PDA

View Full Version : Diesel -vs- Jet Feuel

fire22dirver
01-30-2006, 06:20
Long story short I can get my hands on as much jet fuel as I need, what would happen if I would use jet fuel in my D-Max? Is it even possible?

DmaxMaverick
01-30-2006, 07:22
Nothing at all wrong with it. I know several folks that have been doing for years in older Diesels and late models of all makes. Just be sure to use a good lubricant additive at full strength. An additive with a cetane booster would be good as well. Kerosene has less energy than straight #2. If I had access to it, I'd be doing the same.

Expect a little drop in economy. It's normal.

Jim Brzozowski
01-30-2006, 10:02
My Nephew owns his own airplane service business and he says when he works on private planes he has to drain the fuel and the guys that work for him that have diesel trucks practically fight over who gets to use it this time. Of course its not that much, but at least he doesn't have to pay to dispose of it.

Tutts
01-30-2006, 16:10
Check out the thread from the site below, called ruby red, page 2 somewhere, that speaks about this issue. I posted some info there direct from GM about this. Have a read and see what you think. Basically, I agree that there should be no problem, just a slight drop in power and economy.

http://www.gm-diesel.com/

fire22dirver
01-31-2006, 07:36
thanks for the link Tutts, alot of good info there.

markrinker
01-31-2006, 10:01
My dad used to buy a 55gallon drum of 'jet fuel' for the winter and blend it with #2 diesel. His thought was that it helped with cold weather starts and resisted gelling.

DmaxMaverick
02-01-2006, 02:27
Originally posted by Mark Rinker:
My dad used to buy a 55gallon drum of 'jet fuel' for the winter and blend it with #2 diesel. His thought was that it helped with cold weather starts and resisted gelling. That's no different (realistically) than what you get with northern winter blend. Kerosene and #1 are so close, you'd need a chemist to tell the difference. Still, any mix with #2 (or straight, for that matter) should be used with a lube additive.