter/airbox combo with the fender snorkle out. I may alter this somewhat in the future.

5) yes, I am taking pictures.

Tim

john8662
06-21-2005, 12:04
Tim,

I noticed you saying you're going to re-use your panel air filter. While your replacing the engine, do yourself a favor and "upgrade" to the 97+ round air filter setup, saves the engine from digesting dirt.

And.. Billman has one for sale in the Classifieds section

HERE (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=19;t=000384)