PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between GMC and Chevy 2500HD's?

McRat
08-22-2003, 23:45
Can anyone itemize diff's?

GMC-2002-Dmax
08-23-2003, 00:22
Far as I can tell, grill, hood, fenders, front bumper, interior upholstery, emblems.

Basically cosmetic things.

If you ask around the Chevy guys will say GMC's use bigger washers, I say the Chevy's get the parts GMC reject tongue.gif

I am sure I am gonna get flamed, so I zipped up my suit :eek: :D ;) tongue.gif

GMC smile.gif

SoCalDMAX
08-23-2003, 00:26
I don't know for sure, but Mac told me it meant

Gay Men's Chariot. I didn't ask how he knew... :eek:

Regards, Steve

GMC-2002-Dmax
08-23-2003, 00:43
Originally posted by SoCalDMAX:
I don't know for sure, but Mac told me it meant

Gay Men's Chariot. I didn't ask how he knew... :eek:

Regards, Steve SoCAL,

Those Gay Men's Chariots are Saab's, ask him he will tell ya straight up, has one himself tongue.gif :eek:

He has a funny name for his wife's car too.......

Lucky the suits already on, cause it's gonna get hot soon.

GMC ;)

SoCalDMAX
08-23-2003, 01:08
I'll take your word for it.

I DON'T wanna see ANY pictures!!! :eek: :D

Regards, Steve

McRat
08-23-2003, 02:40
OK, let me rephrase it:

A) Are there any options exclusive to just one?

B) Any specification differences?

C) Price differences?

D) Standard equipment differences?

What I want to know, is why someone buys one over the other.

08-23-2003, 02:59
There has always been a lot of small differences between the two. Many things standard on a GMC are optional on a Chevy such as light packages and oil coolers. In the past GMC dealers were always truck dealers and Chevy dealers were car dealers but not so now.

Trip
08-23-2003, 06:44
Other than what has already been mentioned, the biggest difference that pushed us toward GMC were the Chevy headlights. Just our preference....couldn't stand the thought of lookin' at those things all the time. :D There are no mechanical differences between the trucks that I know of.

bluenote
08-23-2003, 06:53
They are final assembled in the same plants (crew cabs in Flint, MI and I believe both regular and ext. cabs in Pontiac, MI). One frame going down the line may become a Chevy, the next a GMC. The only differences happen near the end of the line when they put the body on, and even many of those parts are the same. Although the option packages are set up somewhat differently, you can get virtually all of the same options on either one.

mackin
08-23-2003, 08:21
Originally posted by McRat:
OK, let me rephrase it:

A) Are there any options exclusive to just one?

B) Any specification differences?

C) Price differences?

D) Standard equipment differences?

What I want to know, is why someone buys one over the other. Appearance ..... Same truck chasse and running gear as Chevrolet ... Years ago, as some old timers would say, there were differances , but I couldn't tell you what..... They call that cost saving measures, today apparently...GM phased out a lot of that and their cross platform models in cars too ...
The only downfall is the accessibility to dealers as there are more Chevy then GMC .... So if you are not happy with the service your getting locally you may be up the creek .... GM has a weird policy about repair work...On the road and with warranty (breakdown)I'm sure it's a different policy as to the work that can be performed ...

Nuff of the serious stuff ...

============================

Yessirrebob
Gay Mans Chariot it is ,ah Tony has one ,nuff said ... tongue.gif

Yes the Saab'er is known as the Fag car .... How it came about, is a long and detailed visual story that if told would bring tears of laughter ......

It maybe a Faag'er but it sure did give a Five series Beemer a work out up in the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont last weekend ... :eek:

Tony gave up a possibility to go to a Redsox game today Executive Suite Corporate seats,behind the glass baby....Had FOURtickets ...We were gonna wear our Yankee hats from Monday night also,that would have been fun,all juiced up ,I'll tell you ...

So you be the judge on his heterosexual confusion ..... :eek: ;) So I wont flame him to bad ,he has to live with that decision he made last night ... ;)

Something about a babysitter,man I would have tied them kids up with a box of Captain Crunch and a gallon of milk, told them your mother will be here in a couple hours, ...
With that new TV he won ...
So we spent the night getting in trouble,panhandeling at our favorite watering hole ...

Some drunk dude got a bargain and a half ... Was all fun, you have no idea....

Mac

[ 08-23-2003, 09:02 AM: Message edited by: mackin ]

WhiteDuramax
08-23-2003, 08:58
Most things are just the outside cosmetics, I like the GMC molding a lot bette than the Chevy's. It seems like most GMC's on the lot usually have more options on them. Front end is really the big difference. I like the 01-02 Chevy HD front end best, but for 03 the GMC looks much better IMO. I like the way my 01 looks though. Its pretty much where you can get a better deal and what you like.

Cliffee
08-23-2003, 10:27
The SilveradoLT comes standard with a rear Defrogger. The GMC SLT does not. IT has to be ordered and is rare to find on dealer lot!

