PDA

View Full Version : Lower MPG w/ additive

DinoMax
08-22-2003, 15:53
I have read so much about "dirty" fuel causing injector problems, that I statrted using a fuel supplement (performance plus brand). Have run 3 tanks w/ additive so far, and my mileage has dropped from 14 to 12.8 :( Has any one else experienced this? I always get my fuel from same place. Am not doing anything different than before (except the additive), so what gives? I just changed my fuel filter, so that should not be an issue. What gives? Any thoughts? Thanks, DinoMax

a bear
08-22-2003, 16:29
A friend of mine told me the same thing. He was using the Rotella additive. I have been using the FPPF Total Power cut 50/50 with the cetane boost at about 6 oz a tank and get a little better mileage. I think. :eek:

conradv
08-22-2003, 16:37
I too read up on additives for months before finally deciding to use one (stanadyne).

I watched very closely over the last month, and my mileage has stayed exactly the same as before I used it.

I had heard so many stories about it making mpg better by 1 to 2 mpg I was a little suprised that it didn't change.

Runaway
08-22-2003, 18:06
I use an additive every 3 or 4 tank fulls. Yes I have noticed the mpg decrease when used.

letsgo
08-22-2003, 18:44
A lot of fuel additives do not have cetane, there is a popular one sold in Canada at most of the truck stops but has no cetane, however this manufacturer clames his product is immitated by the leading brands.

good luck

BlueOx03
08-22-2003, 18:58
That doesn't seem right. I just tanked up a little bit ago and did the math. I gained close to 3MPG! I'm sure my math is right. This is my first tank with Performance, that a good buddy o' mine hooked me up with. I dumped in almost half the bottle, a little more than needed, after the tank was full. I'll keep track this time around and see, if it stays high. Just a little side note, this is one of the only times I've made it over a week on one tank. The other times it was in the shop with fuse probs. Seems to help to me.

TJ

DinoMax
08-23-2003, 14:39
Thanks for the info, guys. The Performance Plus additive I am using says it does improve cetane #'s. Guess I'll just have to try another brand and see what happens with my MPG then. DinoMax :D :D

NealM68
08-26-2003, 19:48
I've been using Standyne performance formula in my truck and I noticed about 1 MPG increase. It could have been partly do to normal break in though I started using it at about 2000 miles.

Mark Heiken
08-26-2003, 20:32
I've been using Standyne performance also. Engine runs smoother and quiter and milage increase seems to run from .5 to 1 mpg. Makes it free to run, so any other benefits are a bonus.

imported_
08-26-2003, 20:45
I've been running the Primrose 405 recommended by George Morrison and availabe at avlube.com.

I'm at about 16,000 miles and the truck seems to be running smoother and getting stronger all the time.

This could be a result of the Primrose combined with the CAT 1R 0749 pre-OEM filtration as well, plus, still breaking-in.

Couldn't be more satisfied.

mackey_62
08-27-2003, 05:49
I also been using Stanydyne, probably about 15,000 miles now. Only using about 4 oz./fill in summer. Maybe 6-8oz./fill in winter. Depends how fussy I get pouring it out. Have never seen a huge change (within 1 mpg) either way with or without additive.

BassinRVer
08-27-2003, 06:33
I can always tell when i forget to put in the Racor Fuel conditioner in the tank. I always get better mileage when i put the conditioner in the tank.