PDA

View Full Version : timing defeat

ndamico
05-19-2003, 14:47
Does anyone know which wire needs to be defeated on a piggyback module to prevent the extra timing from being added?

I know someone has mentioned "looping out" the timing. i've done this on BMW's but no Dmax's.. i'm presuming i just alter my harness to not allow the box to intercept a certain wire that modifies the timing waveform.

i'm doing this to my Banks ottomind, but i would guess it would use the same wire as a juice or other similar-type box..

thanks!

[ 05-19-2003: Message edited by: ndamico ]</p>

Cowboy_120
05-20-2003, 06:50
Can I ask why you are doing it? I am about to install the Banks Ottomind myself in a couple of weeks. Is this to prevent the ottomind from adusting the timing to tone down the power (basically to disable the built in safety mechanism)?

Thanks

a64pilot
05-20-2003, 06:56
ndamico,
If you find out how it can be done will you please post how. I don't think the advanced timing is worth it. I know that I would get a little more smoke without it, but I don't think it would be much and IMHO there isn't much of a power or economy gain from advancing the timing. Maybe 1 mpg or 10% power or something like that.

mackin
05-20-2003, 14:43
Watch your EGT'S if you do ....

Mac :eek:

king D
05-20-2003, 19:36
i used to have written down on the juice but i cant find it and i dont remember well enough to swear but i think it was ....ah...hell i wont even guess.edge prob wont tell you but they will tell the person you bought the chip from and that person could tell you.on a vann aakeen you cut the grey black wire and loop it to the grey wire leaving the box out of the loop and thus the timing is left out.i am syre jk would know the procedure on the juice if you cant findout email me kingrooked aol.com i know where to find out,,,the prob is with all the boxes with harnesses i have used they alll have different color wires and i never paid attention but i am sure it is the same wire.call banks and ask them when i get a chance i willl look and count wires on my harness...jess

ndamico
05-20-2003, 19:41
I'm actually interested in doing it for stacking reasons with my predator. I know they both add timing and i don't much care for that. right now i run the predator on stock tune, with just tire size adjustment. they haven't gotten back to me on a custom predator tune, which would be ideal by far and so much easier. so, i'm only left with the option of keeping my predator's timing advance and defeating the one on my banks.

since all our trucks share the same wiring harness, i think its safe to say that each of them advances the timing with the same wire. if someone can tell me which pin on which connector (of the big 2) then i'll be set.

i'm going to crack into my Helm manual, but i'm not sure it will tell me..hopefully it does! if anyone else finds out please post or email me. i've already sent in an email to Banks, and will post results if i get a reply.

JK - if you know, please share the knowledge! :D :D :D

Nick

[ 05-20-2003: Message edited by: ndamico ]</p>

a64pilot
05-21-2003, 07:21
mackin says,
"Watch your EGT'S if you do"
I'll bet lunch that without increased timing they'll be lower.

CPMac632
05-21-2003, 07:37
a64pilot your wrong I have seen considerably higher egt's without timing. In certain conditions it will increase egt.

Kennedy
05-21-2003, 07:48
Yes, watch your EGT's with reduced timing.

Once again, the stock Allison will suffer if you stack. Maybe not in the short term, but long term definitely.

400+ RWHP is available from a single box, but you won't see it released because we don't have the trans. to hold it yet...

a64pilot
05-21-2003, 08:49
CPMac632,
Well I guess I owe somebody lunch
;)

ndamico
05-21-2003, 09:32
I'll only be doing the timing defeat when i'm stacking, therefoe i will still have timing added by the predator.

JK- i presume you aren't giving up the wiring info then?

:confused:

king D
05-22-2003, 08:14
as far as the pred goes when set on 100 and a va seton 75 wiiht timing the egts dropped by almost 200 lower than pred alone.i will try to get the harness for the va and post which it is it should be the same the rest will be up to you to try....jess

Kennedy
05-22-2003, 08:40
:rolleyes: Not really.

Maybe ask Gale Banks. ;)

If Edge does not want to disclose this information, I will not do so. Besides, Edge already has a "timingless" version...

[ 05-22-2003: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

ndamico
05-22-2003, 11:59
king d,

thanks for looking. i'll keep trying to find out as well!

TST Tech
05-22-2003, 16:20
Believe or not guys, but with just timing advance alone we can add 23 h.p and 47 torque to the rear wheels of our DuraMaxes. They respond very to this, and the e.g.ts were reduced by about 80 degrees while putting out the same h.p. to the rear wheels. However, to much advance does hurt power in the long run. Keep on truckin! Greg

ndamico
05-22-2003, 18:00
i guess my main concern is will the timing addition of both items (banks ottomind which changes it up the 9* max, and the predator) hurt me?

king D
05-23-2003, 04:28
ndamico i checked on the loop out procedure for the juice and i was asked to not share that info so out of respect for the seller who told me i will comply as for as the ottomind if i understand youy there are 9 power levels. you could always try stacking the pred with the mind and keep adding mind power levels until egts get hot you get sputtering,or rattle from the engine.in most cases i have found for my truck when stacking thata medium stacker withtiming is better than a full power stacker w/o timing.a va pressure box being the lone exception.....jess

ndamico
05-23-2003, 11:16
king d,

the ottomind is not adjustable, so i'm afraid i'm stuck. so you were asked to not give out the info? that's funny, but thanks for trying anyways. i understand you don't want to upset certain individuals. i guess didn't realize this was the holy grail of piggyback computer-info.

I just love it when someone makes you figure out something yourself. knowledge is power. i guess

:confused:

oyazi
05-23-2003, 15:30
Nick ~ obviously. Look at that huge wall China had built to protect their knowlege. :rolleyes: :D ;) smile.gif

ndamico
05-23-2003, 16:49
Yup, but remember the Berlin wall? ;)