PDA

View Full Version : leaking (weeping) injector

markrinker
02-02-2006, 15:47
'01 LB7. One leaking ever so slightly on the far rear passenger side. Enough to get on the valve cover below, but not dripping or spraying that I can see at idle.

How concerned should I be? No smoke, no rough idle, no codes set.

Kennedy
02-02-2006, 18:05
Is it leaking fuel from the inside of the line nut, or oil from the valve cover to line nut interface?

markrinker
02-02-2006, 20:35
It appears to be from the inside of the line nut.

Kennedy
02-02-2006, 21:29
I suppose the corrosion could have wored it's way in to a point where it weeps. See Dmax designed the injector lines to let leakage evacuate out, but they never though to put corrosion preventative or a simple umbrella seal on the lines so moisture, salt, etc can get down inside.

markrinker
02-03-2006, 06:35
Any reason not to run this set to 150K or better, unless the leakage increases? If I am to get replacements under warranty before 200K, I'd rather wait until there is a code set or problematic leakage...

Jim Brzozowski
02-03-2006, 10:12
Someone didn't happen to get some fuel on the line during changing of the filter and it ran down the line to the nut? Suggest cleaning it real good and see if it moistens back up again.
The extended warranty I think is for high fuel return rates. Not sure if they would cover a leaking injector with a replacement injector, might just replace the seals. Who Knows?

markrinker
02-03-2006, 10:49
Great idea. Its going in for another 10K service Saturday (oil/filer,fuelfilter,airfilter,spinontranyfilter,tirer otation) so I will have them clean it up good at that time and monitor...

Kennedy
02-03-2006, 17:14
When my injectors were swapped for HP units, the lines were smeared with dielectric grease to prevent rust. A guy may just want to put a few drops of a good sticky oil down the lines to keep things from corroding.

White Truck
02-04-2006, 08:57
I've replaced lines on occasion for this, even on '03 models. :eek: A little RTV around the top of the fitting to the line will keep moisture/dirt from getting in there. JK's oil idea would be great on one already dirty to keep corrosion from advancing any further.

jbplock
02-05-2006, 05:01
Originally posted by kennedy:
.. A guy may just want to put a few drops of a good sticky oil down the lines to keep things from corroding. Great idea! Some AMSOIL Heavyduty Metal Protector (http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/amh.aspx) or something similar might work for this ... The MPHD goes on as an oil and then dries with a waxy, water proof coating (like cosmoline) ... (I use it as an under coating, and on brake line fittings, etc ..)

smile.gif

Kennedy
02-05-2006, 10:55
Spray dielectric grease also would work.

MPHD has a definite stink to it. Not sure what would happen if heated...

markrinker
02-05-2006, 11:16
Great ideas. Corrosion hasn't started (yet) but I'll do this before it gets started.

precision37
02-06-2006, 12:47
Tighten up that nut (carefully), clean it and see if it still weeps.

Kennedy
02-06-2006, 18:28
Originally posted by Mark Rinker:
Great ideas. Corrosion hasn't started (yet) but I'll do this before it gets started. Being a midwest truck I'll guarrantee it looks like total crap. The nut is quite long and the rust/pitting is way down deep inside. If you ever tear into it, you may just want to plan on a new set of lines based on what I have seen.

JohnC
02-07-2006, 09:14
We use LPS 3 for this type of corrosion prevention inthe aircraft business. I think it would work well here, doesn't smell bad, and is readily available...

Kennedy
02-07-2006, 13:25
Also good stuff