PDA

View Full Version : Soot with Banks Stinger

Web
08-22-2003, 19:09
I recently had Banks install the Stinger package on my 03 Duramax.

The add'l power is great especially pulling my 13K 5er. However, after the install I began getting soot on the lower front of the 5er. Wipe your hand across the area and it comes away with signficant black smudges. I'm certain this wasn't happening before the change.

Yesterday I washed the front again and today I had a short easy 150 mile pull and the smudges are already there.

I'm awaiting a response from Banks but my question here is whether anyone else has experiences this level of soot output. I've been traveling since the install and now have about 2K miles of pulling with no noticable increase or decrease in soot levels, since it first started with the change. At first I thought it might be just a bad tank or two of fuel, but it's unchanged after 2K.

Any input is welcomed

Web

sdaver
08-22-2003, 19:26
similar with hot and hotter boxes....more fuel more power more smoke more soot........the california juice smokes less than others so Im told. :D dave

I have the banks 4" exhaust and I assume you do too(think it comes with the kit)you might rotate the tailpipe down some to keep it off the fiver

DMAX Daddy
08-22-2003, 23:38
Extending the tip out farther helps too.

I was sooting my bumper in the position it was supposed to be in, but after I pulled the 5 in tip out another 2 inches there is no more soot on the bumper. :D

GMC-2002-Dmax
08-23-2003, 06:55
Originally posted by Web:
I recently had Banks install the Stinger package on my 03 Duramax.

The add'l power is great especially pulling my 13K 5er. However, after the install I began getting soot on the lower front of the 5er. Wipe your hand across the area and it comes away with signficant black smudges. I'm certain this wasn't happening before the change.

Yesterday I washed the front again and today I had a short easy 150 mile pull and the smudges are already there.

I'm awaiting a response from Banks but my question here is whether anyone else has experiences this level of soot output. I've been traveling since the install and now have about 2K miles of pulling with no noticable increase or decrease in soot levels, since it first started with the change. At first I thought it might be just a bad tank or two of fuel, but it's unchanged after 2K.

Any input is welcomed

Web Get a chimney sweep brush tongue.gif tongue.gif

GMC ;)

Seriously though I used the tip and exteneded mine and have no soot problem, well I like the soot actually so I guess it's not a problem :eek:

ryeguy
08-27-2003, 15:54
Originally posted by DMAX Daddy:
Extending the tip out farther helps too.

I was sooting my bumper in the position it was supposed to be in, but after I pulled the 5 in tip out another 2 inches there is no more soot on the bumper. :D Was it any quieter? My EC/SB D/A with the Stinger kit is very loud. The the point where some people won't ride in my truck when I'm towing any more, and other bring ear muffs! Really!

--Rob