PDA

View Full Version : Dahl 100 Fuel Filter

ram/tx
08-23-2003, 06:58
A friend gave me a brand new Dahl 100 filter assembly with a Baldwin 101 filter in it. Can you'll tell me what you think of this filter, is it worth putting on the truck, what mircon filter is the 101? Thanks for any information.

jbplock
08-23-2003, 07:29
ram/tx,

FWIW, I posted the following answer to a similar question in the Fuel Filter Comparison (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=006502;p=2) thread...

Originally posted by jeephauler:
I have been following this discussion, and others regarding additional fuel filtering for some time, and am curious why the Amsoil/Dahl filtration systems have not been included in the comparisons.... jeephauler,
I purchased a Dahl 100 (http://www.baldwinfilters.com/products/dahl.html) with 2-micron (nominal) elements and heater option for my 98 6.5 (which I never got around to installing before selling the 98). IMHO, the Dahl 100 is a very high quality unit and can be used with a variety of elements (nominal 2, 10 &30 micron). It's water separator design is also excellent - maybe the best. It's also quite large - approx 13" high by 6" in diameter. After selling the 98 and buying the 03 Dmax, I had initially planned on installing the Dahl on the 03. But, after learning the details of how the Dmax fuel system worked and the associated issues with injectors, I opted not to use the Dahl because the 2micon spec on the element is a nominal rating which means it's only 50% efficient at 2-microns. Based on the CAT study that George Morrison referenced, and the discussion here in the forum at the time, I realized that the Dmax high pressure (20kpsi+) injection system needed a high efficiency 2-micron ("absolute") filter (like the CAT or Mega filters). So, I ended up selling the Dahl and buying the Megaflter for my secondary. (I had also heard about some problems with getting a good vacuum seal on the Dahl's O-rings).
Looking back, if I hadn't sold the Dahl, it could have made a good primary filter (with 30um elements) in my Lift Pump setup in lieu of the FM100 (except it's large size would put the bottom of the filter even with the frame rail). If Baldwin were to offer Dahl elements with the same High-Efficiency Microlite media used in the Megafilter (BF7635), it may be worth considering. (The last time I contacted Baldwin these were not available).
smile.gif

ram/tx
08-23-2003, 10:02
Thanks jbplock for the info. Looks like I will save the Dahl filter and maybe use it one day for a pre filter. Has anyone been useing the Air,fuel and Transmission Filters that Baldwin sells for our trucks?