GMC-2002-Dmax
08-23-2003, 11:05
Mac,

Dude, I am a proud owner of the "Great Mens Chariots" and for all those Newbies here do a search if the server monster didn't eat the thread, funny stuff.

Baby sitter, TV, Redsox, too much in too little time............ :(

Seriously though at the time I bought mine I believe the GMC's were equipped better as far as packages, but again it's the same truck chassis and drivetrain. Cost difference is negligable.

I will also say that I seem to get red carpet service treatment at the Caddillac/GMC dealer I bought from.

GMC ;)

BlueOx03
08-23-2003, 11:48
Cliffee, do think the lack of rear window defoggers has anything to do with the fact your in AZ? You can't even special order an SLT without one here.

From what I've seen, GMC come with more goodies than the Chevys. My 02 Silverado 2500HD at work doesn't even have tow hooks in the front. They sure would be nice since it's a 2WD and gets stuck on wet grass!!

chevmeister
08-23-2003, 11:52
GMC-2002-Dmax
Yeah the gmc dealers give you good service, they dont want to **** you off cause they know youll be back. as for my chevy never had it to the dealer, it was built right the first time! :D :D :D
McRat
on the serious side its all cosmetic. mostly GMC "Gust Means Chrome".

GMC-2002-Dmax
08-23-2003, 12:07
Originally posted by chevmeister:
GMC-2002-Dmax
Yeah the gmc dealers give you good service, they dont want to **** you off cause they know youll be back. as for my chevy never had it to the dealer, it was built right the first time! :D :D :D
McRat
on the serious side its all cosmetic. mostly GMC "Gust Means Chrome". Last time I went in for service I got a new window and window motor :eek: .

Supposedly broke when the door was shut :eek:

Whatever.

When the chevy goes in for service you'll get a chevy GEO for a rental and I'll get a Denali or Escalade ;)

GMC,

By the way only service so far is oils changes and I have a documented fuel filter change as well.

McRat
08-23-2003, 12:12
Thanks,

I think I'm aiming at GMC just because it looks more like a Chevy used to a few years ago. I'm not too crazy about the new Chevy styling on the hood.

Applecore
08-23-2003, 20:09
I think one reason for both is so that GM can have two dealers in the same locality the is large enough for two dealers. They would not allow two Chev dealers in the same area but you will see a GMC and Chev dealer is the same area. MO (my opinion).

dmaxalliTech
08-23-2003, 21:50
Much better off with a GMC.. that way when you need to have some warr work done on it, you can bring it to me and its handled. A little trickier on the Chevy's but doable... Other then that, you cant tell the differece when the hoods up or it on the lift above you!

chevmeister
08-24-2003, 00:24
sorry GMC-2002-Dmax i had to.
other than cosmetics and the avaliability of rental cars their the same.

D'Max_2_DA_Max
08-24-2003, 07:01
The biggest difference I've noticed has been between the owners and how they post on this BB. The ones that like to slam the look of the Chevy front, because they don't like it (as though the world and GM must revolve around their taste), GMC stands for "Get More Class" tongue.gif !

Slammin is hardly "Professional Grade" tongue.gif tongue.gif !!

If you don't like it don't buy it!

For the ones that can appreciate diverstiy and can respect others preferences, GMC stands for "Got More Class" cause they've got it :D !!!

McRat, buy the one that appeals to you the most cause underneath it all there ain't much difference.

If you choose Chevy and you gotta have them thicker washers, there was a post earlier (use the search) that suggested they could be added as a dealer installed option :D :D !!

Tractorhauler
08-24-2003, 08:03
An old GMC/Chevy Mechanic once told me that A GMC is a Chevy with the bolts tightened....

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Mark

Cliffee
08-24-2003, 10:10
No its not because I live in AZ. The standard LT/SLT features (You know the ones that "COME STANDARD") do not include the rear defrogger in the SLT but they do in the LT. Probably most dealers order them in in areas thet have colder weather. Coming from back East I was shocked when I was looking at SLT's and non of them head rear defroggers.

Another note. The GMC has the pewter interior as its nicest choice and the Silverado has Grey. I think the GREY looks much better then the Pueter. A matter of taste though!

As far as the rest of the truck goes mechanically their is no difference at all. My buddy has the 03 GMC. Ive driven it and been in it many times. The Chevy front has indeed grown on me especially with some of these aftermafket grilles installed.
I like them both!

Professor
08-24-2003, 20:26
Cliffee,

I'm trying to figure out how you found a GMC without rear window defog. Unless it was work truck optioned. The option number is C49 and is standard on both the SLE and the SLT for 2003 and 2004. Ditto on the Chevy LS and LT.

Both offer the same 3 interior colors. Maybe the dealers in you area are not ordering it for the stock vehicles.

GMC-2002-Dmax
08-25-2003, 13:34
Originally posted by chevmeister:
sorry GMC-2002-Dmax i had to.
other than cosmetics and the avaliability of rental cars their the same. tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

GMC ;)